Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 7:36:35 PM EDT
What is the best overall cleaning fluid and best overall lubricant?
I want to use it for all calibers and types of guns.
Thank you,
Happy Holidays,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Gun Scrubber for first cleaning pass and then follow up with Break Free CLP.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Not meant as a flame towards you Kevin but Hoppes is damn near worthless. They had to change the formula some time ago to comply with Federal Regs and since then it really doesn't clean very well.

There are different types of fouling or materials left behind in your bore that require different cleaners. I use RB-17 for powder and carbon fouling. It is my opinion and the opinion of others that I have learned from that you must remove the powder fouling first in order to get to the copper.

After I remove the powder fouling I go after copper with Sweets7.62. It is an aggressive copper solvent that should only be left in you bore for 15 mins or less.

I use Butch's Bore Shine for a final rinse.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
 Ed's Red solvent is an excellent overall powder fouling/general crud remover.  The ATF is enough of a lube to prevent rust for some time.
 CLP is the recommended lube.  If the USMC recommends it, and the Corps rifle team uses it, what more do you want?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 Ed's Red solvent is an excellent overall powder fouling/general crud remover.  The ATF is enough of a lube to prevent rust for some time.
 CLP is the recommended lube.  If the USMC recommends it, and the Corps rifle team uses it, what more do you want?

I have to second this opinion.  Ed's Red is my first choice for general cleaning.  

Sweet's 7.62 solvent blows away anything else I've ever used for removing copper fouling.  

Then I use BreakFree CLP for lubrication and protectant.  It can be used as a cleaner in a pinch too, but it's not my first choice.

I find that Royco CLP (current issue) is a pretty good cleaner as well as lube.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
CLP works great as a cleaner if you let the parts soak for awhile.  I agree it's not the greatest bore cleaner, but I always run a patch with CLP on it through the bore as a last step.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top