Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 2:34:00 AM EDT
Recently I was approached by a friend who wants to trade me even for my Springfield M1A,National Match with a stainless barrel, two stage trigger, and national match sights. Also it has a Springfield 16x40x56 scope on it. Truly a nice weapon. He has a Springfield M1A that has been legaly converted to a machine gun and registered. It is in good condition. Is this a good trade? What is this thing worth. Help, I need some feedback.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all, there is a reason he wants to trade.

Secondly, can he prove that the rifle has been converted legaly...you'll be required to purchase your own tax stamp on this and do a trade through a Class 3 FFL holder!!!

Third, exactly what do you plan to do with such a rifle?  Very few guys were ever able to fully utilize the full auto capability to its fullest extent.  You have the more useful rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If that M14 or M1A is really a registered machine gun and works, make the trade.  You would be getting something worth at least $5000, probably closer to $7500.  Your rifle would not even compare, dollar wise that is.

If it is a registered machine gun, it will be on a form 4 or a form 3.  If it is on a form 4 and he is in your state, you can make the trade without a dealer.  You will both need to fill out a new form 4 and take care of the rest of the NFA requirements.  If that gun is not on a form 3 or form 4, run away very fast.  I would also suggest that you go shoot it first.  Even if you do not like the rifle in full-auto, you can give it to me .  Seriously, you can always get your money back (or more) from a registered machine gun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
geez think of the cost of ammo with that thing sounds like fun! Is it select fire where you can also shoot semi?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top