Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2002 7:59:07 PM EDT
Olympic Arms will soon be offering "Blak-Tac" www.olyarms.com/usa.html ,a new "super" coating for steel that will make hard chromed bores and bolt carriers a thing of the past (or so they claim).

They also say that this process is adapted from one used in other industries, but they don't really get specific as to what "Blak-Tac" is (it's not a Teflon finish), or how it achieves all of the feats that they claim.

So... I'm calling on the AR15.com brain trust to figure this out.  What the heck do you guys figure "Blak-Tac" is, what other industrial applications does it have, and will it do what Oly Arms says???
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Those morons are so full of shit. It's probably "tight tolerance" KRYLON!

They need to worry about building rifles that work before they get wrapped up in finishes.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Since it can only be applied to carbon and stainless steel, I'll assume that it's a metallic finish.

My bet is that it's black titanium nitride (TiCN).  
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Boron carbide.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Oly Arms super secret superior finish?

Blak Tac?

Hmmm... I'm betting it's either two coats of black magic marker or one heavy coat of Kiwi.

I have no time for Oly and their claims.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah,
I'm thinkin' it's probably a variant of Boron carbide.  On pistolsmith.com there are numerous threads about it and a company that's using it to refinish pistols.  The results seem to be mixed.
Later,
R
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah,
I'm thinkin' it's probably a variant of Boron carbide.  On pistolsmith.com there are numerous threads about it and a company that's using it to refinish pistols.  The results seem to be mixed.
Later,
R

Do you know the name of the company?

What do you guys think of this kind of finish compaired to a nickle polymer?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Boom Stick,
Off the top of my head, I'm not sure of the name of the company.  If you go to pistolsmith.com, they have a forum for finishes.  Look there, it should still be there.
later,
R
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's anything like the Oly I had, You may
want to  use some of this -
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link to pistolsmith.com "finishes" forum... www.pistolsmith.com/viewforum.php?f=34&sid=445f7873220af1df0bca465e85c12751

And yes, "Blak-Tac" seems to be Boron carbide.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top