Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2009 7:59:09 PM EDT
I was case prepping the last 50 out of 200 rounds of .223 I recently expended at an Appleseed shoot.

I reached for the box of primers and primed ten cases before I realized I had grabbed the small pistol primers instead of the small rifle primers.

At least I woke up before mis-priming most or all of them.

I gently deprimed those cases with a universal decapping die, then proceeded to prime the 50 cases with the CORRECT primers.

I looked at the SP primers I had popped out under a loupe and compared them to new, unseated SP primers. They looked exactly the same.

Are they OK to re-use? I figure the worst that could happen is that they might fail to go boom.

I just got 5,000 SP primers in the mail, so losing 10 primers is not the tragedy it would have been a few weeks ago.

Should I just pitch them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You can reuse decapped pistol primers in future pistol loads, like  you said, what's the worse that can happen? A dud.  Live and learn.  

Consider this a noneventful lesson in only keeping the components that you're using for the current loading session out at one time.  

Shooting pistol primed rifle reloads might result in pierced primers and therefore bolt face erosion.

Apply the same discipline to keeping just one type of primer out at a time to powder.   E.g., dont have your powder measure full of powder and a jug of

pistol powder and rifle powder out at the same time.   If you assume you have rifle powder in the measure and it's actually pistol powder, and you're cranking out

rifle rounds, well KABOOOOOM!

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had a re-seated primer fail to go bang.  I've de-capped hundreds of live primers over the years for various reasons.  No biggie.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was case prepping the last 50 out of 200 rounds of .223 I recently expended at an Appleseed shoot.

I reached for the box of primers and primed ten cases before I realized I had grabbed the small pistol primers instead of the small rifle primers.

At least I woke up before mis-priming most or all of them.

I gently deprimed those cases with a universal decapping die, then proceeded to prime the 50 cases with the CORRECT primers.

I looked at the SP primers I had popped out under a loupe and compared them to new, unseated SP primers. They looked exactly the same.

Are they OK to re-use? I figure the worst that could happen is that they might fail to go boom.

I just got 5,000 SP primers in the mail, so losing 10 primers is not the tragedy it would have been a few weeks ago.

Should I just pitch them?

I've reused a few decapped live primers without incident.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree...reuse 'em.  It's always worked for me.

The only real dumbass mistake is the one you make and don't catch.  I have a big sign over my bench that says, "Pay Attention,"  I for one need a  constant reminder (to keep me from being a dumbass). Dumbass's and reloading are dangerous companions...aren't you glad you aren't one.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
OK I have to admit I've made dumber mistakes.

I have a bunch of Wolf SP and Wolf SRM primers... I was reloading some 223  and low and behold I used 100 damn SP primers.  Doh' I just used it for plinking ammo, it worked fine.  

I did not notice until a week or two later I was wondering why I had 100 more SR primers than I thought I did, then sure enough the empty box in the garbage was for small pistol.

As dumb as the mistake was it was not dangerous or critical at least.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you caught the mistake.

I have used decapped primers many times with no problems.

The Key is to get them back in the correct box.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can reuse decapped pistol primers in future pistol loads, like  you said, what's the worse that can happen? A dud.  Live and learn.  

Consider this a noneventful lesson in only keeping the components that you're using for the current loading session out at one time.  

Shooting pistol primed rifle reloads might result in pierced primers and therefore bolt face erosion.

Apply the same discipline to keeping just one type of primer out at a time to powder.   E.g., dont have your powder measure full of powder and a jug of
pistol powder and rifle powder out at the same time.   If you assume you have rifle powder in the measure and it's actually pistol powder, and you're cranking out
rifle rounds, well KABOOOOOM!

This, BIGTIME.

Anything that's not appropriate for the round being loaded goes away, off the bench and back into storage.

I've never had a problem decapping live primers or reusing them.  Just use minimal force and common sense.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Have used small magnum pistol primers in .223 loads with great sucess for years.

Regular SPP will go bang, but you'll get some primer piercing and flow sometimes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top