Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2013 11:11:21 AM EDT
I did some swapping with a guy on a boat I had and an M1A he had.  I don't really know anything about M1As, so I shouldn't have done the trade, but I did so now I have to live with it.

The gun is built on a Federal Ordnance Receiver with a SN of 22xxx
The bolt and bolt carrier are TRW
The barrel is a Douglas Air Gauged heavy match barrel
it has some sort of scope mount
Barska SWAT 6-24x60 IR Scope
Archangle adjustable target stock.

Here are some pictures.

It also came with 11 20rd USGI mags.

So what did I get, a total piece?  Did I get screwed or did I get a decent rifle?  Any idea what a setup like this is worth?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What was the boat worth?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was the boat worth?
View Quote

Between 1k and 2k depending on who you ask and what day of the week it is.  I'm 1600 bucks into the deal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
You did fine, I would not worry.  You might get more responses and quicker if you go here   The ar15.com of m14's
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You did fine, I would not worry.  You might get more responses and quicker if you go here   The ar15.com of m14's
View Quote

Thanks, I registered over there and created basically the same thread.  Appreciate the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have $1600 into the deal and the boat is worth about $1500, you did very good. That rifle is worth $1500 as a base. People will probably know more about the stock, barrel, and scope and give you a better price.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Between 1k and 2k depending on who you ask and what day of the week it is.  I'm 1600 bucks into the deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the boat worth?

I don't think either of you got hurt in the deal.

The scope and mount may not be what you want, but the rest looks good.
Reach out to Lee Emerson (Different) about the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I have no interest in any scope or mount on this gun. I would rather shoot with irons. Gonna pick up a USGI stock for it I think.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly, I have no interest in any scope or mount on this gun.
I would rather shoot with irons. Gonna pick up a USGI stock for it I think.
View Quote

I like this plan
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The gun is built on a Federal Ordnance Receiver with a SN of 22xxx
The bolt [is] TRW
View Quote

The receiver was manufactured in early 1991 but was intended to accommodate a Chinese bolt.  Since it has a TRW bolt, it's likely had a gunsmith fit the bolt to the receiver.  HTH
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]
OP,
That stock should be worth some $$$ as hey come from Canada and it is tough to get them into the US from what I understand. Piece out what you don't care for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Updated pics.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The stock is made by Promag and is readily available all over the USA.

Example:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3357190306/archangel-adjustable-precision-rifle-stock-m14-m1a-synthetic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,
That stock should be worth some $$$ as hey come from Canada and it is tough to get them into the US from what I understand. Piece out what you don't care for.

The stock is made by Promag and is readily available all over the USA.

Example:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3357190306/archangel-adjustable-precision-rifle-stock-m14-m1a-synthetic

Yeah, I sold it for 200 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks TREETOP.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]
The wood is much better I think !!  

This is mine I love it!!  It's the Spring field M1A NM. with a $600 doller Nicon scope.
Gun scope and mount ran over $3000 dollers BUT I traded an old truck for it.

SO your not the only one doing this kinda stuff.
You did good !!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice! Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the stock!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice! Been a long time since I shot one, its one of those rifles I just never found in my price range.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#20]
What did you buy?

Well, it's not an M1A.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What did you buy?

Well, it's not an M1A.
View Quote

???
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you buy?

Well, it's not an M1A.

???

It's a Fulton Armory M14.

An M1A is a particular model made by a particular company, SAI.

Contrary to what some want to claim, M1A is NOT a generic term for M14 clones.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you buy?

Well, it's not an M1A.

???

Copy. Any insight into my receiver or barrel?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you buy?

Well, it's not an M1A.

???

I have a Polytech M14S.  I don't know much about the Fulton, but I can't recall hearing anything bad.

I think, though not sure, that the receiver on the Fulton is forged.  To some, that's important, to others, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a Polytech M14S.  I don't know much about the Fulton, but I can't recall hearing anything bad.

I think, though not sure, that the receiver on the Fulton is forged.  To some, that's important, to others, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you buy?

Well, it's not an M1A.

???

Federal Ordnance. Not Fulton.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Federal Ordnance and Fulton Armory receivers are made from castings.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Federal Ordnance. Not Fulton.
View Quote

My bad.

Still, have not heard anything bad about them either.

Damn these quote block limits.  Sometimes your meaning gets lost when you have to delete stuff in order to post, dang it.

Then you leave an open quote trying to edit.  This is ridiculous.

Sorry, not fussing at you, just some of these new posting rules.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you.  I wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#29]
cant tell you how much better it looks in wood
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks good.  

I had a Fed Ord m14 back in the late 80's or early 90's for a very short window.   Mine was mostly usgi parts but had issues with the op rod dismounting a few times,   I returned it to the store and the gunshop guy said it came back with a replaced op rod and the next owner had no issues.    ETA mine was very accurate for a rack type rifle.  No problems there.

I too like the OEM wood.  Makes a classic a classic.  I also have a usgi fiberglass stock that I like the dimensions of but the lock up is a bit light when latching the trigger guard.   Always meant to skim bed and pain the glass stock a dark green and sand camo.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

True, but my understanding is that the Fed Ord ones had some issues whereas the Fulton ones are generally well thought of.  Is that not correct?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
True, but my understanding is that the Fed Ord ones had some issues whereas the Fulton ones are generally well thought of. Is that not correct?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but my understanding is that the Fed Ord ones had some issues whereas the Fulton ones are generally well thought of. Is that not correct?

