Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 5:54:12 PM EDT
After buying a couple boxes of Hornady's Light Mag .308, I was told that under no circumstances should I shoot it through an M1A.

Ok. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be a good hunting round for an M1A?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used SST light mag, SST standard velocity, and 150gr Win. Ballistic silvertips thru my bolt gun on hogs & deer w/ great results. Any standard pressure & velocity ammo should be fine.

I've just zeroed my new M1A EBR w/ Win. 150gr Ballistic SilverTips for hogs & deers, I have a hog hunt in about a week, I'll report on how that goes
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
168gr Silvertips -- best friend uses these.

150gr Partition Golds -- I use these.

Both have taken deer with no longer than a 25yd run after shot...

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
the M1A gas system is "self-regulating" in that it only uses what it needs - loads way out of the norm may be too much for it on a regular basis but i don't see how.  perhaps someone with gunsmithing experience can elaborate.

overall, i would think any standard pressure hunting load 150 to 180 grain in the .308 should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm assuming deer size animal...the 155 AMAX and 150 Nosler ballisitic tips should both work well.

Anything bigger or thicker skinned I would start looking for the bonded types bullets or Barnes X-bullets.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the M1A gas system is "self-regulating" in that it only uses what it needs - loads way out of the norm may be too much for it on a regular basis but i don't see how.  perhaps someone with gunsmithing experience can elaborate.

overall, i would think any standard pressure hunting load 150 to 180 grain in the .308 should be fine.

Though I am new to M1A, and the M1A is a self regulating due to the excess/unused gas vent hole at bottom of piston tube, I assume magnum loads being No-No cause the magnum load creates higher pressure hence faster velocity bullet, causing the more recoil force on bolt and extra speed on the op-rod, kind of like +p+ ammo on handguns cause more accelerated wear.

Who wants extra fatigue wear on your M1A when standard pressure ammo, high quality hunting bullets will do just fine.

ETA: I use magnum loads on my beefy bolt gun, but not too much also cause my standard velocity ammo has great results too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
under no circumstances use the light magnum ammo in your M1a, unless you shut the gas system off.  The M1a's gas system is more robust then the garands but to say that you can fire anything in it is just not right.  You still have to keep the ammo in a range of pressures that the M1a was designed around.  That means powder with a burning rate no slower then varget or IMR4064 and bullets under 180 grs in weight.  Anything else and your asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had great results accuracy and terminal performance wise with Federal Premium 165 Boattails.

They are the closest "match" to 168 B.T. Match ammo.

Killed deer like struck by lightning!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Over pressure rounds or hot Bubba Reloads will ruin an M1a / M14 just as easy as an M1. Stick with 150-180max bullets with appropriate powder for the M1a/M1 at usual velocities and use LC military cases. If you have too shoot commercial ammo turn off the gas system and use the rifle as a straight pull.

Too think that the M1a/M14 has a self regulating gas system so you can shoot anything in it is DEAD WRONG !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top