Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2011 11:48:44 AM EDT
Picked up a 1918 BSA No1Mk3 a few years back as my first milsurp rifle. All the numbers match, stock is kinda beat up (lots of dings, repairs) but the bolt moves like butter.

I did a basic cleanup on it when I got it. But wasn't able to do all the work that I wanted to. Got all the crap out of the barrel, receiver, got rid of a bit of rust, etc. Cleaned up the stock a wee bit and replaced some missing parts (still need a brass disc for the stock).

Now that I have some more time and space to work on guns available I'd like to finish it up. Found a guide on one of the milsurp sites to making the stock look nice again without having to sand or anything (I like the repair bits). But I'm not sure what to do about the metal. Finish is, naturally, mostly gone or spotty. And a wee bit of rust has appeared near the front site. Naturally I want to get rid of that and get something on there to protect the bare metal.

I'm not sure what finish though. On the Box O' Truth OP used black bake on automotive paint on a No4. Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you going for original or modern finish?  Or do you not really care?

OP's site is a good one, but he doesn't really go for traditional when it comes to refinishing

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are you going for original or modern finish?  Or do you not really care?

OP's site is a good one, but he doesn't really go for traditional when it comes to refinishing

I care a bit. I'd like to make it look like it did way back when, but don't have the skills or facilities to do anything amazingly complex.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
http://aa-ok.com/black-gun-paint-british-black-gun-paint-16oz-aerosol.html

This is supposed to be the closest thing to Suncorite that is available here in the US.  Personally I would probably use the engine enamel from NAPA or some other auto parts place if I were after the black enamel look.

Citrus Strip will remove the remaining old finish.  You could find someone local to bead blast the parts and paint it yourself.  If you can,t get it bead blasted Emory cloth or a red Scotch Brite pad will scuff the surface enough for painting.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
CLP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://aa-ok.com/black-gun-paint-british-black-gun-paint-16oz-aerosol.html

This is supposed to be the closest thing to Suncorite that is available here in the US.  Personally I would probably use the engine enamel from NAPA or some other auto parts place if I were after the black enamel look.

Citrus Strip will remove the remaining old finish.  You could find someone local to bead blast the parts and paint it yourself.  If you can,t get it bead blasted Emory cloth or a red Scotch Brite pad will scuff the surface enough for painting.

A friend of mine tried that British Black when it was available in the mid 90s through Victoria Trading Company(they had $350 unissued Enfields then too). Decent result but be aware it's a thick paint and will obscure markings if you're not careful with application. If you're careful and spray lightly you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My Enfield is painted... Looks fine... I suspect that yours looks like my Mauser there ??

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]
While No. 4s were often Suncorited SMLEs rarely were. Generally, this was only done by the Indians. Unless your rifle has an Ishapore screw through the fore-end or other signs of Indian ownership I would stay away from Suncorite/enamel paint finishes.

The original finish of a 1918 BSA Mk. III* would have been blue. If you refinish the rifle, I highly recommend having it reblued.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
My Indian SMLE was the worst C&R I've tackled.  

I used a DuraCoat type finish for a nice looking shooter.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
/\/\ Christ and I thought mine looked bad. Although nice to see even a shitty looking rifle can turn out to be a good shooter. I hope mine comes out well.

Quoted:
While No. 4s were often Suncorited SMLEs rarely were. Generally, this was only done by the Indians. Unless your rifle has an Ishapore screw through the fore-end or other signs of Indian ownership I would stay away from Suncorite/enamel paint finishes.

The original finish of a 1918 BSA Mk. III* would have been blue. If you refinish the rifle, I highly recommend having it reblued.

No Indian markings at all and no screw. Bluing sounds better than the paint as some of the markings are kinda worn and I don't want to lose 'em. I want this more as a "shooter" but want to preserve as much history as possible.

Any recommendations on somebody who does rebluing on old milsurp? It might be a bit too much to do in a small apartment. Plus I've never done it and wouldn't want to fuck it up.

Only other issue I see is that the wood just forward of the front sight, well, the little wood bits that reach around the sight going aft come up off the wood below a bit. Not sure how to get them tight again.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top