Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2007 2:29:15 PM EDT
I have a giftcertificate for REI, dick's, or cabellas for $100 and I need a knife.  I am looking for a knife for hiking/camping and a 2ndary option for daily carry.  although I am afraid that these two don't mix.  

since the primary use will be hiking I would like it to be light but extremely versitle.  I haven't decided yet if I want a foldable or a fixed blade.  if I am going to carry it, I would prefer a foldable.  I am really looking for advice since I am not really sure what to look for.  versitilty will be the main thing.  I have even been considering the leatherman charge since it has pretty much everything.  

so with that any suggestions:
1 - spyderco
2 - benchmade
3 - leatherman charge (it's the one with the gut hook)
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont own any benchmades or spydercos but the charge isnt that great i prefer the wave myself.  if you want one though ill sell you my unused one for 75
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan on getting a Griptilian but you could kick in a few extra bucks and get the BM Osborne which I think was $150.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Carried a Benchmade 943 which has served me extremely well for a long time, though I switched up to a 710 last week and I already love it like a new child. Light, slim, good ergo, and yet solid enough I'd take it into the woods any day of the week.

I didn't think I could find a good hiking/camping folder that could double as an EDC, but this was it. Never thought a 3.9" folder could disappear into my pocket.
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Ever consider a Ken Onion Kershaw with the assisted opening? I love mine for EDC and work.
Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Emerson has a few good models , as well . I'd go to a gunshow - cash in hand , look around and dicker . Use the gift certificate for something else , IMHO .
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
a fixed blade
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Sog Seal and Seal Pup

www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0014283.shtml

This is what the kids want for Christmas this year, so they are all getting Seal Pups and I'm getting the Seal

ETA: Plus you must have a Multitool. ( More than a knife )  Look at Victornox or Sog both are great tools.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I would look at fixed blades.  Take a look at the Bark River Knives.  Great knives.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Benchmade 710D2

710D2 for $103
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
R1 Military Classic
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Coldsteel.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top