Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/2/2007 6:58:22 PM EDT
as stated above?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:03:09 PM EDT
I really like mine.

The only problem I've had with it was the finish. It seems to burn off after multiple mag dumps on f/a

It's seen in excess of 10k rounds of every sort of .223/5.56 you can think of and aside from the finish being mostly destroyed, the can is no worse for the wear. I bought it because the inconel construction was supposed to be really durable. So far, they're right. Also, the complete lack of POI shift was nice. I can't guarantee that you won't see any POI shift, but they sure made their advertised claim on my rifles.

As to the suppression, they're just as loud as any other quality can. They make a big, big difference over unsuppressed, but don't be fooled into thinking it'll sound like a .22. That's a bit optimistic.

Overall? Well worth the money, I'll buy another if I ever manage to wear this one out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:39:39 PM EDT
I love my 6.8 K can. It locks up tight, has zero shift in POI, and its light weight.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:23:42 PM EDT
That endcap looks thin, is it as thin as it looks?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:25:43 AM EDT
you guys with zero POI shift:

Which model are you using?
One would think that their BOTB model would be more likely than the "end mount" model to preserve POI, however their rep claims that they have identical (NONE) POI shift. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:10:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:43:03 AM EDT
I'm really happy with my 556K. Only got about 3K thru it, and it's all semi. But most is out of my 10.5" LWRC SBR. The finish is holding up well, except for some scratches/dings.

The POI shift is not noticeable on my 14.5" and 16" guns. My 10.5" shows about 1.5" down, with the can attached.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:28:25 PM EDT
I sure would like to know what's with all the latches and gizmos at the attachment point of the Surefires. I don't understand them.

I've figured the KAC swivel doodads out but not the SF...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:30:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MitchTheWitch:
I sure would like to know what's with all the latches and gizmos at the attachment point of the Surefires. I don't understand them.

I've figured the KAC swivel doodads out but not the SF...

i'm not sure about the shorty, but the full size is simply a ring you twist to tighten the can down on its mount, it has a ratcheting system to keep it tight.

enough people have asked me about this, i'm going to make a video showing how the surefire mounting system works.

i'll post it in the next few days.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:45:51 AM EDT
Wont be as good as Zack's video, but this might help. This is how the 556K mounts.

There is a lug, inside the suppressor body, that mates up with the notch on the bottom of the flash hider/comp mount, seen here. Also note the raised flange, at the back of the mount.

With the lock ring unscrewed fully, you place the suppressor over the mount, and index the lug into the notch.

The lock ring has an eccentric shape, so when you tighten it up, it pulls the suppressor back into the mount. There are small teeth cut into the top of the raised flange on the back of the mount.

The locking lever (seen here between my fingers) has a hooked end, that ratchets into the teeth on the top of the mount. This locks the suppressor in place.

To install, you unscrew the ring, index the suppressor on the mount, and tighten the ring till it stops.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:14:24 AM EDT
Thank you very much. So you basicall slide the unit over the FH and the rear cap has an elongated hole that when turned 90* won't come back off? And that hook thing just keeps it from turning the 90* required...

How much is that particular one, retail?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:25:42 AM EDT
here's the video. i'm not a professional video maker, so it probably sucks.

but, i think it illustrates the point well enough.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:55:04 AM EDT
One of the top on the list and is one of the most expensive.

AAC, OPS Inc. KAC, Surefire is what I would go with.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:23:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zack3g:
I really like mine.

The only problem I've had with it was the finish. It seems to burn off after multiple mag dumps on f/a

img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/ff056fe8.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/3edfdf7a.jpg

It's seen in excess of 10k rounds of every sort of .223/5.56 you can think of and aside from the finish being mostly destroyed, the can is no worse for the wear. I bought it because the inconel construction was supposed to be really durable. So far, they're right. Also, the complete lack of POI shift was nice. I can't guarantee that you won't see any POI shift, but they sure made their advertised claim on my rifles.

As to the suppression, they're just as loud as any other quality can. They make a big, big difference over unsuppressed, but don't be fooled into thinking it'll sound like a .22. That's a bit optimistic.

Overall? Well worth the money, I'll buy another if I ever manage to wear this one out.

IS this the "K" or the "AR"

THANKS!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:33:23 PM EDT
i use the full size. i think the current designation is FA556AR. mine is actually a M4FA.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:54:53 AM EDT

i use the full size. i think the current designation is FA556AR. mine is actually a M4FA.

Thanks!!

Anyone with the shortie care to comment on POI shift?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:25:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gthirteen:

Thanks!!

have you actually read the thread? or did you just look at the pictures?

read the post by Dr_Nimslow.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:53:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2007 7:54:44 AM EDT by Gthirteen]

Originally Posted By Gthirteen:

Thanks!!

have you actually read the thread? or did you just look at the pictures?

read the post by Dr_Nimslow.

dude, decaf.

would it make you feel better if I had written:

"Anyone ELSE with the shortie care to comment on POI shift?"

Or do you think I'm stupid for wanting info from other users?

BTW nice video....pal.
Top Top