Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 5:48:38 PM EDT
I bought a box of CCI .22 Shotshell the other day out of couriousity. What do you use this stuff for? Is it safe for my Marlin? Will it feed reliably?

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It works great on copperheads and water moccasins. Been using it for years.

What kind of Marlin do you have and did you buy the crimped brass birdshot or the plastic  capped?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Plastic capped

Its a Marlin Mod 60.

What kind of range should I expect from this stuff?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the "snake" shot to shoot small critters like frogs, toads, grasshoppers, Ect. More fun than Trap or sporting clays.

a friend of mine use the CCI .22 shot shell load to kill a Rat that moved into his apartemtn. One shot from his Ruger single six.

In my experiance the snake shot patterns tighter from short brls than long brls.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
small pests.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Or large pests---back when I lived on my folks' farm, I'd shoot our neighbors hogs and cattle  with .22 shotshells whenever they strayed into our pastures (and, as often as the neighbor mended the watergap fence, it happened frequently).  I switched to .22 shotshells after blasting a holstein with 20ga. #8 shot while she was a tad too close.

Edited to say that I would only shoot them from a POS gun, as the shot will screw up the rifling.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think lead shot will 'screw up the rifling' on a steel barrel.  Any other thoughts on this?

It's not like it's being shot into the barrel, it's travelling along it, like any other lead projectile (less actually, as unlike the regular .22lr, it isn't making contact most of the way down)
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I've tried a few through my Ruger Mk II. At 10' only two pellets hit a pop can, and only penetrated one side. The rifling tends to make "donut" patterns leaving the the center of the target empty of hits. I don't know if they still make it, but Marlin had a .22 Mag bolt action smoothbore which was quite effective. It's range was measured in yards rather than feet. I always thought a smoothbore pistol would be neat- unfortunatly,  that would be a no-no with the BATF.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I always thought a smoothbore pistol would be neat- unfortunatly,  that would be a no-no with the BATF.

Hey, why not? It would be a AOW, you would have to register it, but AOW tax is only $5, so it wouldnt be so bad. That would be a neat way to deal with backyard pests.

At least I think its an AOW, Im not so sure.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I always thought a smoothbore pistol would be neat- unfortunatly,  that would be a no-no with the BATF.

Hey, why not? It would be a AOW, you would have to register it, but AOW tax is only $5, so it wouldnt be so bad. That would be a neat way to deal with backyard pests.

At least I think its an AOW, Im not so sure.

It would be a AOW.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Mossberg 340K bolt action I shoot it out of . Can't say I've ever shot a snake past 10 yrds so I can't give you a max effective distance. Maybe that will give me something to do this afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't know if they still make it, but Marlin had a .22 Mag bolt action smoothbore which was quite effective. It's range was measured in yards rather than feet.

Marlin Garden Gun. Got good reviews in the gun rags, but doesnt everything..
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
i have used it out of my marlin 60 with limited success. it feeds fine, but will not cycle the bolt. you will have to cycle the bolt manually after each shot. i took some with me last year on a fishing trip. i got to within 10 feet of a water moccassin. shot it with all ten shots(ruger 22/45) it never even slowed down. it was swimming at the time so i'm sure the water didn't let the little shot penetrate very far. i have switched to the CCI 38/357 shotshells. they will blow a snake in half at 15 yards. he was on the bank. louder than hell though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know if they still make it, but Marlin had a .22 Mag bolt action smoothbore which was quite effective. It's range was measured in yards rather than feet.

Marlin Garden Gun. Got good reviews in the gun rags, but doesnt everything..

25MG "Garden Gun" smoothbore .2WMR. It was made specifically to use #12 birdshot, it was dropped from production for 2003.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
at work we had some pidgons living in out neon sign. shooting them with a pellet gun or colibres is the prefered meathod (we are in city limits) but i wasnt going to destroy or sign, so i flushed the bird out, and took it arial with one of those CCI birdshot .22 loads. it was acually a tough shot. no more pidgons
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
rattlesnakes, mice, wayward cattle and the occasional buffalo.

SRM
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Sparrows that get into our warehouses...

SNAP!       (thud)
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My three year old shoots balloons with it.  Puts a smile on his and my face everytime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top