This is true. Fed Ord was an interesting company, and based their business on importing surplus guns and parts. The M14 rifles they made were originally constructed from all surplus parts and a receiver they made inhouse. The original units were good, since the bulk of the components were basically brand new TRW parts and original G.I. barrels. They had some issues with metal hardness of the receivers, Fed Ords were notorious for wearing down the sight adjustment serrations fairly quickly. Later rifles ended up with all chinese imported parts, and those are best left alone since every one of those I have encountered had issues. Sounds like the OP got one of the good ones with U.S. surplus components. As long as he doesn't constantly dial elevation changes and wear down the sight serrations he should be fine, but if they do get worn then Creedmore Sports used to sell a serrated washer that can be installed to restore positive sight "clicks", works great.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is true. Fed Ord was an interesting company, and based their business on importing surplus guns and parts. The M14 rifles they made were originally constructed from all surplus parts and a receiver they made inhouse. The original units were good, since the bulk of the components were basically brand new TRW parts and original G.I. barrels. They had some issues with metal hardness of the receivers, Fed Ords were notorious for wearing down the sight adjustment serrations fairly quickly. Later rifles ended up with all chinese imported parts, and those are best left alone since every one of those I have encountered had issues. Sounds like the OP got one of the good ones with U.S. surplus components. As long as he doesn't constantly dial elevation changes and wear down the sight serrations he should be fine, but if they do get worn then Creedmore Sports used to sell a serrated washer that can be installed to restore positive sight "clicks", works great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks much, good info there that people should be aware of when looking at Fed Ords.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Just noticed the serial # the OP has. Generally most of the units with 5 figure SN were built with imported chinese parts. Noting that the barrel is a Douglas, someone has had a lot of work done to that rifle, including modifications for USGI parts, so I think the OP got a good one. The last Fed Ord I owned was in the 7### range, all G.I., and was a great shooter.

Good plan ditching that hideous stock and the cheap optics. Heavy metal like a M14 looks best in wood.

BTW, here is the hardened sight disk in case the serrations are worn: http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/M1-M14_Hardened_1-2_Minute_Elevation_Sight_Disc.html
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just noticed the serial # the OP has. Generally most of the units with 5 figure SN were built with imported chinese parts. Noting that the barrel is a Douglas, someone has had a lot of work done to that rifle, including modifications for USGI parts, so I think the OP got a good one. The last Fed Ord I owned was in the 7### range, all G.I., and was a great shooter.

Good plan ditching that hideous stock and the cheap optics. Heavy metal like a M14 looks best in wood.

BTW, here is the hardened sight disk in case the serrations are worn: http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/M1-M14_Hardened_1-2_Minute_Elevation_Sight_Disc.html
View Quote

It turned out to be a total piece of shit. Short stroking, bad headspace, stuck cases, you name it. Took it down to see Hook Boutin who spent the afternoon ripping it down and rebuilding it. The barrel was canted in the receiver, the headspace was jacked, OP rod was dragging, and some dipshit spray painted the inside of the bolt and receiver.

Hook straightened it all out but while it fixed the headspace issues, stuck cases, etc.  he couldn't get it to run. He said whoever built it used great parts, but was a dumbass who didn't know what he was doing.

On a fluke my buddy dropped his TRW piston into my gun by mistake while troubleshooting and it started running 100%. My piston mic'd good, but was Ti plated and had a small hairline cut in the plating that was barely noticeable, and unless you took special care to mic it right in the right spot, everything looked to be in spec.

Since picking up this rifle, I have also picked up a Norinco M14s (to scratch the itch while this one was down.). Since this gun has that heavy ass match barrel I decided that this gun would best be scoped and I shoot the Norinco for my iron sight shooting fun. I put a CASM mount on this gun and dropped a 10X Bushnell Elite on top. Going to take it out and see what kind of groups I can get with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It turned out to be a total piece of shit. Short stroking, bad headspace, stuck cases, you name it. Took it down to see Hook Boutin who spent the afternoon ripping it down and rebuilding it. The barrel was canted in the receiver, the headspace was jacked, OP rod was dragging, and some dipshit spray painted the inside of the bolt and receiver.

Hook straightened it all out but while it fixed the headspace issues, stuck cases, etc.  he couldn't get it to run. He said whoever built it used great parts, but was a dumbass who didn't know what he was doing.

On a fluke my buddy dropped his TRW piston into my gun by mistake while troubleshooting and it started running 100%. My piston mic'd good, but was Ti plated and had a small hairline cut in the plating that was barely noticeable, and unless you took special care to mic it right in the right spot, everything looked to be in spec.

Since picking up this rifle, I have also picked up a Norinco M14s (to scratch the itch while this one was down.). Since this gun has that heavy ass match barrel I decided that this gun would best be scoped and I shoot the Norinco for my iron sight shooting fun. I put a CASM mount on this gun and dropped a 10X Bushnell Elite on top. Going to take it out and see what kind of groups I can get with it tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What a shame.  I have never seen a Fed Ord with a Douglas barrel, someone spent money just on the parts for the upgrade.  Sounds like the gunsmith botched the job badly.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What a shame.  I have never seen a Fed Ord with a Douglas barrel, someone spent money just on the parts for the upgrade.  Sounds like the gunsmith botched the job badly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they spent a bunch on parts, but doubt a gunsmith did any of the work. Whoever built it was a tard. It's running now, so I suppose that is what matters. Good thing I like it, because at this point I definitely own it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Looking forward to hearing how she shoots and some pics with your glass on it!!!

If you want to.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Here she sits today with her glass.

5 shots at 100

20 shots at 300

Not bad using PRZI PPU 145gr bulk ammo.

She broke the 200 round mark today since her last malfunction. I am in love. Can't wait to see how she shoots with some match ammo. Might have to pick up a bedded stock, but that USGI M14 stock is just so sexy.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#41]
where did you find the ventilated handguard? Not a common part.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
where did you find the ventilated handguard? Not a common part.
View Quote

Freds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top