Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
I wondered what the minimum velocity would need to be on a #4 pellet to have any sort of stopping power on human target.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It has to be going 369 fps just to penetrate the skin........
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally wouldn't even consider #4 shot on a human. 00buck only for me. I've shot too many animals with #4 shot, and it is less than impressive even out of HV loads. Personally, i think only a fool would use anything smaller than BB's.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I personally wouldn't even consider #4 shot on a human. 00buck only for me. I've shot too many animals with #4 shot, and it is less than impressive even out of HV loads. Personally, i think only a fool would use anything smaller than BB's.

I hear that. Here is my dilemma though.

I bought a .410 bore for my girlfriend for home defense. She's a  small girl so a 12, 16 and even a 20ga were out of the question as I want to get her into shooting more and not scare her with recoil. She loves to shoot the thing.

So with the "little snake charmer" I only get 3 000 pellets per shot. I was hoping to maybe get 10-15 #4 pellets per shot thus increasing her chance of hitting the target in a SHTF situation.

That is why I wanted to know if like 1300 fps was good enough for penetration.

Any input would help guys.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It has to be going 369 fps just to penetrate the skin........

All I want to know is who was the guy that stood there for the test, and did they nick-name him Spot/Rashy when it was all said and done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]

I hear that. Here is my dilemma though.

I bought a .410 bore for my girlfriend for home defense. She's a small girl so a 12, 16 and even a 20ga were out of the question as I want to get her into shooting more and not scare her with recoil. She loves to shoot the thing.

So with the "little snake charmer" I only get 3 000 pellets per shot. I was hoping to maybe get 10-15 #4 pellets per shot thus increasing her chance of hitting the target in a SHTF situation.

That is why I wanted to know if like 1300 fps was good enough for penetration.

Any input would help guys.

Thanks

I see. Maybe you should think about a gun other than a shotgun for home defense, say an AR15  I'm sure the 410 with #4's will penetrate, I'm just not so sure the immediate effect will be enough to stop a determined BG. Personally, if I HAD to use a 410 for home defense, I'd use slugs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I see. Maybe you should think about a gun other than a shotgun for home defense, say an AR15  I'm sure the 410 with #4's will penetrate, I'm just not so sure the immediate effect will be enough to stop a determined BG. Personally, if I HAD to use a 410 for home defense, I'd use slugs.

Over penetration is a major concern with slugs, she is in a apartment building and our city law bans all assault rifles with a capacity of 5 or more rounds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, that sucks. 00 buck would over penetrate as well, as it's still moving pretty close to the same velocity as a 12 gauge, just less shot. I don't have enough experience with a 410 to be of much more help. All i know is I pegged a few squirrels with 4 shot/410 when i was younger, and I'm not sure it would do a whole lot more than really piss off a BG. He might be pretty messed up but i don't think it would stop him in his tracks which is the primary concern, especially if he had any jacket of any thickness on.

I have maybe a couple more suggestions. A beretta storm maybe. I don't know how your state/city lists this weapon, but it's a fine HD gun. Worst case scenario maybe you could block off a mag to 5 rounds. I would feel much better with 5 shots of 9mm +P, .40 sw, or .45acp in a semi auto platform than a 410 with birdshot. Again, OP is a concern, but only if you miss

If maybe you could find some HeviShot loaded shells for the 410, that would give you a little more umph as well, but i don't know if they make that. For my home defense, i have an AR primarily, and then the benelli SBE with 00 buck. If i run out of those, I will start throwing 3.5" Hevishot goose loads, lol. I have no concerns of OP though, so the BG better get OUT cause there will be all kinds of rounds going through the walls, and floor, or wherever I think he could be

Is there any reason that a handgun wouldn't suffice?

If it's just a city law, the worst punishment they can dish out is a misdemeanor. I personally would risk a misdemeanor for the sake of personal protection, but thats just me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top