Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/16/2006 9:58:33 AM EDT
I've heard some questionable things about Springfield, but they still seem to be the best.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:23:01 AM EDT
"The best" always costs money. Exactly how much "best" were you planning to spend?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:51:00 AM EDT
under $1500 if possible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:47:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clasky:
under $1500 if possible.

Safe queen Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A, the older the better.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:00:47 PM EDT
$1500 would also buy you a clean forged-receiver, chrome-barreled Polytech or Norinco, a USGI bolt to put in it, professional installation of that bolt, USGI rear sight (if needed), USGI trigger group (if needed), enough used USGI plastic stocks to paint them in camo for all four seasons, a pile of Taiwan 57 magazines, several hundred rounds of ammo--AND probably a night on the town with your woman!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 1:49:13 PM EDT by Achilles1]

Originally Posted By Different:

Originally Posted By clasky:
under $1500 if possible.

Safe queen Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A, the older the better.

I'd have to agree with Different on that. For under 1500.00 you'll get the most out of your money by waiting and finding the right safe queen M1A, but with some national match mods done and a good stock you'd be even better and there are deals to be had.
The forged and cast dead horse beating will go on forever but there no real noticeable difference in how much longer the forged will outlast the cast as you'll never be around to see it as both will far outlast you. As for function there's none as long as both receivers are made properly and the rest of the parts of the rifle are good.
If you buy a new M1A you won't be sorry either, but may not have the same upgrades or higher valued parts as a safe queen deal. It seems to me most people buy a new LRB because they feel better about having a forged receiver over the cast, but the truth is the rifle will not do a better job at anything for that extra grand they spent if just on the receiver and basic parts. Does it makes them happy though is all that really matters. It wouldn't me, knowing that I could have gotten a rifle that does the job just as good for a grand less. USGI parts are always nice to have for nostalgia, but that doesn't mean they'll be guaranteed to work better at all, there just worth more on the open market. Good luck in your search.
Top Top