Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2001 7:09:35 PM EDT
I bought a Bushmaster m4gery upper and need bolt and assembly.    I saw a FN  ($119),   is it OK or should I look for Colt/Bushy.   Probably a stupid question, but that's how you avoid stupid mistakes.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy MilSpec M16 Carriers and then use a plasma cutter to make them USDA legal.Others use a milling machine or Dremel.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a brand new milspec Bushmaster bolt/carrier for $89 from Keissler's(sp?) who advertise in Shotgun News. Why bother with anything else?
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:12:56 AM EDT
[#3]
keislers was out when I ordered the m4 upper friday. Thanks,   I read that FN was a USGI supplier.  I need to verify that the bolt is ar15 not m16 as I don't care to bother with modifications.  Would there be a ar15 "mil issue"  bolt  or just "mil spec"
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Try Shurluk Marketing. They always have a supply of AR15 or M16 carriers and bolts. $115 complete. High quality magna-fluxed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried ordering one direct from Bushmaster? Their price is around $120. That is for an AR15 config, no mods needed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
i have two bushmaster dissipators i ordered from the factory over two years ago.  they are flawless rifles. bushmaster is a defense contractor and since you have a bushmaster upper anyways,  go with bushmasteer
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with DPMS for the bolt.  For all the claims about all of Bushmaster's parts being mil-spec, I've seen more problems with Bushmaster bolts than any other.  Not the carriers, just the bolts themselves.  You can get a DPMS bolt/carrier complete for just over a hundred bucks from Brownells, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, Sparky  (always wanted to say that! and have it actually be real...)

What kind of problems have you seen with Bushy bolts??  I've been shooting these things for a lot of years now, and the only serious problems I've heard of were in full auto guns with tens of thousands of rounds through them.

Just curious....  would like to know what to watch out for.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You can buy a brand new milspec Bushmaster bolt/carrier for $89 from Keissler's(sp?) who advertise in Shotgun News. Why bother with anything else?

Uh, because they are out, and have been out for some time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Gus-

The problems I've seen have been bolts that are out of spec, usually in that the face of the bolt is too far back from the forward edge of the locking lugs.  I've also seen firing pin holes that were too large combined with a tail on the bolt that was too short, and the pin would protrude too far and get stuck when the hammer fell, locking up the gun.  Luckily we found that problem while dry-firing a new gun, as it could easily have led to a pierced primer.

My experience with my own Bushmaster products has been outstanding, but I've seen a lot of rifles have out-of-spec bolt problems.  I've seen more of this on the LEO carbines than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:20:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Sparky315 -

Thanks. More stuff to keep an eye out for.

FALARAK -

You're late - read the post following the one you quoted.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
A friend ordered one of the DPMS carrier and bolt from Brownells, and it checked out with excessive headspace in ALL barrels tried. It also looked like it was made with files in Afghanistan. The price was good but it was a piece of crap. The DPMS lower parts kit from Brownells was missing a bunch of pins, and the LAR upper receiver was out of spec also (short). I would personally avoid DPMS, or DPMS from Brownells, and LAR (whoever they are).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top