Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 8:22:29 PM EDT
Hello all, I'm just trying to get some information about the Khyber Pass copies of Martini-Henrys. I may have a line on one, for relatively cheap, so I thought I'd ask. The one in question is a .303 model, and according to my understanding is being sold as an antique (pre-1898). Does this sound right? I just don't want to get it paid for and find out I can't get it shipped to me. It would most probably be a wall-hanger, but here's the next question: would it be possible (assuming parts can be located/manufactured) to replace the barrel and most importantly check/heat treat the receiver so that it would be strong enough to fire? I think that would be an incredibly fun rifle to have. I've lusted after a Martini-Henry ever since I saw "Zulu" for the first time, and the .303 would be excellent since it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fire.  Thanks in advance for your responses everyone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Khyber pass Martini rifles were made well into the 1940's, and there's no easy way to authenticate its date of manufacture, if at all. Short answer? If the seller is willing to ship it, go ahead and have him do it. Chances are very slim this will land you in hot water...it's a pre-98 pattern, antique rifle....will the ATF be able to verify that it was post-98? No....no more than you can prove it is.

On the other issue, you can safely shoot commercial .303 in the Martini....but rapid bore and rifling erosion are common with modern smokeless powders. Might be neater, if you have the means, to load blackpowder .303 loads with lead to accurately duplicate the original load and shoot that sucker without worry.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot Swingset. It's up on an auction site, but we'll see if I can get it. It would be amazing to finally have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top