Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 1:22:22 PM EDT
Hi boys and girls!

Where has all the 2 3/4" 12 Gauge 00 Buck gone?  I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and they had none! Hell the only buckshot they had was Sellior and Bellot 3".

Today I had to go to Blockbuster to rent Doom the movie, so I stopped at Walmart (I'm sorry guys) and they had no 2 3/4" 12 Gauge 00 Buck at all, hell they didn't have 00 Buck in general.

So I picked up a 25 pack of 2 3/4" Federal 4 shot.  It was only like $7.  Is that advisable to use for home defense?  (I've never got hunting with any kinda shot with a shotgun, only slugs, so I have no idea hot big the balls are for 4 shot, i just know 00 buck is really big)

Or,
Should I order some OO buck online at Sportsman Guide, they have Wolf and Sellior Bellot for about $75 for 250 shotshells.  If so, Which one is better?  I know S&B is pretty good, but what about wolf???

NOTE:  I only want 2 3/4" due to being able to fit more rounds in the magazine,

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a bunch of Wolf 00 Buck.  It was ever so slightly more expensive than the S&B, but I've heard a few more positive things about it so I decided I may as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
4Buck isn't bad, and in a full-on chest shot where the bad guy isn't wearing anything really heavy or protective, is probably ideal.

00 would make me feel better, but it's not like 4Buck is .32 ACP or anything.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Must be regional. I can buy 00 buck all day around here. (Don't need to as I have enough). Hell, even my Wally World has like 3 or 4 cases on the shelf right now.........
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't vote, because what ever you choose needs to be tested in YOUR weapon.

I tried S&B 00 in my cylinder bore Winchester at 25 yards only to find out that only 1 ball even hit in the black on a standerd siluet target. Shocked, I tryed Remington Express 2 3/4" 00 and found all but 1 ball went into COM. Simply ammazing how there could be that much differance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
About a week ago, I found ONE box of Winchester Value-Pack 2 3/4" 00 buck at Wally World. It was the only box they had. I've been to four other Wal-Marts, and no one has any. All have had the Value Packs of hollow-point rifled slugs, but no buckshot. Same story with all the Dick's stores I have tried.

I have scored several boxes of slugs. Dicks had the Value Packs on sale for $5.97/15 rounds, so I picked up a bunch.

It would be nice to find the buckshot in stock somewhere, though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]

I didn't vote, because what ever you choose needs to be tested in YOUR weapon.

I know its my weapon, but I was really asking about if either of them are any good.  (the last 2 were jokes, if you didn't get it )  I have more slugs than my arm cares to allow me to shoot, but for HD i'm not gonna use slugs obviously.

Thats surprising if the differences in two guns
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Same problem around here. Neither Walmart nor Dick's carry any buckshot (That I've been able to find). I went to BassPro yesterday and they did have a few choices from both Winchester and Remington. I bought the Winny Super-X in both OO and #1 and Remmy Express in OO. They also had some Remmy "Hevi-Shot" in OO which looked temping but at over $10 for a box of 5 I passed on that.

I plan on ordering some "tactical" loads (Hornady TAP, Ranger-T, Speer Lawman, etc.) from Northwest Reloading and testing them all to see what my new 870 likes best. Once I find what it likes the best, I'll buy a case of it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
ammoman 12 gauge

Third from the bottom is the OO buck Federal reduced recoil LE 132-00 with FLITECONTROL wad.

$37 / 50 rds ($.74 / rd)
$149 / 250 rds (<  $.60 / rd)

edit: typo
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
i dont know about you but i just got 25 boxes of Remington Tac8
cant wait to shoot some
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Where'd you get it from? what'd ya pay?

No local stores seem to have OO buck or something similiar like Tac 8 in stock.  

