Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2002 5:45:01 AM EDT
I'm looking around for one and notice that their are different forearms and Sako imports. What should I look out for. Are there any sites that have info on these?
I like 5.56 but was looking for a 7.62 battle rifle to compliment my collection.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, the question is, do you want a REAL HK91?  Or do you want a clone?

The different forearms can be changed at the drop of a hat.  Simply remove a pin, slip on the new forearm, and replce the pin.  It's that simple.  I, personally, like the wide forearm.  It's more comfortable, doesn't get as hot, and it's able to take the light bipod.

The Sako imports simply came in during a different time period than the Arlington imports.  Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

www.hkpro.com
www.hk91.com

If you go with a real 91, the only thing you really need to look for is that the receiver is not bent in any way.  Especially up top due to an overly enthusiastic scope mounting.  This can cause the bolt to bind, and effectively give you a single shot rifle.

Other than that, check the rifle over thoroughly, just like you would any rifle.

Be careful about buying a rifle labeled a HK911 or any type of SR9 (T/TC).  These are post ban.  They changed them up a little bit so that they could pass the '89 import ban.  They will be cheaper than a 91 (the SR9 and the 911 will be, not the SR9-T and TC), so if you don't care about preban features, you could save some dough there.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them or e-mail them to me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.
A few more questions if you don't mind.
Is it rare to see a bent up receiver?
Do they have a flash hiders and bayo lugs like a pre-ban AR?
What kind of accuracy should you get with a 91? 2-3 MOA?
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen a slightly dinged receiver, but never one bad enough to cause any problems.  They do exist, though.  The receiver is just stamped steel, so it's not as strong as many weapons out there when it comes to bending.

Yes.  They come with flash hiders.  The bayo lug is an accessory that attaches to the front of the cocking tube, immediately below the front sight.  You just yank out the cap that's already there, and put the bayonet cap in place, which is spring loaded.  My rifle came with it (previous owner bought it, but never installed ), but I have no clue where to purchase one.  Besides, the bayonets are often over $100.

My rifle will shoot between 1.5 and 2 MOA with irons, and with good ammo.

Another recommendation is that you purchase a SG1 stock and buffer (not PSG1).  The buffer on the SG1 stock is a little stronger, and definitely makes the 91 more pleasurable to shoot.  

Check those two links above for info on where to get any accessories like the stock and bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info. Now to find one....
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a used FA91 (a Federal Arms HK91 clone w/ aluminum reciever) from a local gun shop, with a "seven-day trial". I took it to Cooks and shot 60 rds through it. It runs like a champ, but the .308 has a steeper learning curve than my BM Shorty did, which was essentially point and shoot. I notice that the rifle gives me nice tight groups, off target but off in the same places, depending on my particular bad shooting habit of the day.

Don't be afraid to own a clone, but make damn sure you look it over and test it out before you drop a dime on it. Mine turned out to be a lovely companion piece to the smaller and sexier AR15.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi Rocket: I was at the range the other day and a guy was shooting an HK 91, his brass was hitting me 25-30 feet away, I mean this stuff was ricocheting off the roof of the shed and hitting me. The brass also had black lines running from the mouth to the base, about eight or ten if I remember, the owner said the chamber was fluted to ensure extraction. I don't know if you're aware of these qualities in the rifle or not, just trying to help you make an educated purchase. He was letting a couple of teenage kids shoot it for their first time, one of the kids was shooting about a 2" group at 50 yards, not bad for someone who hadn't ever shot a rifle before. Enjoy the rifle if you buy it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, launches brass like a rocket.  Creepy trigger that must be fought to overcome the rifle's inherent accuracy.  Goofy ergonomics that make it difficult to work the safety with your hand on the pistol grip.

It's still a great rifle, get the real deal, accept no imitations.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for all the input. i think I found one...They're expensive but I have to have one. My Wilson CQB is for sale to get me one.
Is there a way to mount a scope othe rthan that claw mount thing?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is there a way to mount a scope othe rthan that claw mount thing?

A.R.M.S. also makes a mount for it, but it works basically the same.

I picked up this scope, and both it and the claw mount were brand spankin new.  This is an incredible deal:  198.63.62.70/acatalog/AIM_Accessories_11.html
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was at the range the other day and a guy was shooting an HK 91, his brass was hitting me 25-30 feet away

If you buy a port buffer that keeps the brass from dinging up the receiver, the brass will typically bounce forward (just like a defelctor on an AR).

The brass also had black lines running from the mouth to the base, about eight or ten if I remember, the owner said the chamber was fluted to ensure extraction.

This is correct.  The chamber is fluted, which makes it very difficult to reload the brass.  It also makes it dangerous (from what I hear) to shoot steel cased rounds like Wolf (when they come out in 7.62).  Supposedly, the brass is able to form to these flutes, but the harder steel may possibly rupture.

The flutes are there because of the rifle's violent extraction.  In the original test rifles, the brass would often be ripped in two, leaving chunks of it in the non-fluted chamber.  So, they put the flutes in, which effectively "float" the brass in a layer of gas, allowing it to be safely extracted.

You can always pick out which brass is yours, on both the HK91 and the 93
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I want a 91 too.........
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Gee maybe I should ask Armalite to flute my AR10 chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top