Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2013 6:58:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2013 7:18:45 PM EDT by FreezinSig]
I love my takedown that I picked up on wednesday. I have put almost 500 rounds through it the past 5 days and I have found some shortcomings..

I LOVE this thing.. but....

I hate the trigger
I hate the mag release (with the 10rd mags, 25 is easy, AK style.
I hate the bolt catch release...

I have seen and used today, the Tac-Sol extended mag latch, and for $30-40, I'm pretty much set on this..

I have heard Volquartsen (sp) makes a replacement mag catch release...

Now for the trigger. Don't need/want some super light target trigger. This is a pack gun for life, so something METAL and doesn't feel like a sandy vagina would be great.

After these 3 items, what else would be wise to replace?

And some pics of it with 15000 of its closest friends.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:23:11 PM EDT
The volquartsen target hammer helped my trigger alot

Only 40 bucks or so
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:14:13 PM EDT
A sling and an oversize bolt knob.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:08:58 PM EDT
Modification to a stock bolt catch is free and can be done with instructions on the interwebz, and a decent trigger (there are lots out there). That would leave you quite a bit of extra, if I were you I'd buy a sling, mags, and ammo w/ that even though it looks like you have quite a bit. If you think you may want to suppress it at some point then use the extra $$ to have the barrel threaded, get higher iron sights to see over the can, and buy a cheap polyurethane buffer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:55:21 AM EDT
You can do the bolt catch mod yourself fairly easy but I got a combo target hammer and bolt release package on sale from Midway for $35

Linky

It's all your'e really gonna need. It's pretty much plug and play and takes about 5 minutes to install if your handy. You won't need the included springs. It dropped my trigger pull from 6+/- to 2.5-3 pounds. So much better!

The mag release is a matter of preference. I have three 10/22's and the all carry different releases but I can't tell you which is the best. I guess I prefer the Ruger extended paddle style.

roy d...but then again anything is better than stock
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 6:59:07 AM EDT
Oh yeah...the poly buffer can be made for $0.71 and a trip to home depot rather than buying one. Just buy a poly 1/4" x 3" threaded bolt (has about 1-1/2" of smooth shank) and can easily be trimmed to the same size as the metal OEM buffer and installed in 5 minutes give or take.

roy d...provided you're handy and watched youtube prior
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 9:45:27 PM EDT
You can do a trigger job on the stock trigger yourself, I've done a few. I used to have the instructions but you can probably find them over on rimfirecentral.com.

I've got a few 10/22's
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:37:49 PM EDT
Honestly, I'd just do a fluff and buff on the trigger/hammer. It wasn't that horrible when you were over here the other day. That said, if it were my toy, I'd get the mag and bolt releases, a poly buffer (or just make one like the above posters) and shoot the hell out of it. If you really want a new trigger, you can get a VQ pack from midway for not a horrible price. Either complete drop in or just the trigger pack.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:27:14 AM EDT
First I would go with the volquartsen target hammer as mentioned above.

Then I would get a Tactical Solutions 10/22 Extended Magazine Release. Here's a link to what they look like and cost.
http://shootersdiscount.com/cart/accessories/tactical-solutions/tactical-solutions-10/22-extended-magazine-release-blue.html

I have both of these on a Ruger Charger and they work great.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:30:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2013 8:32:04 AM EDT by bluefalcon]
Form 1

(not mine, but I really want to build one)
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:06:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2013 10:10:30 AM EDT by lsuguy]
I have Kidd stuff on my 10/22 and love it.

You can pick up his drop in trigger job, auto bolt release, and extended mag release all for under your budget of 200 bucks.

ETA: Throw in a bolt buffer too. They are like 6 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:24:26 PM EDT
See above, I think this would be your best bang for the buck. Kidd stuff, can't go wrong. Top notch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:51:21 PM EDT
Match chamber, barrel crown and bolt work by Que (when he starts taking new work). Tier II trigger job by Brimstone. This will cost closer to $300, but it can be done in stages.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2013 7:09:07 PM EDT by jmt1271]
I mod'd my bolt release, added Tech Sites, and a Kidd charging handle and bolt buffer.

I love the tech sites, but wouldnt mind having a small scope similar to yours on it. Problem is, I have too many other projects going, including a full Kidd build.

Great little carbine though, and I think I will keep it KISS.
Top Top