Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/23/2002 3:34:01 PM EDT
A friend has one of these AR clone rifles and it is loud as hell when you stand next to him while he's firing it. I didn't see any holes in it. Is this some kind of brake or what???

Thanks!

BBURN
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 3:37:00 PM EDT
It isnt an AR clone. It used some parts though. Its a muzzle crown protector, Basically it replaced the FH.
GG
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:34:10 PM EDT
Well what the hell does that mean? A muzzle crown protector? So are you saying that it's just a hunk of metal and serves no purpose other than keeping the end of the barrel pretty?

Disappointed,

BBURN
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:01:41 PM EDT
It's a peice of metal that is machined to look like a flash supressor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:03:40 PM EDT
It's a piece of metal that is machined to look like a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:50:05 PM EDT
That thing on the end is decoration. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And the DR200 is louder than the AR because of the gas system.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:00:16 PM EDT
The DR-200 is a neat little AR/AK hybrid. The ROK took the best of both systems and produced one helluva bastard!

The DR has the AR bolt carrier which is combined with the AK gas system.

I had one and I loved it, however I couldn't find replacement parts to save my a$$ - so I sold it.

If you ever get your hands on one - check it out. They're neat... like the AR-180... an idea that was way before its time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:42:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BBURN:
Well what the hell does that mean? A muzzle crown protector? So are you saying that it's just a hunk of metal and serves no purpose other than keeping the end of the barrel pretty?

Disappointed,

BBURN

You hit it right on the nose for being a smart ass. Since the laws are effect, Thats all it is a hunk of metal on the end to make the barrel look pretty and cover the threads so it can be imported.
GG
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:32:28 AM EDT
I seem to recall Kurt posting a pic of a DR200 that that had the hunk of metal replaced with one of his A2 brakes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:45:24 AM EDT
Drilling holes willy-nilly into the clusterbump might be fun.
Better have a pro do it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:22:09 AM EDT
I own a DR200. The funny thing on the end does provide some flash reduction. I have shot it at night with MilSpec ammo and all I get is a small, I mean peach pit, flash/fireball at the muzzle.

As for it being a clusterbump, I would say my DR200 has been the single most reliable semi-auto weapon I have ever owned. It does not care if the ammo is brass cased, lacquer coated, dirty, corroded, dented, mix and match, light reloads, etc.

Every round goes bang and the action never fails to cycle. The only jams, ever, were within the first 100 rounds, three of them as I recall, since then it has never failed.

As for accuracy, the gun is equally impressive. The gas tube does seem to cause the point of impact to change at 100 yards when firing a full 30 round mag followed quickly by another. 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with all factory original internals.

I hear it said that replacement parts are non-existent. So far I have needed no replacements. I have heard that fully replacing the DR trigger assembly, trigger, hammer, etc. with AR parts are acceptable, but I have not tried it.

I do however shoot my Bushmaster shortie instead of the DR to save wear and tear on my DR.

I paid 400 for mine at a gunshow, and love the thumbhole stock, fits like a glove. I plan to buy another if I find it at a reasonable price.

Most of the DRs I see at gunshows have the <cough> folding stock and pistol grip, that I am sure <cough> is not illegal, right? When I find a true post ban, thumbhole again it will have a new home.

TheRedGoat
Top Top