Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2002 10:32:02 AM EDT
I am putting together an AR from a Bushmaster complete lower and an upper form Model 1 or J&T.
I want the heavy bull barrel but do I want 16", 20", or 24"? This will be more of a fun gun, but fun to me is never closer than 100m. I would love to have the 16" but am afraid of compromising accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want something for distance yet you want a shorter barrel, do the compromise and get the 20". I actually prefer the 16" and 20" barrel types myself. I look at my guns more as defense firearms though. Of course I plink with them too. If your only use for the gun is long range paper work, just get the 24" as it would be best suited.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am putting together an AR from a Bushmaster complete lower and an upper form Model 1 or J&T.
I want the heavy bull barrel but do I want 16", 20", or 24"? This will be more of a fun gun, but fun to me is never closer than 100m. I would love to have the 16" but am afraid of compromising accuracy.

you won't lose accuracy with a shorter barrel.  barrel length in and of itself isn't what contributes to "messier" groups; it's the shorter sight radius with the M4 type handguards (solve this problem with the dissipator model!).

and if it's just for fun, it shouldn't make that much of a difference anyway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I read on the Quality Parts/Bushmaster's web site that the longer tubes are not more accurate. The longer/short will give you more/less velocity. I think it is about approximately 100 FPS per 1" of barrel lenght. I can't find it on their web site because it has changed. There was once a blurb about what is the diff between a 10, 16, 20, & 24" BBLs

I found it! The link to the Bushmaster website regarding barrels. Check out bullet point 3:
www.bushmaster.com/faqs/barrels-accuracy.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top