Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2008 11:46:55 PM EDT
I was just surfing around and looking for some information on the FNAR. Anyone have anything to say or input on these?
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Got to shoot one the other day and it shot pretty well. Got it pretty hot and we were still able to bang steel plates pretty good out to 4-500 yds.

It is a tactical version of the BAR

Interesting gun indeed
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
So are they available? I was doing some surfing around and hadn't see any advertised anyplace. I suppose I could have my wife drop by a local dealer and place an inquiry. Any ideas of the current pricing?
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So are they available?

Nope. I was lucky enough to attend a FN shoot and got to play with all their cool toys

Any ideas of the current pricing?

Nope
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
damn it, just like waiting on their PBR USA in .223, what a tease.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The name makes me laugh...

...especially if you pronounce it as a word.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
1200 and some change at arrizona gun runners. :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The FNAR is kinda ugly and I'll never get a license for it here, but it would be pretty cool to install it's magwell in the family Bar Light....
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the opertunity to shoot one @ a FNH demo. Fell in love with it instantly
Just picked mine up today! I took it to the range hootswill post pics soon!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, nice! I'd greatly appreciate if you would remove the mag well and post some pictures of how the receiver looks from the inside, as well as a note on how the magwell is atached.

Going to be nice to see if it's ugly-sexy as owners say or just ugly-ugly as FN makes it look.

What does the sliding, serrated button in front of the trigger guard do?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
There are a couple on gunbroker.

My dealer just got one in and I was checking it out.  I really like it.

It would be nice with an OPS Inc muzzle brake.

I think it would be better that any Stoner .308 and perhaps the Springfields.  It is just what I am looking for but I would have to shoot one before I would buy.

Perfect for optics and accurate from what I hear.  With .308 punch.

Not sure what action is.  Is it blow back?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a short-stroke piston.

(At least the browning BAR sporter is, and the FNAR's supposed to be really similar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#12]
They just had a blurb on it in the Shooting Wire:

Another Entry Into the Tactical/Black Rifle Game

Even as many in the firearms business worry about the potential for another assault on assault rifles following the elections less than two weeks away, there's yet another entry into the black rifle marketplace.

FNH USA has announced the availability of their new FNAR 7.62x51mm semiautomatic rifle. If looks something like a tuner-version of the venerable BAR, but there's probably some reason for that resemblance. FNH, after all, owns Browning - and the Browning Automatic Rifle carries a lot of mystique with law enforcement and military folks.

The new rifle has lots of features, a match-grade barrel (fluted), tactical stock system, and a steel detachable box magazine for either 10 or 20 rounds. It also comes with a one MOA - or better- accuracy specification, and carries the military standard 1913 accessory rail on top, with additional rails (three of 'em) mounted on the forestock. The rifle is offered in either light or heavy barrel (shown).

The FNAR features a manganese phosphate finish, hard chrome bore and chamber, recessed target rown and a match-grade barrel, along with a MSRP of $1734.38.

"We have engineered this gun for maximum out-of-the-box accuracy," says Barbara Sadowy Bailey, director of marketing for FNH USA. "The FNAR is built to the same exact specifications as our U.S. military and law enforcement products, and it is a great addition to our line of high precision long range rifles. The FNAR's accuracy is unsurpassed."

The ability to "reach out and touch" targets far beyond the capabilities of the 5.56 is one reason there's a rush to semiauto precision rifles. Photo courtesy FNH.

It is also engineered to step into a crowded marketplace. With both police and military officials realizing some jobs just take more than a 5.56/.223 caliber rifle- especially longer shots - it is to be expected that a non-bolt action FNH offering would be coming. Their main competition in the precision bolt gun marketplace, Remington, now has Bushmaster and DPMS expertise to call on in the marketplace. In addition to the Bushmaster and DPMS precision semi-autos, Remington's own R-series rifles will likely add competition to the marketplace as they broaden their caliber selections. In fact, the .30 Remington we tested last week may represent a dual-challenge to the 7.62 caliber- a short-fat round that delivers "like .308 results" out to 400 yards in a considerably smaller package.

The new FNAR, at nine pounds, is slightly heavier than the AR-type rifles, although the weight is consistent with the FAL assault rifle, one of the world's most popular pre-AR combat weapons.

What's the attraction of the semi-auto precision rifle? A common platform is one thought, and the ability to offer both precision and suppressive fire -effectively (meaning fatally) out to distances where the 5.56 simply can't do the job.

Between economic woes and political uncertainty, there's a lot of consternation in the civilian marketplace these days. But, as one industry figure wryly observed recently, there's still plenty of money in the law enforcement and military budgets. If you're not producing something in your lines that has a possible application in this marketplace, you're probably preparing for some serious belt-tightening.

That, unfortunately, isn't news.

We'll keep you posted.

--Jim Shepherd

Link Posted: 10/24/2008 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#13]
so this rifle will chamber 7.62mm NATO round? unlike the 308 bolt guns that don't much care to be feed military 7.62. not that 7.62mm is any good for accuracy but.....
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
On an older Gun Talk radio show, an FN rep told that other calibers would be able to be shot from this rifle with only a barrel change, nothing else. .243 and .338 were mentioned specifically.  I have not been able to confirm this anywhere, but it is why I am considering this vs a AR-15 based .308.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like a neat rifle but what are the prices for the magazines (20, 10, 5)? They look like a FN FNAR only design and that has the potential for being pricey.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]
FNH USA has announced the availability of their new FNAR 7.62x51mm semiautomatic rifle. If looks something like a tuner-version of the venerable BAR, but there's probably some reason for that resemblance. FNH, after all, owns Browning - and the Browning Automatic Rifle carries a lot of mystique with law enforcement and military folks.

No, the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle has carried a lot of mystique-the BAR hunting rifle is just another ho-hum autoloading deer rifle.  Once again an example of deceptive marketing...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:47:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle has carried a lot of mystique-the BAR hunting rifle is just another ho-hum autoloading deer rifle.  Once again an example of deceptive marketing...

Very deceptive indeed! The BAR hunting rifle is really nice though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It looks like a neat rifle but what are the prices for the magazines (20, 10, 5)? They look like a FN FNAR only design and that has the potential for being pricey.

I was thinking with CMMG offering AR-10 and DPMS type lower that use G3 mags why not design a mag block for the FNAR that takes G3 mags. It would just bolt right on.

You figure if there is a ban then FN will not have time to put out many FNAR mags.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Proprietary magazines or not?
5 rounders available?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Mags are going from $42-$50 for the 20 rounds mags.

There should be mags available end of December.

This is what I was told by the FN sales rep.

This rifle is very nice.  The ergonomics are excellent and the accuracy is excellent.

I have shot it out to 600+ yards and it shoots sub moa with my handloads.

The trigger is so sweet and really helps in keeping the groups together.

Compared to my M1A with a trigger job the FNAR is a tack driver.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mags are going from $42-$50 for the 20 rounds mags.

There should be mags available end of December.

This is what I was told by the FN sales rep.

This rifle is very nice.  The ergonomics are excellent and the accuracy is excellent.

I have shot it out to 600+ yards and it shoots sub moa with my handloads.

The trigger is so sweet and really helps in keeping the groups together.

Compared to my M1A with a trigger job the FNAR is a tack driver.

I've got a couple of questions for you:

How long is the receiver?
How long is the "magazine block"?
How wide is the "magazine block"?

It would be nice to see some pcs of it out in the wild...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top