Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 10:43:02 AM EDT
In picking up all the .223 brass I can find at the range, I come up with some oddball headstamp brass in my collection.  What can I do with this stuff?  I have a container of about 200 or so, but not enough of any particular kind to justify working up a load for it.  Is it safe to just use these to load up some plinking ammo?  Say 24.0 grs. of BL-C(2) and a pulled SS109 bullet like I use for all my FC brass?

Here's a quick random sample of whats in the box:

RORG
Fiocchi
IMI
SB
nny (I think its cyrillic letters)
IK
G.F.L.
ICC-LF
CBC
TZZ
TW
PPU
And some with just numbers or dates on em.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I cannot condone this practice, nor do I suggest that you do, but...

I keep all of my inspected range brass of different manufacturers on the low end of a powder chart with a 55 gr Hornady FMJ-BT w/c, and let the kids/wife/visitors blast away.

ETA:  I do not do this with unknown manuf. or with known problematic manuf.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I do the same with mixed headstamp. I try to stay near the bottom of the middle on powder charges. Too low can be problems too.

If you got time, measure case capacity with H20 and sort into like capacities. Would be time consuming...

My son has an AK chambered in 223 that dings up brass really bad, so he gets last load and stuff we are not going to pick up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes...we are too anal on the reloading forum...get rid of the RORG (weird neck tension) resize them , check your length, clean up the primer pocket and have fun...

I always shoot mixed brass...not an issue...esp for plinking ammo...

24grs of BL-C is a safe load in any brass for a SS109
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The load is safe.

Personally, I only load LC brass so all of those would be in a standby box to sell later on when it hits 1k count or so.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In picking up all the .223 brass I can find at the range, I come up with some oddball headstamp brass in my collection.  What can I do with this stuff?  I have a container of about 200 or so, but not enough of any particular kind to justify working up a load for it.  Is it safe to just use these to load up some plinking ammo?  Say 24.0 grs. of BL-C(2) and a pulled SS109 bullet like I use for all my FC brass?

Here's a quick random sample of whats in the box:

RORG
Fiocchi
IMI
SB
nny (I think its cyrillic letters)
IK
G.F.L.
ICC-LF
CBC
TZZ
TW
PPU
And some with just numbers or dates on em.

Beware of PMP brass. It's high quality good for loading, but it's thicker than most others.

I reduce the charge 2 grains over what I would use in Win. or LC.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want more info for those headstamps, start here...........

cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm  

Me.........I'd either, re-cylce them or re-load and shoot them as plinkers.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:54:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The first and last three head stamps you have listed there is some very good brass. Batch, Load and shoot them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
SCRAP DEALER WILL BUY
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#10]
"nny" is cyrillic for PPU or Privi Partisan.  Should be good stuff, but I haven't loaded any myself.  Yet.

I agree with the general consensus: load up a batch of light rounds with it.  Trigger time is trigger time, and if you make use of what you have to get more of it, that's good, right?

But DEFINITELY check to make sure it's all Boxer primed before you do anything, and recycle the Berdan stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
If it inspects OK, use a starting load and blast away.

I have range scraps that I don't know how many times they were fired. Those will get used when I am doing "run and gun" training and may not be able to find them again.

I save my LC brass for accuracy stuff or when I know I am going to need dead reliable ammo for training.

+1 on sorting out the Berdan. Nothing pisses me off more than getting into a good rythm and popping up the decapping pin on my Lee Die because I missed one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
What to do with a bunch of random brass??

Hmmmmmmm,

Make attractive jewlery for the wife, Tiny little wind chimes, Make minature bowling sets for the kids, there must be thousands of uses.

Remember, Christmas is coming up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top