Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/17/2010 5:49:35 AM EDT
I really like the Aug platform but I have been doing some thinking on what I think the next generation Aug style bull pup should be like. I am hoping that some industry guru might even read the forum and bring some of our ideas to pass.
What would you like out of a new generation Aug based bull pup ? and what would you change about your Aug style rifle ?
Things I would like to see ( not in order of importance)
1) Mag release that can be operated by the shooting hand without changing your hold on the grip.
2) Better trigger, look at the Desert Tactical bolt action. A great trigger is a must. "Drop in" trigger packs set up for tactical, target and sniping.
3) Forward rails. Give us a quad rail forearm like an AR. and available in different lengths.
4) AR mags- needs to use cheap mags that are already available. And they need to drop free when the mag release is hit.
5) quick change barrel. Something that was done right the first time and needs to be kept.
6) Flat top receiver. I like the current offerings by MSAR and we can keep those.
7) Caliber conversions. This was a great idea and should be kept for the new Generation Rifle
8) gas settings that are marked in a way you don't need to pull out the manual to set it right
9) L1A1 style folding charging handle I am not a big fan of the current charging handle and don't like lifting it into the notch to hold the bolt open. I know that some people did not like the AR style bolt hold open, so there has to be a way to incorporate a bolt hold open that does not need a notch for the charging handle or a button that scrapes your chin. A folding handle could also be made longer for more leverage.
10) Keep it light and well balanced just like the original.
11) thread the barrel to take AR flash suppressors. I know I keep saying make it take AR accessories, but they are readily available and already in production
12) Test these babies before they come out of the factory. Even if a company has great customer service to handle issues there is no reason to ship out a bunch of guns with problems. Lets use Larue as the target goal for quality.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:01:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2010 6:02:04 AM EDT by HardShell]
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:28:10 AM EDT
you don't ask for much do you?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:31:51 AM EDT
The only thing I can think to add is ambidextrous/left hand controls. I like the fact that on my E4 I can put a lefty bolt in it or the RFB that ejects out the front.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2010 6:47:33 AM EDT by poopile]
A NATO stock on an AUG or AXR addresses a few of those problems:

1. It has a side mag release. It's set up on the left side, so not useable with your firing hand but makes alot more sense than the standard release.
2. Allows you to run AR mags.
3. Allows them to be drop-free (not a huge deal, most people retain their mags anyway)

I don't understand the fascination with rails on the front of an AUG style rifle. If we continue to attach stuff forward of the center of balance, we completely ruin the handling which is the strong point of the design. All you should need is a light. You don't need 4 rails to pull that off.

The gas system is easy. The regulator should be horizontal 99.9% of the time. I agree that a setting for suppressor use would be very nice.

My AXR's barrel is threaded 1/2x28. Every US made AUG style rifle should be that way already. MSAR almost got it right.

My AXR ran like a striped ass ape from day one no matter what I fed it. I guess a few hundred more dollars gets you proper quality control before the rifle gets to your hands. And I'm not trying to stir up the MSAR owners, just speaking the truth. Sadly, there will be no more AXR's built.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:48:48 AM EDT
I like a full rail and it doesn't ruin the balance it just shifts it, but it's still not as front heavy as a traditional rifle.

The best way to do a barrel change in my opinion would be to do it like the new ARX-160.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:50:00 AM EDT
As far as being ambidextrous, why can't a designer come up with something that allows us to change direction of brass ejection without a bolt swap? Beretta makes a carbine that does that, if I'm not mistaken, maybe someone can refresh my memory.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:50:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2010 6:52:18 AM EDT by Onslaught]
I agree with most of those, especially the suppressor specific gas setting, but NO rails for me thanks... I hope those stay optional, or at the very least, slim profile / close enough to the barrel that rail covers make them feel like a normal forend. (More like LaRue, less like Yankee Hill)

What I would like though is more forearm so I can grip the rifle my way, which includes my right thumb (I'm left handed) over the top of the weapon.

So yeah, pretty much the Tavor type setup works for me in that aspect.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:05:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:05:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HardShell:

Originally Posted By joedirt1977:
As far as being ambidextrous, why can't a designer come up with something that allows us to change direction of brass ejection without a bolt swap? Beretta makes a carbine that does that, if I'm not mistaken, maybe someone can refresh my memory.

You are correct –– the Storm carbine has reversible ejection, as well as charging handle and mag-release. Very lefty-friendly little carbine.

Any idea how in the heck they do that, Hardshell?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:12:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2010 7:21:38 AM EDT by HardShell]
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:43:42 AM EDT
Forward or bottom ejection so you can shoot wrong-sided without having to swap parts around or attach a shell deflector.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:50:57 AM EDT
I really like some of the features of the Polish bull pup. Ambi Safety, Mag Release up front.

Gas settings for a suppressor is way overdue .

