Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 4:06:42 PM EDT
I bought a  Bushmaster XM15 E2S and after every shot the spent round jams with the round from the mag. I tried three different mags with no difference. For some reason the spent round is not being extracted. The dealer said a guy had bought it and kept it a week and did fire a few rounds through it before trading it off for another gun. It did still have the warranty card still in the box. Something smells fishy too me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the spent casing stuck in the chamber or just kinda lying in there?  Do you have to jam it out with a cleaning rod etc.?  Are there any marks on the rim of the case from the extractor?  Could be a dirty chamber, try cleaning per manufacturers instructions.  Doesn't sound like a mag problem since the round is stuck in the chamber.  If no marks on the case then it could be due to a broken extractor.  My $.02

ques
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not stuck in the chamber, just lying in there on top of the round from the mag. I should have mentioned that I'm shooting plain old Guatamalan 55gr fmj ammo. Its got me to wondering if the previous owner didn't swap out the bolt from another gun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your extractor.  See if you can chamber, extract and eject a round by hand.  

The extractor (and springs) are sacrificial parts.  Get spares.

There's not that much to this rifle.  If the main components are OK we should be able to get your shit to 3600 psi.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this problem and it was the ejector. It was sticking in kind of a half and half position. A little steel wool and one of those little plastic things for the spring fixed it right up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I had this problem and it was the extractor.  I put an o-ring around the extractor spring and the problem ended.  Although the case extracted from the chamber, a lack of sufficient tension caused the ejector to release the case from the extractor at the wrong time and screwed up everything.  There is a lot going on all in the space of a very short time and if the timing issues aren't resolved the rifle hangs up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Ranger, was that an interpretation of what tc6969 said, or your own extractor story?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]
No, tc6969 referred to cleaning up the ejector.  I am referring to cleaning up the extractor.  Although the above problem is billed as an extraction problem, my reading of it is that the rifle extracts the cartridge case from the chamber, but fails to toss it through the ejection port.  The cure, at least for me, was to fix extraction that worked to get the case out of the chamber, but did not work properly in that it didn't interplay properly with the action of the ejector and get the case clear of the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top