Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 12:28:42 PM EDT
My DSA STG58 is designated an STG, but I notice other FALs also called STG's what makes an STG an STG?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Bill, I was just going to ask the same question.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
A model of the FNFAL was the Austrian STG-58, which has the straight butt stock, metal hand guards, and folding bipods.  Rifles that are built using these kits, and have the same look are called STG-58 type rifles.

If you look at a FNFAL L1a1, you will see that the butt stock has a hump, the forearm is plastic, and the upper/lower release lever is different.  Also, look at the Izzy to get an idea of the different styles of rifles produced on the FAL platform.

As for the difference between the DSA STG-58a and the DS rifle is that the STG-58a is built using a parts kit, the DS is built using all new parts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Dano got it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, the STG stands for "Sturmgeweher", meaning "Assualt Rifle" in German. So the AR15 to a German would be StG15. (Theoretically of course.)
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The STG also had the short gas tube, the lower is usually a type 1 although you will occasionally see a type 2 and they have the Stoll type flash hider/grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The Stg58 is the Austrian variant of the FAL.
Just as the R1 is the South African version, and the L1A1 is the British version.

Assault rifles, by definition must be select fire, so therefore technically AR-15s are not assault rifles.

Some FALs are not select fire, and also fire a full-powered round and are therefore Main Battle Rifles by definition.

Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top