Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 6:14:25 AM EDT
Recently I saw one of the old Ballistic Knives,the one with a spring loaded blade that shoots out,does anyone know what the legal restrictions are?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
They are restricted at least...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I kinda figured that,does anyone know the extent,components?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on your local laws what is restricted and not.  In CA, anything over 2" is restricted for ballistic/automatic knives (PC 653K and 12020).
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunno.  In VA you may not cary one concealed about your person in general public.  In your hoome or work place diff story and if it is in plane view diff story....I think.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting subject.  Many states have laws which forbade any type of knife with a springloaded mechanism.(not auto assist mind you)  One that pushes the knife out in a vertical fashion.  Also note that many states have in there crimes code/penal code sections that refer to such items as "prohibited offensive weapons"  Such as we have here in PA.  Always best to check with your local PD or get your hands on your states Crimes code and read it for yourself.  I must admit though I am unaware of the Federal statutes on these items.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in the late 80's, I had what was called a "Russian Spetnaz" knife. It was about the same size as a bayonet, and had a knurled handle. It also had a knurled blade cover that screwed onto it. It had a heavy spring inside the handle and a flat trigger. Depress the trigger, and the blade would shoot out. It was powerful enough that you could stick a tree 20-30 feet away. I sold it soon after, and the last I heard, they are illegal as hell.

EDIT: Found a website with a photo of one:

www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2300/2375.htm
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Back in the late 80's, I had what was called a "Russian Spetnaz" knife. It was about the same size as a bayonet, and had a knurled handle. It also had a knurled blade cover that screwed onto it. It had a heavy spring inside the handle and a flat trigger. Depress the trigger, and the blade would shoot out. It was powerful enough that you could stick a tree 20-30 feet away. I sold it soon after, and the last I heard, they are illegal as hell.

EDIT: Found a website with a photo of one:

www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2300/2375.htm

Thanks M4,thats what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
does anyone know what the legal restrictions are?

TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 29 >

§ 1245. Ballistic knives
Release date: 2005-08-01

(a) Prohibition and penalties for possession, manufacture, sale, or importation
Whoever in or affecting interstate commerce, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), knowingly possesses, manufactures, sells, or imports a ballistic knife shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
(b) Prohibition and penalties for possession or use during commission of Federal crime of violence
Whoever possesses or uses a ballistic knife in the commission of a Federal crime of violence shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not less than five years and not more than ten years, or both.
(c) Exceptions
The exceptions provided in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of section 1244 of this title with respect to switchblade knives shall apply to ballistic knives under subsection (a) of this section.
(d) “Ballistic knife” defined
As used in this section, the term “ballistic knife” means a knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism.

Oddly enough, it's the spring that's deemed illegal.  
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top