Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2011 1:35:34 PM EDT
Not sure if there is a better place to ask on here but I figured since reloading is all about accuracy I would think yall would know best. Im about to load up my first batch and was looking at options for shooting rests for the next time I go the the range.

Im about to make an order for a spotting scope and am trying to kill 2 birds with one order.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=149023

But I think the item steve4102 has suggested is better.  When I first brought this, my thought was that it would be more stable to have the gun supported both ends, but the fact is you get the same degree of control using the simple front rest and sandbag in the rear.  It is also cheaper, lighter, smaller and so easier to transport.  I also think that you can get in to your gun a little closer.  For the mild recoil from a 223, the back rest is not needed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This up front and a sand bag on the rear.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=348661

I have the same rest and for general benchrest shooting it is good.  Adjustments are not as precise as the more expensive ones.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The dirt under my feet, rifle case and a pillow case stuffed with sand
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
For handgun, I'm using this:

Shooters Ridge

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]

stand up and shoot
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You can do some good shooting with a simple front and rear sandbag set up, Wally World sells them for $20 in my town. Or you can make one with an old sock or two, or pillow case. Bags work great. The trouble with bags is, everytime you want to shift to a new target or adjust your aim , you have to change everything around, stick a block of wood under your bag, plump it up, so on. An adjustable front rest is the choice of most serious shooters because you can quickly and easily adjust your gross point of aim. A squeezable  sand bag for the rear is the crowd favorite for your fine adjustments, once you are on the target. I usually get the verticle alignment set, and slightly over the target with the front rest, stock at the butt sitting on the sand bag, hand on the grip, butt firmly into the shoulder, then squeeze the bag with my off hand to raise the butt and drop the cross hairs into the target for the trigger squeeze. a "bunny eared" bag full of sand or a similar media is best for this, but a sock full of sand will get the job done. I don't really need a fancy, finely adjustable front rest, because I do the fine tuning with a rear bag. I just need the front rest to be steady and go up and down.

A little off topic though, Aero E will probably bump it somewhere  else when he wakes up.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An adjustable front rest with a sandbag, and a rear sandbag.

This.

More specifically THIS

And

THIS
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
This,

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#12]
.50cal ammo can + soft side zipup style handgun case for padding.

I enjoy a challenge.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#13]

He has the right idea, the only addition for the accuracy freaks might be this benchrest adapter

Makes for a much more stable setup with no canting. I mount mine to the scewhole for the sling stud on my WOA Varmint handguard.

Molon uses a similar adapter of his design, it is more compact, cleaner looking, and mounts on his rail.

Trying to find pics of Molons setup (maybe he'll drop in and share a pic), I found This adapter set.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I have this for rifle zero.
Full rest

This for pistol zero
Pistol

And these for group shooting.
Bags

Otherwise I just use a bipod and my shoulder or off hand.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Anything that works .

If your looking for a cheap spotter that is decent the Konus above works great. My shooting partner has a Leupold and this spotter is much clearer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using Uncle Bud's Bull Bag up front and a Protektor bunny eared bag in the rear. This set economical option does not afford you the fine adjustments made easily buy a elevation and windage benchrest style front rest. I've worked around it and am happy with the performance on target.

To get the front and rear elevation changes necesarry I have sheets of thick (1/2"+) rubber. I cut it up from scrap. 12" wide by 18" long is fine for the front. 8" x 8" for the rear works well. I can lift the front or rear to get a the rifle dead on target by adding or subtracting how many sheets are under the sand bags. Not  perfect, but very stable and less than $80.00 total investment.

I would love a top quality front windage/elevation adjustable rest and that means I'll probably get one. That's how things work around here. The seed gets planted and the idea turns into action when funds allow. Sinclair International sells a wide variety of front rests and several other sources are featured at www.accurateshooter.com and www.benchrestcentral.com - good luck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Really like my Dog Gone Good shooting bag (field size) with plastic pellets inside for both range work and varmint hunting.  It really holds a rifle steady and I think it is equal to or better than a three legged front rest.   I use a regular rear sandbag for the range work.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a harris bipod or a 3-day pack in front and a bean-bag in back....or my led-sled.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top