Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 3:00:11 PM EDT
Ive read all about the Dragon armor and think its not all its supposed to be. So what is the best armor out there that will stop rifle rounds?
 Ive worn the Second chance body armor at work a few years ago and it was found by research from a co worker that it also was junk.
Anyone have any info on this? I did a Yahoo search worded  "best body armor" and all that came up was body armor manufacturers websites.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
For what application and what threat level?

If you plan on being shot at by rifles with AP ammo and an unlimited budget you could check out the Crye chassis, Eagle CIRAS, Paraclete RBAV and an MRAP.

If your needs are a little more mundane then the suggestions will vary.

Basically 'best' is subjective based on your needs/wants/desires on a cost/benefit scale. We need a lot more info before we can give any good suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
paraclete or crye, ceradyne is good too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
How is Spears/Balc level 3A soft armor? Thats the stuff I just bought.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

depends on maker..  spears/balc is cut style off the Armour. then u have materials like; Kevlar, spectra, twaroon, dynemma, gold flex. all can get to 3A just depends on weight, thickness, breath ability, longevity, and willingness to pay. personally in the soft Armour department id go with gold flex if wearing concealable, and dynemma if wear in conjuction.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on maker..  spears/balc is cut style off the Armour. then u have materials like; Kevlar, spectra, twaroon, dynemma, gold flex. all can get to 3A just depends on weight, thickness, breath ability, longevity, and willingness to pay. personally in the soft Armour department id go with gold flex if wearing concealable, and dynemma if wear in conjuction.

While laminates keep the weight and bulk down they are less than ideal for contact shots. Of course BALCS cut usually isn't in a concealable style so contact shots may not be your largest threat when wearing it.

When I decided to do a full armor rig it was an Eagle MARCIRAS with Paraclete Twaron lvl 3A soft armor and AMI TAC3S plates. I've decided to switch it up and go with an Eagle plate carrier with the plates and a Paraclete concealable with twaron lvl 3A.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it from TAG- Im not really sure what kind it is, any idea what they sell?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
IBA is tried and true, bulletproofme.com carries them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ive read all about the Dragon armor and think its not all its supposed to be. So what is the best armor out there that will stop rifle rounds?
 Ive worn the Second chance body armor at work a few years ago and it was found by research from a co worker that it also was junk.
Anyone have any info on this? I did a Yahoo search worded  "best body armor" and all that came up was body armor manufacturers websites.

Ballistic hard plates - if you wanna stop rifle this is your only choice
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
To sum it up, I guess it really doesn't matter what armor you go with as long as it has inserts made for ballistic plates,right?  As far as what type/use question, I think when I wrote "will stop rifle rounds" it kinda said it all, if not then sorry for the confusion. I dont think there are many body armors out there that will stop rifle rounds so that kinda narrows it down. I'm not looking for concealable, lightest, most flexible, just best protection.
 What about the new Interceptor vest for the military? http://www.securityprousa.com/noname92.html
 Thanks for all of the replies...........
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]
There is no soft armor that will stop rifle rounds. Now you can run a level IIIA vest with a level IV plate and stop rounds up to 7.62x63 AP, but there is not manufacturer of level IV soft armor. If you want to stop rifle rounds, your only option is plates. BTW these are assumeing NIJ cert for levels. Also keep in ming, the "armor" is not going to hold the plate, the armor carrier does. Armor carriers range from the simple Link to the complex Link. The choice of carrier/armor/plate combo should be driven by your perceived threat and mission.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To sum it up, I guess it really doesn't matter what armor you go with as long as it has inserts made for ballistic plates,right?  As far as what type/use question, I think when I wrote "will stop rifle rounds" it kinda said it all, if not then sorry for the confusion. I dont think there are many body armors out there that will stop rifle rounds so that kinda narrows it down. I'm not looking for concealable, lightest, most flexible, just best protection.
 What about the new Interceptor vest for the military? http://www.securityprousa.com/noname92.html
 Thanks for all of the replies...........

interceptor is big vest, i run the Paraclete cumberbund. with 3a dyneema soft and lvl 3+ multi-hit (30 hit) rated of 7.62x51. in conjunctive brings me to lvl 4.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

As I understand it there is no "best" body armor, only compromises on price, weight, and it's ability to stop certain rounds. The best compromise for Level III seems to be http://www.armoredmobility.com/products_tac3s.php
But since I'm no expert, DocGKR is the guy to answer your question.
Here's a tidbit from him:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19910
Other threads:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=278663&page=2

(look for DocGKR's post on page 2, the links to lightfighter.net are worth reading too)
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=194734&page=1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top