Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 3:52:25 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide what scope would be best for my new 22LR bolt.  It was a gift, a Savage Mark II FXP.

I don't what to spend a ton of money on a scope, just something good, around the 50 dollar mark.  I'm leaning towards the AO feature.  Is 3x12 too much?  What brand should I avoid?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Tasco 3-7x20 scope on my .22 bolt gun.  It fits all my needs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, thanks.  I've been looking around for something decent, but inexpensive.  I'm an iron sight person, so my knowledge is a little flawed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You will laugh, but if you can find a 6X Tasco, they have worked very well for me on .22s.  In fact, I replaced my Tasco with a Simmons Whitetail Classic in 4.5-14X a while back, and I have been having problems getting it to zero.  I picked it up at a pawn shop, and now I'm thinking it may have some problems.  I'm almost ready to go back to my Tasco; I never had a bit of trouble, the optics were pretty clear, and the zero never moved.  Maybe even a Weaver fixed power would work for you well also, although it would be pushing the $50 mark. I may finally decide that I need to spend more than the rifle, and put something decent on it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Remington model 597 semi-auto in .22 mag with a nice Tasco 3-9.  Works great, taken my fair share of squirrels with it.  I found that 6 power is usually the best, it offers good scanning, also enough zoom to see the animal, and is the highest that I would go to take a moving shot at a moving squirrel.

Tasco Pronghorn
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#6]
make sure to get good mounts, most .22 scope mounts are total sheit
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Simmons makes great scopes for a .22 at around $100 each.  No need to spend 3 times as much on a Leupold since there isnt enough recoil to damage them.  The 44 mag and the White Tail classic scopes are Very clear and have held up to several years of use.  I used a leupold base and ring combo (the one that is windage adjustable and has the ring you have to twist into place)  Was probably about $20 or so for the combo a few years back and I couldnt be happier.  I used a lapping bar to make sure the rings were aligned and then lapped them so the scope sits better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
www.Natchezss.com  supply has a Simmons 6-24x50 on right now for 64 BUCKS!!! I just bought a 8X32x44 for 69 bucks...new scopes...not refurbished....those prices are hard to beat....I'm going to stick mine on a 22...hehehe
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#9]
on my savage MKII, i have a simmons prohunter 4-12x40 A.O.   it works great.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.  I ended up with a Simmons 4-12x40 A.O. as well Corpis.  Question, do/did you have any problems with the mags feeding on this rifle?  The spring or follower seems to stick, thus the rounds don't "push" upward to feed.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]
go over to rimfirecentral.com and look in the for sale threads. I've bought three used scopes over there for about 1/2 the cost of a new one. All three have worked great, and were better than advertised...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top