Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 6:26:27 PM EDT

The label on the retail package says "Choke tube 12Ga. Spreader 303/"

Stamped on the side of the choke is "PB-R-SP".  It has a single notch (full choke) on the face.

The yellow card reads:
This choke is not intended to spread the
pattern of shotgun pellets.  It is NOT a rifled
choke tube and is NOT meant to fire slug
ammunition (both conventional and sabot
configurations).  Firing slugs through this
choke tube will swell it to the point that it
cannot be removed from the barrel.  In
extreme cases the barrel could rupture and
cause injury to the shooter or bystanders.

What type of load should this choke be used for?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually if you read the yellow paper it says that it IS intended to spread out the pattern of shot more quickly. The grooves will cause the shot cup to spin and throw the shot outward more quickly. For making a wide pattern up close. I would guess buckshot is the intended load but maybe for close range bird hunting too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Actually if you read the yellow paper it says that it IS intended to spread out the pattern of shot more quickly. The grooves will cause the shot cup to spin and throw the shot outward more quickly. For making a wide pattern up close. I would guess buckshot is the intended load but maybe for close range bird hunting too.

Argh.  Good catch- thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:06:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell i like that idea...

do us all a favor and do some pattern testing with some cheap buck and some game loads to see the differance..

you might just have a kick ass choke there... IMHO... i would throw that in my HD gun if it did that sort of thing...

*and just for refrance if you have a Cyl bore choke as well do a comparason shot*

Jess
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting stuff...   I wonder if it will make donuts.  

The choke cost me 20 bucks so no biggie if it's a bust.  I was actually after a choke that would allow me to satisfy sabot curiosities.  So, if anyone can link me to where I can find rifled chokes, it would be muchly apreciated.

I'm going shooting tomorrow and though I don't have a target stand to pattern with, I'll see if I can get some craft paper or something because I've got a good variety of shot to try with it:

Estate 1 1/8oz #7.5
Win. SuperX 1 1/4oz #4
Win.Supreme HV 1 1/4oz #4
S&B 12 pellet 00 buck
Win. Ranger (Low-Recoil) 9 pellet 00 buck
Fiochi HV 9 pellet nickle-plated 00 buck

Should I consider this a <50yard choke before having to really worry about shot going who-knows-where?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hell i like that idea...

do us all a favor and do some pattern testing with some cheap buck and some game loads to see the differance..

you might just have a kick ass choke there... IMHO... i would throw that in my HD gun if it did that sort of thing...

*and just for refrance if you have a Cyl bore choke as well do a comparason shot*

Jess

OK

THE SETUP:

TEST AMMO: Estate 1-1/8oz #7.5, Win.Supreme HV 1 1/4oz #4, S&B 12 pellet 00 buck, Fiocchi HV 9 pellet nickle-plated 00 buck and Win. Ranger (Low-Recoil) 9 pellet 00 buck.

TEST LOCATION:  BLM Land in the Mojave Desert- Kern County (I think), CA.  Sunny, warm and still.

TEST SHOTGUN: Benelli M1S90, using Benelli IC Choke (I dont have a skeet choke) and Beretta Spreader Choke.

MY 10 YD RESULTS COMPARING AN IC CHOKE AND A SPREADER CHOKE: DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS

Estate 1 1/8oz #7.5:  Tester exhibits the effects of sleep deprivation by writing "Open Cyl Choke" when it should read "IC Choke".  Approx. 16" vs. 23".

Winchester Supreme HV Field 1-1/4oz #4 (1400FPS on box): Approx. 13-1/2" vs. 23".

Sellier & Bellot 12 pellet 00 buck: Approx. 6" vs. 10-1/2".  I probabily should have tested more than one round per choke with the buckshot due to the reduced number of pellets but I didn't.

Fiocchi HV 9 pellet nickle-plated 00 buck (1325FPS on box).  Approx. 5-1/4" vs. 9-1/2" (13-1/2" if that one doesn't count as a flyer.

Winchester Ranger (Low-Recoil) 9 pellet 00 buck: Approx. 6" vs. 15-1/2".
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow you kick ass..

Very nice testing done.. that really shows the differnce between the two..

it seems that 00' might have too much of a spread at these ranges but it deffently starts on the 'not have to aim so much shotgun'...

now to look for one of these for a 870...

Jess
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top