Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 5:32:36 PM EDT
I need a deer rifle for upper Mi hunting and have been looking into different calibers. A customer of ours has a .270wsm and recommended it.
Would like to know your thoughts?
I did a search and turned up nothing....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:41:04 PM EDT
Those that I know who have it, really like it. You might want to study the ballastics hard & see if the range & drop chart fits your type & area of hunting?

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:11:21 PM EDT
This must be a relatively new cartridge yet . Remington doesn't have info for it in there catalogs. I will have to check some ammo mfg for some info.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:27:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 9:34:45 AM EDT by green-grizzly]
I have one, a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless. I have had it for a couple years and shot a pronghorn at about 40 yards with the 130 grain ballistic silvertip. The results were devestating.

I have not used it since then, but am getting it ready for this season as I have a couple more pronghorn tags. I chronographed two boxes of the factory ammo. One box was over 3300 fps, with another box being about 3250 fps. Accuracy was good for a factory rifle with factory ammo, about 1 MOA.

Winchester says its factory ammo goes 3275 fps, and Federal says 3300 fps for theirs (130 grain bullets). I think my Nosler manual has a load that does a little over 3300 fps. It is a screamer. I set mine up with a 300 yard zero; the bullet is never more than 4" above the LOS, and the bullet is only 4" low at 360 yards.

I like the caliber for several reasons. First, it is the flattest shooting deer cartridge you can get. It shoots as flat or flatter than the 300 Wby, 300 RUM or 7mm Mags. Second, it does this with less recoil. It only kicks about as bad as a 30-06. It is also cheaper to shoot than other cartridges that shoot almost as flat, like the 7mm STW and 300 RUM, and you can get the ammo at Wal-Mart. It is the ultimate long range deer/sheep/pronghorn caliber IMHO.

www.shortmags.org has a lot of good information.

If you do not quite need that kind of range, the old 270, the 7-08 and the 260 are great flat-shooting deer cartridges with moderate recoil.

-green
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:20:36 PM EDT
A friend just bought one in a synthetic Winchester, and we actually shot it the other day. Recoil was considerably more than the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle .270 Win we were shooting, but not too terrible. Of course, we were shooting factory 150gr bullets out of a 6.5lb gun. Accuracy was a little over an inch, and we haven't worked up any loads for it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By green-grizzly:
I have one, a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless. I have had it for a couple years and shot a pronghorn at about 40 yards with the 130 grain ballistic silvertip. The results were devestating.

I have not used it since then, but am getting it ready for this season as I have a couple more pronghorn tags. I chronographed two boxes of the factory ammo. One box was over 3300 fps, with another box being about 3250 fps. Accuracy was good for a factory rifle with factory ammo, about 1 MOA.

Winchester says its factory ammo goes 3275 fps, and Federal says 3300 fps for theirs (130 grain bullets). I think my Nosler manual has a load that does a little over 3300 fps. It is a screamer. I set mine up with a 300 yard zero; the bullet is never more than 4" above the LOS, and the bullet is only 4" low at 360 yards.

I like the caliber for several reasons. First, it is the flattest shooting deer cartridge you can get. It shoots as flat or flatter than the 300 Wby, 300 RUM or 7mm Mags. Second, it does this with less recoil. It only kicks about as bad as a 30-06. It is also cheaper to shoot than other cartridges that shoot almost as flat, like the 7mm STW and 300 RUM, and you can get the ammo at Wal-Mart. It is the ultimate long range deer/sheep/pronghorn caliber IMHO.

www.shortmags.org has a lot of good information.

If you do not quite need that kind of range, the old 270, the 7-08 and the 260 are great flat-shooting deer cartridges with moderate recoil.

-green

Thanks for the link and your info.
I live in shot gun zone in Mi. and have used my Encore muzzleloader with good success. Last year I had the chance to hunt the rifle area and felt under gunned with a muzzleloader. Some areas off the ridge you could see a mile.
Having some more fire power couldn't hurt and is a good excuse to buy a new rifle.

Why I like the 270wsm is what you said less recoil but good range.
I was leaning to the Remington 700 because I'm familiar with that brand. I just bought a Winchester Stealth in .223 and really like it. This may be a option also.
Thanks again for your replies
Top Top