Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2007 7:30:41 AM EDT
I am doing a 3 week Backpacking / Nature Photography Trip this summer, but I can't decide on a good Sidearm for protection. We are going to be traveling pretty deep in the backcountry in the Rocky Mountains. We will be in the heart of Grizzly Bear country not to mention Mountain Lions as well as an assortment of other animals that I would rather not be a meal of.

What would you guys take as a sidearm?????

Oh and By the way I have already choosen a Rifle, so don't suggest one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
BIG REVOLVER.  Stainless is preferred, also something with Magnum at the end of the name.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. w/ 5.5" barrel. Stainless.  It is a little heavy, but I feel much better when it's on my side.  Go with a heavy (270-300gr.) solid, like the Garrett.  They can be had used pretty cheap.  Fire for funtion and have the spring checked or changed.  Double action strikes can be too light with an old spring.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
A stainless .44 magnum revolver. I used to have a Dan Wesson 744 for just such occasions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#4]
.45 LC, .41 mag or .44 mag..

the design is your choice.
having said that i have used blackhawks, redhawks and S&W, all have been fantastic sidearms.

the 5.5 inch blackhawk is an awesome tool.
manliness i tell you.

i carry a 6 inch 629. i have been seriously comtemplating returning a 5.5 blackhawk to the battery, just to lighten the load.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Look for a double action, 6 inch barrel,stainless and load it with 300 grain XTPs. I carry a S&W 629 with a 6 inch ported barrel when I hunt black bear with my bow. It is quick to point and easy to carry. I wear a cross draw holster and have 2 speed loaders on my side. Carrying my bow with my left hand leaves the right for unexpected trouble.

My $.02
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are backpacking the whole time, weight might be a consideration.

The Glock 20 with hot loaded 10mm is not a bad way to go.  It gets up to .41 Mag balistics.  

Otherwise, if it was something I was going to carry a lot, and maybe not shoot so much (like while backpacking), I might consider one of the lightweight S&W revolvers.  The Mountain Gun line isn't bad.  I've shot one of the scandium S&W .44 Mags.  It was unpleasant, but some different grips would have made a world of difference.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My suggestion....

Super Redhawk Alaskan

I've been drooling over it for weeks!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on how much you want to spend... my personal favorite (that I don't own yet) is a Magnum Research BFR, in .45-70.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Super Redhawk Alaskan. That is how I would go
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Most people here will say .44 Mag, which is fine for a regular hike, but most people here are "couch commando's" who will tell you to pack more than they could carry into deep woods.

I am an experienced backpacker.  I know the importance of packability.    

Personally, I would go lighter.  I wouldn't take more than 4" .357 Magnum.  Both the pistol and the ammo will be lighter and you will need the weight savings to pack the other things you will need.

If you really do get attacked, it will probably be at night.  That means you'd be dead before you had a chance to do anything about it anyway.  If that happens, it probably is your own damned fault for not hanging all food items/food trash from a tree far from the tent spot before bedding down.

I've spend many a night deep in bear country alone with no gun at all.  Alone.  I never got into packing a gun because I had a 70 pound pack already.

The odds are greater that you'll die on the highway en route to the trail than getting eaten by the bear!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
New blackhawk stainless 4&5/8 inch barrel in 45 colt!  It will bring a lot of hurt with it!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
.44 magnum. And not with a short barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#13]
If you consider a Magnum Research BFR, I'd get it in a .450 Marlin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most people here will say .44 Mag, which is fine for a regular hike, but most people here are "couch commando's" who will tell you to pack more than they could carry into deep woods.

I am an experienced backpacker.  I know the importance of packability.    

Personally, I would go lighter.  I wouldn't take more than 4" .357 Magnum.  Both the pistol and the ammo will be lighter and you will need the weight savings to pack the other things you will need.

If you really do get attacked, it will probably be at night.  That means you'd be dead before you had a chance to do anything about it anyway.  If that happens, it probably is your own damned fault for not hanging all food items/food trash from a tree far from the tent spot before bedding down.

I've spend many a night deep in bear country alone with no gun at all.  Alone.  I never got into packing a gun because I had a 70 pound pack already.

The odds are greater that you'll die on the highway en route to the trail than getting eaten by the bear!!!

serioulsy I agree a lite wieght 357 from S&W and scrap the rifle all together unless there is a reason you need it beyond self defense the pistol will do fine

I know I have practically thrown jokers out of a deck of cards to save weight
every ounce counts also follow proper camp santation protocol.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I would just carry the pistol, but if you're going to go with a rifle, I wouldn't bother with a handgun. Use the space/weight savings for more important things like food, water, or a spare flashlight.

But that's just me.

If was to carry a pistol, I too would go with Glock 20 + double tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top