Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 7/27/2002 10:07:01 PM EDT
I did a search but didn't find quite the info I am looking for, although I did learn some things

There's a gun store near me that has a Garand advertised for $550. I think I'm going to go look it over this week. What things should I look for? I know the obvious things like crakcs in the stock and rust, but what else should I keep an eye out for? Also, is $550 too much to spend on one? I know I might get one cheaper through the CMP but I'd rather pay a little more and get it sooner as long as I'm not getting really ripped off.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 10:43:46 PM EDT
Well, for 550, it is probably an old parts kit put on a new receiver. Big 5 Sporting goods has them. I think Century Arms puts them together (don't quote me).

Look at the barrel (inside.) If you can, lock the bolt back, and check the barrel w/ a bore light. Look at over condition of the parts (finish). Sometimes they put new gas blocks (if I have my terms right). Cosmetic stuff really isn't important (unless you want a looker), but the internals are more important. Granted, they probably won't let you take it down to look at the gas system.

I can't think of anything more...too late..
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2002 11:18:44 PM EDT by Yankee1911]
I agree with Kaliburz, it's probably a Century receiver with USGI parts. Before you get your heart set on it, check these two sites:

www.jouster.com

www.fulton-armory.com

Also, at the Fulton site, check out this page:

www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm

Some people here have said they've gotten good results with the new receivers, but $500 will get you a Springfield Garand from the CMP, and you'll have plenty left over to buy some enblocs.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:01:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:19:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2002 7:48:22 AM EDT by greyhound]
All excellent advise.

FYI on CMP, they are backlogged at least 3 months on orders, long wait periods for all makers with the exception of SA's. Maybe a longer wait, but certainly the way to go. They aren't pretty, but good shooters.

CMP has SG spec's...TE under 5, MW under 3.

No matter who/where you get the rifle, pls have it checked for headspace, timing, TE and MW. A good M1 smith will do this for a nominal charge.

I have my own tools and have seen the good and bad and ugly the last three years (CMP and private).

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:33:19 PM EDT
thanks for all the info
the store has a pic of it on their site, I should have time on tuesday to drive out there and look it over and ask them questions about it
www.niagaragunrange.com/springfieldarmory.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:57:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:06:26 PM EDT
My advice would be this for a first time M1 buyer....

UNLESS you've been researching this purchase for over a year (several years actually), or have a fairly knowledge M1 afficionado to go with you to inspect the M1, OR ARE BUYING FROM A CLOSE AND TRUSTED FRIEND.....

....DON'T BUY FROM ANYONE BUT CMP.

Sure there's a wait, but its worth it.

I could go on for a couple of paragraps as to specifics to look for, but to keep it short, follow the advice above.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:31:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Waverunner:
Ordered my Service Grade Springfield M1 Garand on 5/3/02...still waiting.

Have you called them yet? Maybe you could find out what the hold up is.

Hope it gets there soon, Wave.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:18:52 AM EDT
Here's what CMP does to inspect a rifle:

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/inspect.htm

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:48:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2002 4:48:50 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]

Have you called them yet? Maybe you could find out what the hold up is.

90 to 120 days from the date that they process your order in. I ordered a Dane Springfield with Var barrel at about the same time as Waverunner. I called the other day to inquire on its status and was told my order was logged in as received on 5-7-02 and to expect it to be shipped 90 to 120 days from that date. Glad I bought my other one when it was only about a 30-day turnaround.

According to what Orest Michaels has posted over on Culver's page, they won't be shipping any Danes for another 2 to 3 weeks. Supposedly rack grade rifles are shipping slightly faster.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:37:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:26:06 PM EDT

If you have more money than patience (like I did before I got married ), pick one up from Orion 7. www.m1garandrifle.com/

You will not be sorry.

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. here is my Orion 7 1945 Springfield.

Top Top