Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 6:30:40 PM EDT
I was watching Ice Station Zebra the other night and saw Jim Brown running around with a shiny new M16.  Got me thinking about what the first theatrical look of the AR family was.  Turns out both Ice Station Zebra and The Green Berets were out in 1968.  There must of been a Bondian spy flick or something with the AR out before that...

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always thought it was the Green Berets.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question. I would think there would be at least one movie with a M16 in it before '68, but I can't think of one. How could one reference that?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
i have to go with "the green berets", but this is something that would be near impossible to discover.
hey, let's submit it to that "beat the geeks " show on comedy central.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Easy Question
"7 Days in May"
If you watch the old lazer disc version, It even mentions in the directors commentary how the Director used the New "Air Force" issued
AR-15 rifle because of its futuristic look.

Check out the scene of the Top Secret base in the desert, you can clearly see very early AR-15 rifles everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Ever notice that distinctive sound Hollywood always used on the '16/AR early on?  Sort of a "KA-whoomp!", for lack of a better description.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember seeing M16 rifles in "Seven Days in May" which was made in 1964.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool, Seven Days in May, that's the coup movie with Burt Lancaster, right?  I haven't seen that one for years!  Way to go, AR-15'ers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top