Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/17/2006 3:08:14 PM EDT
Hi Guys,

My order for a CMP Field Grade M1 Garand Winchester has just went to processing. Hopefully in a couple weeks it will show up.

I thought about getting a Springfield, but then decided on the Winchester. Has anybody received one of them yet? What condition are they looking like?

Also, since it's my first one from the CMP, I was hoping some of you experts with all the experience could give my some tips on what's the best and easiest way to clean the cosmoline off of the stock and metal is? I'm not planning on refinishing unless it is really bad.

According to the CMP website, they suggest cheese cloth and pure 100% Tung Oil for the stocks. I have a few of my own ideas, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:13:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 3:17:11 PM EDT by DOW]
A tub, mineral spirits, and several bristle brushes of varying sizes. For the bore, run a mineral spirit soaked patch or 20 through the bore.

That's all you need to remove cosmoline.

ETA
Wallpaper tubs work great to contain the whole mess. They're disposable and can be found in Home Depot, etc.

As far as the tung oil goes, it's all I use and all you need. Lots of guys will recommend BLO (boiled linseed oil) but I prefer tung oil, which was the original finish applied at SA IIRC. BLO smokes under rapid firing, whereas tung oil will not.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:18:16 PM EDT
I am very satisfied with my FG Winnie. The metal and stock is nice. The handguards would not make good kindling wood.

RWW
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:10:44 PM EDT
I must have lucked out. My field grade did not have cosmoline on it. The only thing I have done to it is apply some blo to the wood.

As far as mechanicals, the rifle has an intermitant premature ejections problem. I found the clip latch spring was a full 1/4 inch shorter than the new one I replaced it with. I test tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:51:20 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:55:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:54:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 6:59:05 AM EDT by mutt148]
My Winnie field grade
Top Top