Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 3:49:48 PM EDT
Besides the CMP garand, which milsurp rifles do you guys think is worth buying for plinking and whatever else. I dont want no cheap POS Turk mauser, but something with matching numbers and a clean bore.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Ahh, don't be such a snob. Mosins and Mausers are great values and (for the most part) very good shooters. Even the Turks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Fundamentally, I love the design of both the Mosin and the Mauser. Problem is the two Turks I have orderd did not extract at all and the two Mosins I have had needed a hammer to open the bolt after each shot. Therefore, no non-matching guns any more for me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The STG 58 parts kits combined with a DSA rcvr builds an exceptional rifle for under $600.00. Mags are $5.00  which is a big plus.

I second the mosin and mauser. Buy the best you can find, like new or new if available. I've been real happy with the Yugo M48s. Ammo for both is dirt cheap and pletiful.

I had a deal going with Rose's dept store here in Fayetteville. I got friendly with the sporting goods guy ( or he got tired of me asking to see rifles). He used to let me go in the back room and go thru all the surplus rifles. I'd start at about 0900 on saturday and spend about 3 hours back there with a cleaning rod and a couple of hundred patches.
I found some real jewels. Picked up a No4 Enfield for $39.00. This rifle was not like new, it is new. Perfect. Still sitting in safe.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yea....I forgot the CMP M44 .22 trainers. Bought 3 and each was like new. Great bargain.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Mosin-Nagant M44 carbines can be had still "in the wrap", arsenal refurbished to like new condition and all-matching. Usually for less than $100.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Well, you shouldn't buy " sight unseen" with these.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a "in the wrap" Mosin form Aim inc, last time they had a batch in, I unwrapped it when it showed up and it's as good as new, everything matches, shoots great,No feeding or ejecting problems of any kind, Blue was 100% and nicely done,Bore is new, shined like a mirror, rifling is sharp and crisp,Aim has some now, for $69.00 if they're like mine you can't go wrong!
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The Mossberg M44 training rifles from CMP are a good buy, $95 shipped, and the ones I shot were tackdrivers. The don't come with magazines or front sights but those are readily available. You don't really need a magazine to shoot it single shot.

Edit: Oops, I didn't read your post pdm. I agree.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#10]
The Moisins are a great choice.  Don't forget the SMLE.  10 shots fast.  They're homely but ammo and parts are available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I bought a "in the wrap" Mosin form Aim inc, last time they had a batch in, I unwrapped it when it showed up and it's as good as new, everything matches, shoots great,No feeding or ejecting problems of any kind, Blue was 100% and nicely done,Bore is new, shined like a mirror, rifling is sharp and crisp,Aim has some now, for $69.00 if they're like mine you can't go wrong!

I too got one from AIM this week, new in wrap.   Mine was made in 1946, and had the hammer and sickle on it!  
Sweet!  Clean, easy 99% if not 100%.  With bayo.  Lots of cosmo in the bore. Still need to clean up, but a keeper for sure.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I forgot, I seen one of those Mitchel Mausers in person.  Goes for $300-350.  
All I can say is hot damm! Clean, 100% perfect. Teak stocks, and all.  
Pricey, but a gun you buy, and keep in the safe. Its too nice to shoot.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know if a "dollar" limit is set here, but the Swede M38's and M96's give exceptional value for the money.  I see them for under $200 in excellent condition quite often.  6.5x55 Federal Match is available from Ammoman for $12 a box of 20.

For plinking, find a mauser in 7.62.  I just got a nice Israeli converted M1908 short rifle for under $200.  Looks like it was rebuilt and then never re-issued.

Don't be to hard on the Turk mausers.  They have been used and abused, then rebuilt with primative tools such as rocks and logs.  I collect the M1893's.  I bought them a few years back $100 for 10, U-dig through the pile deal.  They were originally built in Germany, so quality of workmanship and materials are the same as South American exports.  It is what the Turks did to them, after they received them.  The Turks also wrecked a lot of nice WWI vintage bayonets.  

OSA

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking for a good bolt action 30-06. I'm thinking a M1903 Spr., but any will do. It will be for plinking, it doesn't have to be a tack driver, and I'm looking for something under/around $100-$200.

Any suggestions?

Oh, forgot to say: where could I get one? want links to sites.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the country club my good fellow,
please sit down and enjoy some wine and cheese with us blue bloods

Don't be perturbed by these ruffians some of us more cultured fellows also have more refined tastes than the common M-48 or Turk mauser.

Imo one of the better buys around are those imi m1 carbines that are floating around. Their relatively cheap and who among us cant say the little carbine isn't a fun plinker?

Another choice if you can find them anymore are those SWEEDISH mausers.
Their not used and abused like just about every other mauser on the face of the planet.
Their almost always matching and bores are very crisp. They are very accurate too. The 6.5x55 round won't leave you with  a black and blue shoulder when you done shooting, definitely a plus.

Anything else worth while your going to have to put them together your self like the fal's, ak's and such.

Now dont forget to tip the door man when your done here ok
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Enfields!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]
The FAL STG 58 is a good way to go.I've got a like new $275 STG58 kit.Just waiting on my $239 Imbel Receiver from Sarco and I'll have a like new FAL for under $600.Mags for $5 like new and $8 new are a huge plus.

The Cetme is another good deal.Sometimes it's hit or miss with Century but the only major problem has been windage adjustment and Century will fix it.I know it's a pain to send a new weapon straight back to Century but they will fix it and where else can you get a HK(well almost HK) for $400.Mags are a plus on this also.Just make sure you get the SW receiver.I love my Cetme.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had the pleasure of picking up two unshot H&R M12s. I've only shot one of them, waiting on new sight bases for the Redfield sights. An absolute joy to shoot either prone or offhand and will shoot just about any ammo decently. Turned into a tackdriver with the new Eley EPS ammo and showed MOA accuracy all the way to 100 yards with Eley Club. I like this rifle so much I have ,for the time being, put my much higher priced Anschutz back into the safe. I had a friend drill and tap it for me. I picked both up for $700. Terrific value IMHO. If you can find one with the sights package for $450 it would be a great buy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't knock the Mosins, if you want a real good shooting MN get a Finn. As for the Mausers, I would say the Swedes are the best shooters, atlest in my experiance. I didn't see anyone mention the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin K31, they are built like a Swiss watch, very unique stright pull bolt and very accurate (read tack-driver).

Hooligan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top