Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/23/2004 10:27:40 AM EST
for home defence? What does everyone think about the practicality of this. It gives your position away, but a light with a laser following it would tell me to get the 'f' out of there if I was a BG. What do you all think?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:42:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 10:45:02 AM EST by M4]
I think it's obviously good to be able to illuminate a target in a dark environment prior to the commitment of pulling the trigger. Gotta know exactly what it is you're about to kill. What ever form that illumination comes from (hand held light, mounted light...whatever) that works for you, it's a good thing.

As for lasers...never saw a good marksman who owned one for defensive purposes. Not saying they have no value at all, but to me they are pointless. If a bad guy is close enough and threatening enough for me to put a laser dot on his chest, that guys worth putting a bullet hole through that same spot.

I'm not interested in brandishing a weapon to kill someone who doesn't deserve it, but if you break in to my home, I am not at all interested in the "wonder if a laser dot will do the trick" experiment. I know exactly where the bullet will go, don't give a rats ass if the bad guy does or not....he'll find out soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:29:00 PM EST
Thanks for the reply, and I agree with what you said. However, I bring up the laser thing because it seems to me that a BG would interpret a laser as being attached to a firearm. Just a light could be, well, just that, a flash light in hand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:09:36 PM EST
Lasers are for mall ninjas, IMO. While you're following the dot, the bad guy is found you. A light is better built too, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:21:54 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:45:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 8:48:01 AM EST by M4]

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:
In my state of VA, you CANNOT shoot an intruder if they have no weapon! So they can basically come into your home and steal everything you own and if they are unarmed you can do nothing more than call the police. This is where a light and a laser would come in handy IMHO.

In my world, that's where an "unknown" weapon" appears in the clutched, dead hand of the guy the medical examiner carts off.....but I understand your example. Hoping a red bead, or a bright light prevents harm coming to me or loved ones aint happening. Not a chance I'm willing to take....and frankly, breaking & entering, with ANY intention should be viewed as a potentially VERY dangerous line of work by those who do it. Getting shot should be considered a hazard of the job.
Top Top