I'm also glad to see how many voted for Scrabble, hopefully my superior verbal and spelling skills will be enough to stop a home intruder, as I can't find any OO buck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.northwestloading.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=1_8
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#13]
the firing line is philly
it was like 4.xx a box I dont remember exactly
im also ordering more tac8 and slugger slugs
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Does the Firing Line have a website or number for orders?  I tried to search online and found nothing
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Go to Midway
Midway 2 3/4" Buckshot
The Winchester Buck is great!  It has a polymer buffer that makes it pattern better in my guns.  The S&B doesn't pattern well for me.  The Remington Express bulk pack ammo does a lot better, but it still isn't as good as Winchester.

If you have your gun set up right, this stuff absolutely rocks
Winchester 3" #1Buck

If you are wanting government surplus, bargain-basement pricing go here
9pellet 00
12pellet 00

If you want to have some serious fun, load your own (check out the 0000 Buck)
BPI Buckshot

Single Ball & Slugs

You mentioned shot sizes.  Here's some links that might help

Birdshot size table

Bird & Buck Tables
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#16]
0000 Buck
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go to Midway
Midway 2 3/4" Buckshot
The Winchester Buck is great!  It has a polymer buffer that makes it pattern better in my guns.  The S&B doesn't pattern well for me.  The Remington Express bulk pack ammo does a lot better, but it still isn't as good as Winchester.

If you have your gun set up right, this stuff absolutely rocks
Winchester 3" #1Buck

If you are wanting government surplus, bargain-basement pricing go here
9pellet 00
12pellet 00

If you want to have some serious fun, load your own (check out the 0000 Buck)
BPI Buckshot

Single Ball & Slugs

You mentioned shot sizes.  Here's some links that might help

Birdshot size table

Bird & Buck Tables

TAG...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My wal-mart has Remington 00 buck in the 15 round value packs from time to time. I usuallly buy everything they have when I see it though, and then the next few weeks I'm there I don't see it in stock.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My wal-mart has Remington 00 buck in the 15 round value packs from time to time. I usuallly buy everything they have when I see it though, and then the next few weeks I'm there I don't see it in stock.

They seem to have a 3 - 6 week replenishment cycle.  They always seemed to be out of those and the bulk pack slugs, in the past.  My brother had a polite but firm conversation with somebody in sporting goods about their slow restocking, and now they always seem to have a few on the shelf.  Of course, everybody that was buying them out may be stocked up now so it appears that they are stocking better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the author bought number 4 bird shot, not buckshot.  25 pack for 7 dollars would make that bird shot, suitable for pheasants. not suitable for peasants.

Don't use the birdshot when your life is on the line.

Dont take my word for it...

Article on shotgun ammunition performance

Go out of your way and stock up ( and practice) with 00 Buck.

for when you care enought to send the very best !
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think the author bought number 4 bird shot, not buckshot.  25 pack for 7 dollars would make that bird shot, suitable for pheasants. not suitable for peasants.

Don't use the birdshot when your life is on the line.

Dont take my word for it...

Article on shotgun ammunition performance

Go out of your way and stock up ( and practice) with 00 Buck.

for when you care enought to send the very best !

Ha!  I love it!

It's funny (not realy), how many times do we have to cover the bird vs buck topic?!

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=195451&page=1

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=193319

When are people going to learn?!  I guess it will take somebody using birdshot against an aggressor and it not working, although they may not live to tell the tale.  I darned near got chewed up by a dog I shot with birdshot... you never forget something like that!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
just use bird-shot............
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Wolf 2 3/4  00 is good bang for the buck

I'm wondering what happened to the Remington hevi Shot  ??
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm wondering what happened to the Remington hevi Shot  ??

I saw some at Bass Pro last week but for at over $10 for a box of 5, they can keep it!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ammoman 12 gauge

Third from the bottom is the OO buck Federal reduced recoil LE 132-00 with FLITECONTROL wad.

$37 / 50 rds ($.74 / rd)
$149 / 250 rds (<  $.60 / rd)

edit: typo

That FuckTard is selling the old stuff pre-FLITECONTROL
How do I know? I bought a case. It's now relegated to blasting ammo. Get Hornady Tap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top