I like rails. Go handle a Desert Tactical. Doesn't ruin the balance. Nice to be able to mount a Fug or bipod where ever you want.

Trigger - why is it taking so long to get a good trigger on a bull pup? An AUG trigger is poor because it was designed around a heavy pull for the full auto. No full auto selector - just pull the trigger way back and it's full auto. Whole trigger needs to be redesigned Dump the current trigger entirely and start over. Give us a good crisp trigger with options like AR's have.

New Generation needs to build on what makes us like the AUG. Keep the light weight and rear half of the stock. I wanted a FS2000 until I handled one. What was the stock designer thinking ?

I figure if someone will build this thing AR's will become 2nd choice for most shooters.
The AUG platform just needs some tweaks to bring it up to date. AR's went through a lot of revisions to get them where they are.
We need to as least get rid of the common complaints that come up over and over with the AUG.

ANY INDUSTRY GUYS LISTENING ???
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:52:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:
Forward or bottom ejection so you can shoot wrong-sided without having to swap parts around or attach a shell deflector.

While I like the concept of forward/bottom ejection, in reality I have two left feet. You can figure out what happens next

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:54:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2010 7:57:13 AM EDT by joedirt1977]

Any idea how in the heck they do that, Hardshell?

The ejection? There is already a port on both sides and a little (optional) plastic cover over the one you aren't using. When you reverse the bolt you can move the cover to the opposite side.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Rifles/CX4-bothports.gif

The charging handle has a receiver hole on both sides, so you can just move it from one side to the other. (Or do like I did and buy a second one and run one on both sides –– I can charge from either side with either hand. )

The mag release reverses like it does in many pistols. I'm right-handed, but I have my mag-release reversed. I discovered early on that I had to radically change my grip and come off-shoulder/off-target to reach the release with my thumb due to the t-hole stock. With it reversed, I can eject the mag with my trigger finger (just like I would on an AR) and do a reload without any change in my grip or stance.

Hardshell, I was referring to another Beretta, it only takes a button press to switch the ejection, you don't have to touch the bolt. Dang it, now I'm gonna have to find pics...I'll be back!

ETA: Here it is. Actually mention by the OP, sorry don't know how to hot link, so cut and paste it is: http://world.guns.ru/assault/as90-e.htm
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:01:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:16:26 AM EDT
Ok, now we know it can be done without manipulating the bolt––who's gonna try? Sven?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:53:56 AM EDT
Ok, now we know it can be done without manipulating the bolt––who's gonna try? Sven?

LOL, don't worry, the industry is listening. All sorts of neat things coming, it just takes time.

Sven
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:01:58 AM EDT
If we're creating wish lists...

Practical:

Easy reverse ejection with no extra parts required
Built in brass deflector
Repositioned gas system that doesn't vent gas to the side so that you don't need to worry about grip as much
Magazine release near where the trigger finger would rest on the stock
Bolt release in a similar location
Better quick release barrel system for longer accurate barrels

Ideal:

Integrated power system with a replaceable battery pack in the stock that powers any attached electronic devices
Electric ignition similar to Remington's EtronX primed system
Ambidextrous charging handle
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 10:16:04 AM EDT
I like some of the features my PS90 has. Ambi safety, ambi charging handle, bottom eject, easy field stripping..
Just don't see how to get a .223, 6.8, or 7.62x39 with ar mags to bottom eject. Would be real nice. I like catching all my brass in the baggy.

I'll 2cd the need for barrel attachment system that will mount the barrel more solidly to the receiver and handle bull barrels.
Move the gas selector on top instead of the side would be a plus, have felt hot gas out of mine before and I shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:48:56 PM EDT
Free floating barrel or a target version?
Caliber conversions!!!! MSAR ARE YOU LISTENING?!??!! I'm going to switch to an RFB if these don't come out soon.
Adjustable trigger
Integrated TRI-rail

Other than that, LOVE my STG!
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:54:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dawg180:

LOL, don't worry, the industry is listening. All sorts of neat things coming, it just takes time.

Sven

And money.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:17:10 PM EDT

Hardshell, I was referring to another Beretta, it only takes a button press to switch the ejection, you don't have to touch the bolt. Dang it, now I'm gonna have to find pics...I'll be back!

ETA: Here it is. Actually mention by the OP, sorry don't know how to hot link, so cut and paste it is: http://world.guns.ru/assault/as90-e.htm

My bad, I misunderstood –– that one does look interesting.

