Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 7:08:51 AM EDT
While clearing out my father-in-laws home recently I found his dad's shotgun.  First thought is was an Ithaca Model 37 but it is a Remington pump action with both feed\eject.  Pre 870.  Gun is in great shape from the 1920's\1930's.  What do I have??  Thanks for the help.  Is there a Remington Board someplace??
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably a Remington Model 17. The reason it looks like an Ithaca Model 37 is because that's basically what it is. The shotgun was a John Browning design, dating from about 1915, that Remington produced as the Model 17 until selling the patent rights to Ithaca in the mid thirties. Ithaca introduced it, virtually unchanged, as their Model 37. I seem to recall that most, but not all, of the parts will interchange.

I'm sure there are some Remington boards around, but I don't really know of any offhand.

HTH; Doug

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Probably a Remington Model 17. The reason it looks like an Ithaca Model 37 is because that's basically what it is. The shotgun was a John Browning design, dating from about 1915, that Remington produced as the Model 17 until selling the patent rights to Ithaca in the mid thirties. Ithaca introduced it, virtually unchanged, as their Model 37. I seem to recall that most, but not all, of the parts will interchange.

Noooooo. The Model 17 was made in 20 gauge only and he didn't indicate the gauge. These guns came from the Irwin Pedersen-designed Model 1908 Remington, which evolved into the John Browning-improved Model 1910 Remington, which was made in 12 gauge only. The 20 gauge version was later brought out as the Model 1917. These were later discontinued in favor of the Model 29 Remington which is actually closer in design to the Ithaca Model 37 (stamped shell carrier with "fingers"). Remington discontinued all of these designs in favor of their very own design, the Model 31 (a super slick pumpgun). Ithaca had been known as a maker of high grade doubles, but had little market during the depression and went looking for something else to make. They acquired the expired Pedersen/Browning patents, had an engineer simplify things for ease of manufacture (the Remington Models 1908/10/17/29 make use of complicated machinings) to include more stamped parts, and the Model 37 Ithaca was born. NO PARTS WILL INTERCHANGE BETWEEN THE ITHACA AND ITS EARLIER COUSINS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top