Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 11:34:38 AM EDT

I'm not in the market for a specific rifle, but, probably like you, I like to browse.  I'll look at anything out there.  I like guns that are some mix of fun to shoot, accurate, cheap (and you can't get all three...)  So I sometimes look at imports.

When I look at things like SKS's, Enfields, AK's with US parts, etc., I keep hearing "the price is going up, because of the import ban."  For instance, I was looking at the Gibbs Enfield Carbine, and they say, pretty soon you won't be able to get any more, because the Clintons signed some executive order banning further imports.

I'm NOT referring to the '94 AW act.  Something seems to be drying-up the supply of basic import military rifles.

I see Chinese SKS's getting scarce.  There are a lot of Yugo SKS's out there, but "there soon won't be any more."  Old, beater bolt guns from wars in who-knows-what foreign land, covered in cosmoline, are going, going, gone.  If you look at the Gibbs Web site they're out-of stock on some models and don't seem able to get any more.  I see AK prices starting to climb.  People say: "So-and-so importer sez they can't get any more."  I bought my SAR-1 for $320 last year, and at a recent gun show I didn't see but 2, and those were in the $375-and-up range.

Just what's going on?  How could an executive order signed by Clinton still be in effect under George W?  Is the US Guv. still siezing and chopping up old surplus rifles?  Is there really an "import ban" for anything that burns gunpowder?

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been buying like crazy because I see the same thing. EVERYONE is posting things like "When these are gone this is it..."

I have a hard time with the idea that in a couple of years, a pre-ban SKS that used to cost $90 will be going for the current 2001 price of a pre Colt. What will pre Colts cost by then??

Of course the other side of the coin shows cheaper AR kits, etc with all USA parts.

Maybe someone will start knocking out cheap US SKS receivers. Even though I think it is stupid, I am out to shoot. I could personally care less about a bayonet lug and I can permenantly mount a muzzle brake on any postban barrel.

If the SHTF, I can always figure out a way to attach a blade to any gun. Duct tape and a good hunting blade on the end of a 10/22 will suffice if the alternative is subjugation.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]

EVERYONE is posting things like "When these are gone this is it..."

My question is: Is there REALLY a ban or regulation that is cutting-off supply, or is it all a sham?

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a real ban on importation of rifles and weapons that do not have a sporting use.  It came about because of an executive order made by Gearge H. W. Bush back in 1989.  Some say it was because of a falling out between him and the NRA when the NRA criticized his record.

Some weapons were reconfigured to get past the 1989 ban, but the 1994 Klinton Crime Bill fixed many of those loopholes.  Any gun being imported into the country for civilian use has to meet a certain set of criteria.  The HK SL8-1 and USC are examples.  Both are based off combat weapons, but have been neutered.  They cannot have a flash supressor, pistol grip, or even the ability to take magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It came about because of an executive order made by Gearge H. W. Bush back in 1989.  Some weapons were reconfigured to get past the 1989 ban, but the 1994 Klinton Crime Bill fixed many of those loopholes.

But that implies that ALL THE AK's, SKS's, SMLE's, that we've been buying for the past 5 or 10 years have been from the warehouse.

If this were true, people like Century had to have GIANT warehouses full before '89 & '94.  And bad business sense, because it would have been smarter to sell a TRICKLE of them at hugely inflated prices.  Why would the prices go up NOW?

Is this really true?  There really are no more "post-ban" SKS's and Enfields, etc. getting into the country?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy,
Are you aware of any plans by a domestic company to produce AK clones with 100% US made parts. Heck, I'd think that a BM or RRA made AK would sell like crazy as long as it accepted double stack magazines and didn't use some of the inferior US parts we've seen so far.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The problem is not the 1989 Import Ban (which actually was a revision to the import criteria of the GCA68).  The problem is that in 2000, Klinton signed an Executive Order, under pressure from the UN, to help "reduce arms trafficing" by banning the importation of any surplus military barrels or receivers.  Obviously, barrels and receivers are key components, and are generally the most expensive components, of a rifle.

This is one of the reasons why there are so many US-made receivers for foreign rifles being made, and you'll soon see domestic barrels being made also.  Of course, the prices for these guns with US parts will be much higher than imported surplus parts.

-Troy

DING.DING.DING.DING.DING.DING!!!!!

Hooray, an answer!  Thank you Troy!

Which leads to the question:  Why doesn't GWB rescind the Executive order?

I fear the reason is that he's cut of the same cloth as his father.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top