I read an article on the ARX160 a while back. The cocking handle does switch L/R, but a bullet tip is needed to depress a button on the bolt to switch the direction the brass get tossed. The same article ended by stating that Beretta was planning a commercial semiauto variant for the US market.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:42:04 PM EDT
easy: use ar mags, bolts, barrels. Have it able to switch for lefties ala stag bolts. Atleast make it able to use easily modified ar barrel for quick change ala mwg. rail mount for optics, light, foregrip, flush cup swivels. If it can keep the aug look, great. If not, we're all open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:49:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By aolspartsman:
I really like the Aug platform but I have been doing some thinking on what I think the next generation Aug style bull pup should be like. I am hoping that some industry guru might even read the forum and bring some of our ideas to pass.
What would you like out of a new generation Aug based bull pup ? and what would you change about your Aug style rifle ?
1) Mag release that can be operated by the shooting hand without changing your hold on the grip. There is nothing wrong with the current mag release. Even metal mags expand and need to be man-handled to be taken out. By the time you realize the metal mag is stuck you could have already changed it by using the current set-up/technique
2) Better trigger, look at the Desert Tactical bolt action. A great trigger is a must. "Drop in" trigger packs set up for tactical, target and sniping. Why the hell are you comparing a BOLT ACTION RIFLE to a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE??? There's nothing wrong with the current trigger.
3) Forward rails. Give us a quad rail forearm like an AR. and available in different lengths.
4) AR mags- needs to use cheap mags that are already available. And they need to drop free when the mag release is hit. Really? Cheap mags Cheap means low quality and have a propensity to foul up in the worst possible moment. I'll stick with my STG mags
5) quick change barrel. Something that was done right the first time and needs to be kept.
6) Flat top receiver. I like the current offerings by MSAR and we can keep those.
7) Caliber conversions. This was a great idea and should be kept for the new Generation Rifle.
8) gas settings that are marked in a way you don't need to pull out the manual to set it right
9) L1A1 style folding charging handle I am not a big fan of the current charging handle and don't like lifting it into the notch to hold the bolt open. I know that some people did not like the AR style bolt hold open, so there has to be a way to incorporate a bolt hold open that does not need a notch for the charging handle or a button that scrapes your chin. A folding handle could also be made longer for more leverage.
11) thread the barrel to take AR flash suppressors. I know I keep saying make it take AR accessories, but they are readily available and already in production.
12) Test these babies before they come out of the factory. Even if a company has great customer service to handle issues there is no reason to ship out a bunch of guns with problems. Lets use Larue as the target goal for quality.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:28:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By poopile:

1. It has a side mag release. It's set up on the left side, so not useable with your firing hand but makes alot more sense than the standard release..

You're confusing a Steyr-spec NATO stock with Kent's modified Steyr-spec NATO stock. The side mag release is a custom part by Kent made for the AXR. The Steyr part is flush with the surface and not at all easy to use as a mag release.

But that being said, it is VERY handy and I never use the rear mag release. I practice mag changes every once in a while and I'm pretty quick with that thing. This is the one thing that keeps me from getting an E4 stock to put on the AXR! You listening MSAR?

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:53:44 AM EDT
I wish Magpul would go ahead and build their .223 bullpup. I'll be first in line if that happens.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:56:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vanvideo:
I wish Magpul would go ahead and build their .223 bullpup. I'll be first in line if that happens.

No thanks. Magpul lost my loyalty and interest with the Masada/ACR debacle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:21:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Spart:
Originally Posted By poopile:

1. It has a side mag release. It's set up on the left side, so not useable with your firing hand but makes alot more sense than the standard release..

You're confusing a Steyr-spec NATO stock with Kent's modified Steyr-spec NATO stock. The side mag release is a custom part by Kent made for the AXR. The Steyr part is flush with the surface and not at all easy to use as a mag release.

But that being said, it is VERY handy and I never use the rear mag release. I practice mag changes every once in a while and I'm pretty quick with that thing. This is the one thing that keeps me from getting an E4 stock to put on the AXR! You listening MSAR?

Thanks for that info. I had never noticed there was a difference. I looked more closely at a picture of the stock and it looks like you could drill & tap the button and use something like a 1911 oversize mag release button to make it right. I had considered ordering an extra stock from CDNN and I would have been a little disappointed when it got here....
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:03:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:

Sven

And money.

Yes, yes it does- buy more Raptors and Brass Busters!
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:08:07 AM EDT

Sven

And money.

Shameless!
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 7:12:38 AM EDT

Sven

And money.

Shameless!

LOL

There is plenty of cool stuff on the drawing boards, For every product that makes it to market there are 3-4 that are just waiting for the right time. Believe me, all of this started when I had some ideas for what I wanted in a rifle, and right now it is just waiting for the firearms market to pick up a bit from the slump it is in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:29:20 AM EDT
I just remembered one more big "nice to have" for me...

Whatever the next gen bullpup turns out to be, NO crossbolt safety!

45 degree Thumb lever, M14 style, FS2000 style, don't care, I just don't like the crossbolt safety.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:32:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Onslaught:

45 degree Thumb lever, M14 style, FS2000 style, don't care, I just don't like the crossbolt safety.

