Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
5/28/2020 10:18:12 PM
Posted: 12/27/2002 5:38:32 AM EDT
I have a cheap earphone type protection but the one side gets in the way of a good cheekweld and is marking up the stock on my AR.  Can anyone recommend anything that they are using and give me a website that sells them?  I appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:59:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:35:43 AM EDT
I work in an industry that requires ear plugs for employees on most jobs.  I was surprised to find that the yellow foam earplugs such as the E-A-R brand usually have the highest rating.  Like Aimless, I sometimes use both the foam plugs and over the head ear muff types for maximum protection when shooting something that is really loud.
Be sure and use them correctly. The foam plugs should be inserted by rolling it into a small tube and then holding it in the right hand. Use the left hand to reach over your head and pull the right ear upwards and insert the plug with the right hand.  Then do the opposite for the left ear.
Whatever you do, use good protection.  I wish I had known about ear protection when I was young and before I did permanent damage to my hearing.  You can't get it back.

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:06:54 AM EDT
I use both foam plugs & muffs.  I mainly shoot at an indoor range with rifles.  I sure don't want somebody letting off a .308 at the moment when my glasses made my earmuffs shift.  Using this combo, I never have ringing or "volume shift" after I shoot.  I love my ears....
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:12:21 AM EDT
I use the milspec USGI 3-lug orange plugs in the OD green case. Never ever had a ear ring after shooting anything.5 bucks.

If I forget em' foam if just fine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:49:52 AM EDT
Huh?....what'd you say?

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:31:09 AM EDT
I used the Selencio Magnums and the foam ear plugs when I'm shooting indoors, and the Selencios alone when shooting outdoors. If I need to mount a rifle or shotgun, then I usually use the my slimline Swedish Peltors with electronic noise shut-off. This line of slim-line ear-muff specifically designed for people to get close enough to the stock for a proper cheek weld, I beleive they have a NRR rating of something like 22-25dB.

BTW-No matter how good the noise suppression, sound can be transmitted by your bones, i.e. skull etc. And an audiologist can tell you are a shooter and whether you're a leftie or righty, by the slight hearing lost curve.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:35:39 AM EDT
What Aimless said.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:37:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:48:31 AM EDT
A great story by Dean Grinell.  Dean was almost deaf and complained that no hearing aid was much good for him.  A friend told him, "I just got new hearing aids and I can hear as good as I ever could."  
Dean asked "What kind is it?"  The guy said "It's a quarter till two."

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:21:00 AM EDT
I use Pro-Ears.

They're GREEAAT...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:09:01 PM EDT
I wear cheap wallyworld muffs, but I only shoot pistol. I tried an M4 with them and had trouble getting my cheek close enough to the stock to see the sights properly. I'll probably use plugs more. I have a set of EAR brand plugs that work so well, I can hear better with my mouth open then closed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:17:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:35:41 AM EDT
Thanks for the info guys.  How much are those electronic noise reduction plugs that let you hear low noices fine but block out loud sounds?  My guess is that they would be out of my price range.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:44:40 PM EDT
Outdoors shooting mouse guns EAR plugs - indoors, shooting pistols, battle rifles, or around others shooting EAR plus Pro-Ears.

Pro-Ears ran me about $175 a few years ago. They compress the sound levels rather then clip or shut-off so that you can still hear back ground noises while shooting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2002 2:56:54 PM EDT by Luckystiff]
Peltor Tactical 6S. They are powered ear muffs. They come in handy when your teaching on the range. You can turn up the volume and hear what students are doing better than when you have them off. Sometimes I wear them backward so I can hear what is going on behind the line. I bought them this year and have been kicking myself for not getting them earlier. The one nice thing about the Tac. 6's is that the bottom of the muff is cut out to allow you to get a better cheek weld with shotguns and rifles.

These run about $130.00 but I got mine for $100. Just shop around.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:58:27 PM EDT
Cheap $.14 a pack EAR Classic foam plugs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:06:51 PM EDT
Peltor Tactical 6-S.

Also have a pair of Peltor Tactical 7-S, which actually have better sound quality, but they are not rifle-friendly.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:10:39 AM EDT
Depends on what caliber of weapon is fired around me. If I can find 9mm casings on the ground they work fine, but in a pinch, and with a lot of ear wax, I can shove a .45 Auto case in my ears. But sometimes ya have to fight off the guys who like to reload, like two less shells will make a difference!

But all kidding aside I carry foam, rubber plug and muff types. And also extra foam just in case a buddie forgets his. If you can double up (foam and muff) that's even better.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:43:40 AM EDT
I use Dillon HP1 Electronic muffs.  But when I fire my AR50, I also use the cheap foam ear plugs.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:56:12 AM EDT
I use foam plugs, muffs on top of those, and then I DUCT TAPE CERAMIC TRAUMA PLATES OVER EACH EAR FOR ADDED PROTECTION!

Got it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:56:19 AM EDT
For normal weapons I use ear muffs.

For the AR-50 I use muffs and foam plugs.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:08:19 AM EDT
I ALWAYS use good quality Muffs.
Thinking about getting a pair of
"active" ones.

I have a mild case of tinnitus -
so I don't take anymore risks
to my hearing
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:19:23 AM EDT
I use ear plugs and a girl with huge Ta-Ta's standing directly behind me.  Also works well in cold weather.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:25:16 AM EDT
I use highest NRR rated foamie's I can find & use muffs - (Electronic Peltor's if need to hear what's going on -turn'em up to hear normal w/ foamie's in and when don't need to hear use Peltor's Bullseye 10's - their highest NRR non-electronics).

My wife uses custom molded plugs & muffs.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:38:39 AM EDT
I use the Dillon electronic muffs, and a pair of the Howard Leight foam plugs under them when necessary.  Even with the foam plugs, the amplified muffs let me hear what's going on.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:46:27 AM EDT
Peltor Tactical 6S.  When shooting indoors I use foam plugs in addition to the muffs.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:59:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR_Shorty:
Thanks for the info guys.  How much are those electronic noise reduction plugs that let you hear low noices fine but block out loud sounds?  My guess is that they would be out of my price range.

I use Dillon HP1, which are thin enough not to clash with my AR stock. However, they are a bit sweaty in the summer. I am considering active custom-molded plugs:

Top Top