Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:51:29 PM EDT
I wondered what the minimum velocity would need to be on a #4 pellet to have any sort of stopping power on human target.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:24:31 PM EDT
It has to be going 369 fps just to penetrate the skin........
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:54:55 PM EDT
I personally wouldn't even consider #4 shot on a human. 00buck only for me. I've shot too many animals with #4 shot, and it is less than impressive even out of HV loads. Personally, i think only a fool would use anything smaller than BB's.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:32:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ridley:
I personally wouldn't even consider #4 shot on a human. 00buck only for me. I've shot too many animals with #4 shot, and it is less than impressive even out of HV loads. Personally, i think only a fool would use anything smaller than BB's.

I hear that. Here is my dilemma though.

I bought a .410 bore for my girlfriend for home defense. She's a small girl so a 12, 16 and even a 20ga were out of the question as I want to get her into shooting more and not scare her with recoil. She loves to shoot the thing.

So with the "little snake charmer" I only get 3 000 pellets per shot. I was hoping to maybe get 10-15 #4 pellets per shot thus increasing her chance of hitting the target in a SHTF situation.

That is why I wanted to know if like 1300 fps was good enough for penetration.

Any input would help guys.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 2:43:38 PM EDT by Dano523]

Originally Posted By OKLA-LAWMAN:
It has to be going 369 fps just to penetrate the skin........

All I want to know is who was the guy that stood there for the test, and did they nick-name him Spot/Rashy when it was all said and done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:38:12 PM EDT

I hear that. Here is my dilemma though.

I bought a .410 bore for my girlfriend for home defense. She's a small girl so a 12, 16 and even a 20ga were out of the question as I want to get her into shooting more and not scare her with recoil. She loves to shoot the thing.

So with the "little snake charmer" I only get 3 000 pellets per shot. I was hoping to maybe get 10-15 #4 pellets per shot thus increasing her chance of hitting the target in a SHTF situation.

That is why I wanted to know if like 1300 fps was good enough for penetration.

Any input would help guys.

Thanks

I see. Maybe you should think about a gun other than a shotgun for home defense, say an AR15 I'm sure the 410 with #4's will penetrate, I'm just not so sure the immediate effect will be enough to stop a determined BG. Personally, if I HAD to use a 410 for home defense, I'd use slugs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:07:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ridley:

I see. Maybe you should think about a gun other than a shotgun for home defense, say an AR15 I'm sure the 410 with #4's will penetrate, I'm just not so sure the immediate effect will be enough to stop a determined BG. Personally, if I HAD to use a 410 for home defense, I'd use slugs.

Over penetration is a major concern with slugs, she is in a apartment building and our city law bans all assault rifles with a capacity of 5 or more rounds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 10:56:02 PM EDT by Ridley]
Man, that sucks. 00 buck would over penetrate as well, as it's still moving pretty close to the same velocity as a 12 gauge, just less shot. I don't have enough experience with a 410 to be of much more help. All i know is I pegged a few squirrels with 4 shot/410 when i was younger, and I'm not sure it would do a whole lot more than really piss off a BG. He might be pretty messed up but i don't think it would stop him in his tracks which is the primary concern, especially if he had any jacket of any thickness on.

I have maybe a couple more suggestions. A beretta storm maybe. I don't know how your state/city lists this weapon, but it's a fine HD gun. Worst case scenario maybe you could block off a mag to 5 rounds. I would feel much better with 5 shots of 9mm +P, .40 sw, or .45acp in a semi auto platform than a 410 with birdshot. Again, OP is a concern, but only if you miss

If maybe you could find some HeviShot loaded shells for the 410, that would give you a little more umph as well, but i don't know if they make that. For my home defense, i have an AR primarily, and then the benelli SBE with 00 buck. If i run out of those, I will start throwing 3.5" Hevishot goose loads, lol. I have no concerns of OP though, so the BG better get OUT cause there will be all kinds of rounds going through the walls, and floor, or wherever I think he could be

Is there any reason that a handgun wouldn't suffice?

If it's just a city law, the worst punishment they can dish out is a misdemeanor. I personally would risk a misdemeanor for the sake of personal protection, but thats just me.
Top Top