Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 10:07:40 PM EDT
Ok so a rifled shotgun barrel is designed for the sabot slugs, and un-rifled slugs right?

But what does buckshot do when fired through them? Start spinning off into unpredictable rotations? That would be a 21" bbl BTW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It will do some pretty good damage to a burglar, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that good bad or otherwise?

What kind of spread at how far?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#4]
We test-fired some buckshot out of a rifled barrel to show what it would do.  At 21 yards, the entire center of the target was clean.  A skinny man wouldn't have even gotten a flesh wound.   We found an average of 5 out of 9 buckshot on the 4' X 4' piece of cardboard.
The shot gets spinning in the barrel and the centrifugal force of the spinning throws the shot all over as soon as it leaves the barrel.  Imagine a bunch of kids on a really fast merry-go-round and they all let go and get thrown in different directions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]
FNG, I own two fully rifled deer barrels. Never shot any buckshot thru them. But I have shot hundreds of those .22 crimped Long Rifle shot cartridges loaded with #12 shot thru my Ruger 10-22. Makes a good blank, that's about it. Can't kill a sparrow at 6'. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok seems like I would be better off just buying a smooth cylinder barrel.
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a different experience.  In my barrel the group was so tight it was almost 1 hole.  I forget the yards, maybe 15 to 20 yards?  Long time ago. I think at longer ranges the crap flew all over.

You should not do it anyway.  The large lands and grooves will get fouled with lead and be very hard to clean.  Plus it will affect your accuracy eventually.  There is not suppose to be any shot swirling around in there, just a sabot with plastic column.  Same goes for plain old slugs too.  Of course I read this and comprehended it after I had already done all that.

It makes sense, the large lands can really cut in to the lead pellets or plain slug.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah would have been nice to only need to buy one barrel. Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
FNG, What make shotgun is this for? For some guns you can buy a smooth bore deer style barrel with rifle sights or a cantilever scope mount that uses screw in chokes. This is possible for both Remington and Winchester. Both brands offer a rifled screw in choke for use with sabot slugs and you can use regular chokes, full, modified or improved cylinder with buckshot. Winchester make a 1300 pump that they call "buck and tom" using this same idea for deer and turkey. Remington offers smooth bore deer barrels like this for the 870 and 1100 and offer two styles of rifled chokes, extended and flush. MIKE
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone make saboted buckshot? That'd work....except maybe the centrifugal force. Hmm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top