Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2002 5:54:17 PM EDT
I currently need to either pare down the crap that I take to the range, of get some bigger bags and tool kits.

What do you bring to the range?

What is necessary, and what is fluff that should be left on your work bench at home?  Why?

Any suggestions on range bags or tool kits?

Things I'm looking for are, for instance, an M4 stock tool might be nice to have in case it's ever needed (mine is staked), but do you really want to lug all that crap to the range?

What is the bare essentials that should be brought to the range?  Consider that you're bringing an AR15, 1911, holsters, mags, ammo, etc.  I also prefer to load my shooting ammo at the range, so I don't load my shooting ammo the night before (i.e., ammo and mags need to be separate).

TIA for your ideas.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Lube, a cleaning kit, my Leatherman, and a couple of rags. It is complex, but has served me well since I was a boy and I have never needed more.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Why worry about it. Put together a set of tools/accessories in a field box and leave them in the truck/car. That way you got'em if you ever need'em. Take the basics to the bench with you but you got backups in the trunk.

I keep the leatherman tool and a small compact screwdriver/bit set in the field box. Have cleaning supplies, rags, special tools, and spare parts.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I take a small Chapman gunsmith screwdriver set, a small mallet and a punch for my basic tools. I carry some Break Free and a "toothbrush" for cleaning equipment with a rag or two. Lots of ear plugs, ammo, magazines if necessary (I have other firearms that ARE NOT ARs), targets, and a stapler.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess what I was looking for is more about what and how you pack it as the bags are what I will need to get.  The stuff I have, it's just a matter of deciding what to bring.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't ask me - I just take everything.  The last time I went to the range with a buddy, between both our gear we were just barely able to fit everything in a Chevy Tahoe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't ask me - I just take everything.  The last time I went to the range with a buddy, between both our gear we were just barely able to fit everything in a Chevy Tahoe.

HA! This sounds like me and my buddy

Actually I've been rethinking this lately and I've almost come to a conclusion.  Here are the essentials:

Guns
Hosters
Ammo
Targets
Muffs
Glasses

But you're reading a post from a guy who drags a 70pound backpack through the woods on camping trips.  About 30 of those pounds are "essential".  The rest is "just in case" crap that I don't use 90% of the time or more.  It's always better to have an not need than to need and not have, right?  At least this is what I tell myself.  I need to reduce this to less than 45 pounds (including H2O) by the end of the summer.  Winter camping always adds weight.  But that's beside the point.

I always take a complete cleaning kit with me expecting to clean my guns before I go home.  But I never actually do this.  After spending 4 hours on the range, I'm lucky if I clean my stuff the next day.  There's a whole list of other crap that I take but don't need.

I need to minimize, dramatically.  Here is my plan.  Take only the guns that I know will be used.  Limit my ammo to what I plan to shoot and take home very little.  The target stand always stays in the trunk.  I know that I won't be cleaning my stuff at the range (though I should).  So the rest of the stuff should fit either in my rifle case, or a small range bag.  The bag I've got now is beginning to tear from all the weight.  I think I'll go to Play it Again Sports and see if I can pick up a cheapazz used sport bag to drag all my garbage around.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Keeping in mind that I'm a law enforcement firearms instructor....

My Bagmaster Pro Shooters bag contains (at least) the following:

Peltor Tactical 7s
Oakleys in ballistic case, along with spare lenses and cleaning stuff
DPMS all-purpose tool
At least 4 handguns, and usually no more than 6 mags each
Full first aid kit
stop watch
extra batteries for EVERYTHING
Whistle
3 Stapleguns and staples
bitdriver set
paracord
6-8 M16 mags
paper and pen
some energy bars
at least one bottle of water
various extra parts (mostly pistol)
Surefire 9N
Cold Steel Kobun
one of those personal size Kleenex packs
magic markers
50 rounds each of 9mm, .38, .40, .45, 12ga, and .223 safety rounds
a holster or two & spare mag holder
an "enhanced" USGI cleaning kit
a golf towel (the kind with the metal clip on it)
GOTD (gadget of the day)
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Last trip I made to the range was just to do a quick "function test", and "sight-in" on one of my AR's...

Took 6 or 8 loaded mags, and my toolbox full of gun tools and spare parts...

Definately had WAY more stuff than I needed...  

That is until I had an empty shell stick in the chamber after only 15 rounds fired...

All those extra tools didn't help worth a shit, because I left the cleaning rod at home...

Turns out, the spring under the extractor was crap...

Luckily, I live only 1 mile from the range...

My philosiphy is, take EVERYTHING...

MURPHY'S LAW:
You will need whatever it is you left at home...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You got that right. Keep the tools in the car just in case..keeps down on the weight... I had to go with a bigger bag..I carry a Sig 220, A model 29 6" 44 Mag., a colt lawman 357 snob, and a 410-45 pocket gun I shoot once in a while. Also ammo and shooting glasses, ear protection, shooting gloves and all my spare mags..sheeez..My bigger bag is already full!..lol
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Scope

Bayonet

Screw Driver

Cleaning kit with patches

Allen wrenches

Holster

Spare Sling

Mags

Gloves

Hearing protection

Spare parts (firing pin/springs/hammer/etc)

Hammer

and a buch of other crap that I can't live without but alway forget I have in there

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Duct tape.

mug
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top