Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 11/16/2008 11:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 10:51:49 AM EDT by HommieDaKlown]
What is the ballpark value on a Remington Mosin Nagant.

1917 Hex receiver  is SA marked, also has an import mark. Has a D on the receiver. Appears to have matching parts Bolt and receiver. Smaller metal parts have the circle R Remington proof stamped on them. It is counter bored, and I doubt the stock is original. Its is a dark stock, the wood appears to have tiger striping.  The stock has a symbol I havn't identified, it is a circle 9 with something crossed behind the circle, maybe cannons?  To the right of that is a number on the stock  AV3 followed by a 4 digit number. I can get photos if that will help.
Thanks

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:07:51 AM EDT
Your rifle was definetely used by the Finns. The SA is a Finnish Army property stamp. The D indicates that the chamber will accept the heavy ball cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 9:50:52 AM EDT by weptek911]
Originally Posted By JAD:
Your rifle was definetely used by the Finns. The SA is a Finnish Army property stamp. The D indicates that the chamber will accept the heavy ball cartridge.

+1

You don't see to many Remington Finn captured rifles. Those are kind or rare IMHO.

The Finns would have tuned the trigger and  sights, and maybe replaced or upgraded the stock.

I can't give you an expert opinion on price, but Remington's command a premium , as do Finn SA captured rifles. Let's say $150 to $350

You owe it to your self to shoot it. If the Finns refurbished a rifle and couldn't get 1 MOA at 300 meters they scrapped them.

Here is the AR15.com of Mosin Nagants  http://7.62x54r.net/

And

http://www.mosinnagant.net/
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:51:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 11:04:30 AM EDT by HommieDaKlown]

If you have any ideas on a better way to take a pic of the bore. i'm all ears.

I bought her at the lakeland gunshow maybe sometime in 05 as a private sale. I have never shot her.  I paid $100.  I've since sold off all my other Mosins, I need to buy another so I have a shooter. I left this in the exact condition I bought it in except for a bore cleaning that you'd normally do after shooting corrosive ammo.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:13:02 AM EDT
You stole it for $100. That's plain old Mosin price.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:24:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 11:35:22 AM EDT by HommieDaKlown]

Originally Posted By weptek911:

Its safe to assume the stock is not original correct?

EDIT: Well according to this  the 9 circle on the stock is a Finnish marking, a "Stockmaker's Mark".  So perhaps they just gave it a new stock. I suppose this rifle might have seen battle. I guess it's possible that it went through both World Wars.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:11:51 PM EDT
forgot to add these

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:20:15 PM EDT
Its safe to assume the stock is not original correct?

Probably not an original to when it came out of the Remington factory, but it is correct for a Finn capture.

The rear sights were ranged in Russian Arshins, similar to yards but 30 inches. The Finns would have re-stamped them as you have pictured.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:53:58 PM EDT
Is the bolt knob also serial numbered?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 4:11:44 PM EDT by HommieDaKlown]

Originally Posted By The_Insider:

Nope.
I don't expect to sell her. Considering shooting it though.  I think the stock will need to be repaired, maybe O_P has an opinion on the best way to do that.  

Lemon Oil on the stock won't cause any problems will it ?

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:56:49 PM EDT
A peak under the hood.  Nasty crack.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:05:10 PM EDT
I would fill the crack with super glue and work it in by squeezing it and clamping it together by hand until it dries.

Clean it up, scrub the rust off the butt plate and shoot it. I'm thinking you'll be very pleased.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 7:43:48 PM EDT by opositive]
the cross cannon is a finn stock maker mark, and the av3 = arms depot no 3. the 4 digit number i think is for a unit.  these marks make your stock very rare.  

even without the SA and D, those are great remington marks––and even the 2 imperial eagles are intact––the finns usually grind all of these off––that's why finns have that indentation on the receiver and are pretty clean other than finn markings.  the finns hated russia but chose to use the mosin to be practical-there were plenty cheap mosins for sale after ww1, and the finns knew the russians would return.   i would treasure a 91 with just the remington and eagles.  i only have a few finns with A clear eagle, and none of mine have 2 eagles.  oh yeah, this is a keeper.  very, very rare.  usually all you get with a finn remington is a tang mark under the wood.  

i love finns, and this one is an absolute keeper.  this is a collector piece worth hundreds and hundreds––shoot it a few times for fun, but i would set this aside.  regular 91's and 91/30's are still cheap––buy one of those for shooting.

you have a very rare finn stock and very rare 91 markings––so i guess that makes your rifle double plus good rare. you got very, very lucky.  fabulous.  i am jealous.  good for you.  

another edit––you have a finn front sight.  the rear sight––arshins are shown with the fainter, bigger numbers.  meters are on the side with the deeper numbers.  there were about 840, 000 remington m91 made at all––it is not known how many of these came into finn hands.  to give some perspective: there were over 9 million m91s and later about 17.5 million m91/30's made by the russian arsenals.  if your bolt has an R in a circle, that should be a remington bolt.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:13:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By weptek911:

"Stole" is too mild a word.

Nice example of a rifle that was "there".

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:40:45 PM EDT
to say it probably saw combat is an understatement I think!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:50:23 PM EDT
If your lemon oil is scented mineral oil I would NOT put it on there.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By HommieDaKlown:
Originally Posted By The_Insider:

Nope.

