Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 5:30:21 PM EDT
For those of you running red dots on your Steyr/MSAR/FN bullpups, do you mount your red dot forward, middle or rear on the rail?  Why do you mount it there?  I have always mounted mine in the middle, just seemed logical, but I've noticed other folks put them up front, some to the rear.  I guess what I'm looking for is if there is an advantage to mounting forward or back that I've overlooked.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my Trijicon Tripower mounted at the rear of my standard STG 9" top rail. I moved it back and forth at first just to get the eye relief parameters set for me. Then it was just a matter of what looked aesthetically right to me. For me I just liked the look of the sight close to the back end of the rail (no buis either).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I use to run my 512 all in the middle of the 9" STG rail and had the 3x behind it. Nice but alittle heavy. I didn't like the area the 512 was mounted due to the charging handle. So I sold off the 3x and moved the 512 all the way to the rear. I liked it then noticed I got a better sight picture when the 512 was all the way forward on the rail.

Since I don't run irons I picked up the 5" MSAR top rail and have been very happy and with the new Raptor CH it is a dream to run now. Plus it's nice-n-lite to boot.

Edit to add: I will get the new XPS later on making it a bit more compact on the top 5" rail.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I mount the EoTech to the rear to clear the charging handle.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww262/HS2/IMG_1101b.jpg
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I mount my optics as far to the rear as possible to maximize FOV through the optic as this is more forgiving of sloppy cheekweld.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I run my Trijicon RMR all the way to the rear. Bigger FOV and it just looks better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
The closer to your peeper, the bigger the apparent FOV.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The closer to your peeper, the bigger the apparent FOV.  

http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100169/IMG_3605/web.jpg?ver=12790143030001

Yup

And with microdots like the T-1, having it further back makes it more forgiving on the checkweld....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
To the rear to avoid the charging handle.

To contradict everything that has been said here so far, red dots are supposed to be mounted s far forward as possible to maximize peripheral vision when shooting with both eyes open.  I can see the argument with field of view on the micro dots, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
RX30 as far forward as possible. Mount reversed for CH clearance on my FS2000. Doesn't look
that cool but form follows function.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
almost all the way up.......less chance of any "splash from the ir laser/illuminator......
ism=ftwmf

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
red dots are supposed to be mounted s far forward as possible to maximize peripheral vision when shooting with both eyes open.  I can see the argument with field of view on the micro dots, though.

That's pretty much why I have mine all the way up front.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I need to order a Raptor Charging handle. The ideal is to mount the EOTech XPS2-0 more forward that I have it right now.

Raptor, Brass Buster, and a new flash suppressor are on my list of items to get for the STG, but I've been busy shelling out some cash on a SAIGA project I have going right now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I just recently mounted a red dot on loan to me in the middle of the rail to allow me to flip the sight covers up without folding down my magpul buis, but after reading about how they are supposed to be used far forward with both eyes open I might need to move mine...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Comp C3 on 5" rail ––- forward mount obscures less downrange real estate, and as has been mentioned, with Aimpoints you should only be looking "at" them, not thru them, with both eyes open. Short 5" rail also allows gripping rifle at the narrow balance point, just aft of the trigger guard. Downside, no rail space for BUIS. (On the other hand, I've invested time, money, &tc. on many a hunting trip with scoped rifles with no iron sights, and have as yet not experienced any failures from damage, flaws, etc. I know, when there are electronics and batteries involved it's a somewhat different story, but I've got a lots of confidence in the Aimpoint's reliability)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top