Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:46:23 PM EDT
I was thinking that throwing a few light sticks in my med pouch and blow out kit would be a good idea, but I'm not sure which color would be the best.  Red seems to be a poor choice.  I have blue, green and yellow on hand, and I think I've seen white in the past.  Of those, which would be the best choice to throw in there?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
GREEN, definitely green.

a while back in the survival forum i did a fairly comprehensive test of 4 different brands of chem-lights. 2 from wal-mart 1 from a dealer on the board here and one straight out of the NAS Atlanta PX.  all 4 were yellow. against them i tested a green stick from one of the mil-spec manufacturers and the green stick was brighter than all the yellow sticks at every point in the test. it had the longest duration. on the 2nd night of the test my wife and i sat on the back deck for an hour in dark talking. when our eyes were well adjusted i put the 2 day old green stick on my woodpile and we could see it from about 15yds away. we couldnt see anything from the 2 day old yellow stick that won the test. so in my opinion a Mil-spec stick from Ameriglo or Omniglow in green would be the best choice.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=394655
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
KRILL light
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks DvlDog, excellent link!  The sticks I've got are the Ameriglo ones from MSP (red, blue, green, yellow.)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
KRILL light

VERY interesting little light there.  Do you have a recommended retailer for them?  I wonder if anyone will have them at SHOT (I'll be there.)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The little Inova lights are good for that kind of use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
GREEN, definitely green.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=394655

made it hot for you...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep at least one white one in there.  If you're doing medical stuff, you will want white light most of the time to identify what's blood and what's not.  

That said, I keep white, blue, and orange in my medical stuff.  Reasoning:  The blue helps find blood against light backgrounds (like skin, concrete, etc.).  It also isn't so bright as to kill your night vision, and I believe blue light has the shortest throw, so it's the least likely to be spotted from afar.  The orange is in there for marking and rescue purposes.  Orange wavelengths cut through fog easier than any other color (which is why your fog lamps are orange, and orange sodium lamps are on the sides of highways and roads.  Orange is kind of a universal safety/rescue color.  

You still need white light.  I would advise against krill lights due to low output.  Not really enough to work by, especially when you need some LIGHT, or in twilight, where your eyes are less than completely adjusted to the dark.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I never really liked light sticks for illumination, but if you have to use them I guess they are okay. Traditionally we used green, yellow and red to identify patients by critical levels and sort them out by use of Triage. . Green = Walking Injured Non Critical.   Yellow = Intermediate Injury Can Delay Transport for an Hour.   Red = Critical Immediate Transport Life Threatening.  Hope this helps. Medic17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top