I don't expect to sell her. Considering shooting it though.  I think the stock will need to be repaired, maybe O_P has an opinion on the best way to do that.  

Lemon Oil on the stock won't cause any problems will it ?

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 10:26:29 PM EDT by HommieDaKlown]

Originally Posted By opositive:

the cross cannon is a finn stock maker mark, and the av3 = arms depot no 3. the 4 digit number i think is for a unit.  these marks make your stock very rare.  

even without the SA and D, those are great remington marks––and even the 2 imperial eagles are intact––the finns usually grind all of these off––that's why finns have that indentation on the receiver and are pretty clean other than finn markings.  the finns hated russia but chose to use the mosin to be practical-there were plenty cheap mosins for sale after ww1, and the finns knew the russians would return.   i would treasure a 91 with just the remington and eagles.  i only have a few finns with A clear eagle, and none of mine have 2 eagles.  oh yeah, this is a keeper.  very, very rare.  usually all you get with a finn remington is a tang mark under the wood.  

i love finns, and this one is an absolute keeper.  this is a collector piece worth hundreds and hundreds––shoot it a few times for fun, but i would set this aside.  regular 91's and 91/30's are still cheap––buy one of those for shooting.

you have a very rare finn stock and very rare 91 markings––so i guess that makes your rifle double plus good rare. you got very, very lucky.  fabulous.  i am jealous.  good for you.  

another edit––you have a finn front sight.  the rear sight––arshins are shown with the fainter, bigger numbers.  meters are on the side with the deeper numbers.  there were about 840, 000 remington m91 made at all––it is not known how many of these came into finn hands.  to give some perspective: there were over 9 million m91s and later about 17.5 million m91/30's made by the russian arsenals.  if your bolt has an R in a circle, that should be a remington bolt.  

Thank you for the info.  So in your opinion, I should NOT attempt to modify or repair the stock to keep its historical integrity? How do I preserve the wood then, to prevent further cracking?
djenkins, it says it contains petroleum distillates on the bottle, but nothing indicating its contents.

It is Holloway House brand, Lemon Oil with Sun-guard.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:32:37 PM EDT
the two most popular methods are to rub boiled linseed oil (blo) and/or pure tung oil.  no varnish, just oil––you need to check the label.  blo is easy to find at the harware store.  pure tung oil is harder to find since so many brands are "finishes" with varnish.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:38:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 5:40:44 PM EDT by skywarp989]
Originally Posted By opositive:
the cross cannon is a finn stock maker mark, and the av3 = arms depot no 3. the 4 digit number i think is for a unit.The 4 digit number is not a unit number. I don't think the exact purpose of those numbers on AV3 stocks is known, but the Finns used stock disks in the rare cases that they put unit marks on rifles.  these marks make your stock very rare.  

even without the SA and D, those are great remington marks––and even the 2 imperial eagles are intact––the finns usually grind all of these off Not so. The Finns very rarely ground the eagles off of Imperial M1891s - in fact, a M91 with scrubbed eagles is almost never a Finn, and ones in the U.S. with intact eagles are almost always Finns.––that's why finns have that indentation on the receiver and are pretty clean other than finn markings.Only on Finn-made rifles, such as M39s, where they used their own barrels.  the finns hated russia but chose to use the mosin to be practical-there were plenty cheap mosins for sale after ww1, and the finns knew the russians would return.   i would treasure a 91 with just the remington and eagles.  i only have a few finns with A clear eagle, and none of mine have 2 eagles.  oh yeah, this is a keeper.  very, very rare.It's a nice rifle, but I wouldn't call it "rare." This is a very typical Finn-marked Remington.  usually all you get with a finn remington is a tang mark under the wood.  

i love finns, and this one is an absolute keeper.  this is a collector piece worth hundreds and hundreds––shoot it a few times for fun, but i would set this aside. It's a nice Finn rifle with a lot of history, but it's not exactly a museum-quality item. With the cracked stock and water damage to the butt, it's probably worth $200 or so. Depending on how bad the crack in the stock is, maybe less. All-original Remington M91s, with all matching Remington parts, can fetch upwards of $1,000 –– but in these cases, Finn markings actually hurt value.  regular 91's and 91/30's are still cheap––buy one of those for shooting.

you have a very rare finn stock It's uncommon, but doesn't really add any value over a Russian stock. If it were the original walnut Remington stock, then yes, it would be more valuable.and very rare 91 markings Well, standard Remington M91 markings, which aren't that rare––so i guess that makes your rifle double plus good rare. you got very, very lucky.  fabulous.  i am jealous.  good for you.  

I don't mean to pick on you, opositive, and I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm concerning Finn rifle collecting. But I do feel an obligation to point out that the source of info you're using for Finn rifle data might be a little out of date.

To the OP: Your post on gunboards got you the best info yet. Vic over there is one of the top Finn militaria experts in the world, let alone the U.S.A. Fix that stock and go shooting! You have a historic and desirable (if not museum-grade) old-world battle rifle.

Here's a few glamour shots of my Remington, which is similar to yours except that it is in an Imperial German-marked Russian stock ––

And the doe I killed with it a couple years back ––

Top Top