Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 12:16:56 PM EDT by Lancelot]
I'm looking to make my DPMS M4 into a 11" short barrel. I have ATF paperwork. Also have paperwork from local sherrif's office. Once paperwork is done and approved, what needs to be done to the gun itself? I understand one or both parts (receiver & barrel) will need some sort of engraving identifying the gun as a class III and me as the owner. I seem to be getting confilicting info from many.

Any help here would be appreciated. If already discussed, please direct me to the thread!

Many thanks!

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:19:23 PM EDT
i would ask the ATF and the sherrifs department.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:46:24 PM EDT
If you want it to be easy, find an SOT who will sell you a complete gun. A little more expensive, but they will do all the work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:16:57 PM EDT
I could do that.. but I'm a little short on $ these days. I have a guy that can do all of the work (in trade)... he's done it many times before. He insists that I get the latest and greatest info in writing from the ATF before I do anything to the gun.. post approval of course.

I called my local Sheffif's office. They directed me to the ATF. The guy I talked w/at the ATF was fantastic! In all my experiences w/Class III purchases, I've never worked w/anyone at the ATF so helpful. But dang it,.. I forgot to write his name down and forgot to ask him about the engraving part. When I called right back, somone else (less helpful of course) wouldn't go through the effort of putting me back in contact w/this guy.

So right now, I would be into this for a little over 2 bills. Don't think a SOT could do it for that?

Was hoping someone here had recently gone thru the process?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 2:00:27 PM EDT by _DR]
All you have to do it file your Form 1 with BATF, when it comes back and you have your tax stamp, get your lower receiver engraved with maker's information (that's you), swap out your barrel for whatever caliber and length you told them you were going to do, and WALA legal SBR.

barrel changes aren't hard you have a good sturdy vise and about $50 in tools.

I Have a registered SBR, and have been through all this before.
The ONLY thing that needs to be engraved on an AR15 is the lower receiver.
There are specifications for the engraving, depth, height etc. and the engraving has to be in visible place.

NO WAY would I go though an SOT for an SBR. Civilians can legally manufacture them once a tax stamp on a form 1 is received.

What is it that you don't understand about the process?

ETA 2 bills? I hope you mean $200.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:45:04 PM EDT
I understand the process. . just needed the scoop on the "engraving, depth, height etc". Where is that documented?

Yep.. meant $200.00.

Thanks for the input!

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 7:56:05 PM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By clickBOOM:
I understand the process. . just needed the scoop on the "engraving, depth, height etc". Where is that documented?

Yep.. meant $200.00.

Thanks for the input!

let me see if I can dig it up.

BTW I recommend these guys, they did mine when they were still tomsawyermfg.com, they do amazing stuff. DO NOT trust a trophy shop. They can screw up your receiver bad.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:20:21 AM EDT

just needed the scoop on the "engraving, depth, height etc". Where is that documented?

27 CFR 479.102(a)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:32:41 AM EDT
There has been good info posted to answer your question, but I would suggest one thing...

I would get the receiver engraved BEFORE the paperwork comes back from the ATF. Once they stamp your form, the gun in question is a registered SBR. As such, you are very limited on who can work on the gun, and you may actually have to be present for any work (no leaving it over-night, etc) if the gunsmith is not an SOT.

I always get my stuff engraved before even sending in the paperwork.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:43:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 7:44:38 AM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By BlahBlah:
There has been good info posted to answer your question, but I would suggest one thing...

I would get the receiver engraved BEFORE the paperwork comes back from the ATF. Once they stamp your form, the gun in question is a registered SBR. As such, you are very limited on who can work on the gun, and you may actually have to be present for any work (no leaving it over-night, etc) if the gunsmith is not an SOT.

Not a bad idea. The engraving is just name of manufacterer, address etc, any gun could have it on there. I had mine engraved after I got my tax stamp and was sweating it since the paperwork took about 6 months when I applied.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:00:40 AM EDT

+1.
Top Top