Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 8:59:52 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a new Beretta, whats the differences between a 92FS and the  92FS Brigadier in 9mm? Has anyone shot both.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have carried and shot both extensively in 9mm.  I like the heft of the Brig style slide for rapid fire.  BUTT... it is difficult finding a holster the carry the wider Brig. slide.  I had to stretch a standard leather holster and was never really satisfied with the fit.  If I chose now I would choose the standard size, for only the holstering issue.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone shot both

Yep. Owned. Shot. Competed.

Brig is a beefy slide. Best OWB holster I could find was a Wilson Combat (and I wasn't impressed).

My personal rec - get an FS. That E2 that I had was a brick. Could not imagine packin that around.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned the 92FS and shot the Brigadier.  The heavier slide of the Brigadier was designed around people who shot a LOT of rounds.  Supposedly, it was supposed to be a remedy for the slide problem that is not really that prevalent of a problem.  The heavier slide really isn't necessary in a 9mm, so I'd go with the standard 92FS.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got the new Beretta 96 .40 cal VERTEC,

Check it out, I am amazed at how much I like this gun. I have most of my guns in .40 cal so this one made more sense than a 9mm to me. I have been carring the Vertec daily and love it!

You can't go wrong with a Beretta.

Just check out the .40 cal before getting a 9mm.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the .40 Beretta 96 Brigadier Inox. The Brigadier has a heavier slide and removeable front sight.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Naturally, the Brigadier outranks the FS (first sargeant).  
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
FS, it's an awesome weapon.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just got the new Beretta 96 .40 cal VERTEC,

Check it out, I am amazed at how much I like this gun. I have most of my guns in .40 cal so this one made more sense than a 9mm to me. I have been carring the Vertec daily and love it!

You can't go wrong with a Beretta.

Just check out the .40 cal before getting a 9mm.

Thanks Everyone. I'm going to replace my Smith & Wesson Sigma 9F, and still want to keep a 9mm. I have only held the VERTEC, but I like the grip of the 92 better. I have large hands and the grip seems better when I shot a friends 92 a while ago.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
does the vertec take older 92 9mm mags?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, the Vertec takes the standard 92FS magazines.  

However.  The bad thing I see with the Vertec which I just bought last month is this....

The trigger is FRICK'N HORRIBLE!!!!!

It's nothing like the 92FS trigger (which ain't special either)

The Vertec's first DA trigger is long and feels really "spongy".  That's the best I can describe it.

Then, the following trigger pull (SA) is very spongy too.  It feels very uncomfortable.  I was sadly disappointed.

I'm wondering if there is any good gunsmith that can give the Vertec trigger a "tune up".

I know that if anything is "tuned" or messed with on a Beretta trigger regarless of handgun (Vertec, 92, 96 etc...) Beretta instantly voids their warranty on the gun.

I'm very dissappointed with the Vertec because of the long long long long long ..... & "spongy" feel of the trigger.  

Until Beretta changes the trigger, I'd highly recommend buying a 92FS model instead.

Just my .2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the VERTEC due to the smaller grip! I have smaller hands and it fits me perfect. As far as the trigger goes I don't have te same problem???? My trigger seems nice, I wonder if there could be a difference?

I read an article a while back about a Marine who carried the Beretta for years and now does trigger and slide jobs on them i.e. bar sto barrel and trigger stops...

I think his name is Langon, Eldon?

I could be wrong I'll go and look the article up.

The .40 is way better than 9mm IMO.
Check out a Brigader 96 in .40
large Grip.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Ernest Langdon is the Beretta trigger guy. www.langdontactical.com/
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
THATS the guy! He does the best Beretta work. I saw a few and handeled his Berettas at a gun show and man his triggers were SWEET! The Bar-Sto barrels he uses and gunsmiths lock up like a vise, very nice accessories also.

A massaged .40 cal 96 VERTEC might be just the ticket.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Berretta Elite .40 S&W w/ Brig. Slide. I bought a holster but like many have pointed out it was tight and wouldn't fit right.  I had to unscrew the holster a little around the bottom edge and basically shove the gun in . It was a tight fit and then each day I tightened the screws back up a little. Now the screws are back to being the way they should be and the holster has developed a memory and the gun fits the holster nicely.

Edited to add that this gun is balanced very nicely and points very naturally. Unlike some composite guns which feel top heavy this Berretta has a very nice feel to it, kinda like a nice heavy watch.  Its a good piece.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top