Why don't you like the cross bolt? I personally find it to be one of the most ambi-friendly safeties out there...
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:05:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:
1) Mag release that can be operated by the shooting hand without changing your hold on the grip. There is nothing wrong with the current mag release. Even metal mags expand and need to be man-handled to be taken out. By the time you realize the metal mag is stuck you could have already changed it by using the current set-up/technique I agree that chaging mags is not a big deal after you practice it for awhile. This is not a deal breaker - just one of the things that would make a bull pup better .
2) Better trigger, look at the Desert Tactical bolt action. A great trigger is a must. "Drop in" trigger packs set up for tactical, target and sniping. Why the hell are you comparing a BOLT ACTION RIFLE to a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE??? There's nothing wrong with the current trigger. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone defend the current trigger. AR-15's suffered along for years with crappy triggers. Now look at all the good aftermarket triggers. Biggest complaint you hear about bull pups and especially the AUG is the trigger. Why use Desert Tactical as an example - it is a bull pup that has a great trigger ! Yes it is a bolt gun, but I have Geisselle triggers in two AR's so I can have a good trigger in a semi auto. For bull pups to proliferate and take over the AR market they are going to need a good trigger.
4) AR mags- needs to use cheap mags that are already available. And they need to drop free when the mag release is hit. Really? Cheap mags Cheap means low quality and have a propensity to foul up in the worst possible moment. I'll stick with my STG mags Milspec AR-15 mags are unreliable because they are cheap and can be bought everywhere?
7) Caliber conversions. This was a great idea and should be kept for the new Generation Rifle.
11) thread the barrel to take AR flash suppressors. I know I keep saying make it take AR accessories, but they are readily available and already in production.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:44:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2010 11:53:01 AM EDT by Onslaught]
Originally Posted By Onslaught:

Why don't you like the cross bolt? I personally find it to be one of the most ambi-friendly safeties out there...

Three reasons - all are due to being left handed.
With a magazine in the weapon, I have to adjust my grip, including taking my trigger finger off the trigger guard to move the safety fully to the "fire" position using my thumb in some firing positions. Hard to describe really... but I have to rotate my wrist inward for my thumb to have leverage in that direction which takes my trigger finger away from the trigger mechanism. With my ARs, I am going TO the trigger with my finger WHILE I am moving the lever to "fire" with my thumb.

I have accidentally put the weapon on safe when practicing mag changes. It's a combination of a high grip and rolling the weapon slightly outward.

A high grip results in the corner of the squared cross-bolt digging into my trigger finger. It's kinda like getting a tattoo... it doesn't hurt to begin with, but after a while it gets annoying.

If the safety were reversible, then all three of my "issues" would go away.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 12:44:58 PM EDT
I think a lot of people would like a rifle that is completely ambidextrous.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 12:49:40 PM EDT

I would agree, and I think that is the standard for a modern assault rifle.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 2:42:17 PM EDT

The PS90, FS2000 and the RFB already are.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:13:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanvideo:

The PS90, FS2000 and the RFB already are.

The FS2000 isn't completely ambi, because you can't move the charging handle from the left to the right side.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:03:43 PM EDT
I like my PS90. It has lot going for it but since it is blow back operated 45 acp is the practical limit. (see the history of the Thompson machine gun)
I am surprised that there has not been a PS90 style rifle in 45acp or 9mm. Years ago I visited the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston and they had some 9mm machine gun prototypes that used a magazine like what the PS90 now has. If I remember right it was designed to be used on Bi planes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:13:09 PM EDT
I think the RFB has set the tone for the kind of thinking that needs to go into the next gen. I hope the other players in the bullpup arena follow suit. Lots of new ground to be had. Just like the RFB is hot for being the next gen 7.62NATO, whoever breaks ground in the 6.8 arena has a big payday coming.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:18:03 PM EDT
Rumor has it...that Desert Tactical may be working on a semi auto. So if that pans out....that would be most interesting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:55:42 AM EDT
If Desert Tactical builds it it would address everything I want out of a "modern" bullpup.
If they make a 30 round magazine that hold the case by the neck and protects the bullet tips I would even
rescind the request for a non proprietary magazine.
I wonder if it will use the same barrel changing system ?
Even if it was as expensive as the bolt gun it would probably sell in limited numbers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:22:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 10:25:30 AM EDT by snaggletooth1925]
It seems like all the ideas for the perfect bullpup are out there just no one has put them all together. Id like:
Bottom or forward eject or reversible LH/RH eject without part swapping
PS90 type safety
Ambi mag release(would be nice if you could drop a mag like with a AR
Quick change barrel able to use standard muzzle devices
Longer top rail for BUIS and Optic
Forward assist either using the charging handle or in m4 style
Make it as small as possible and meet the OAL requirement with barrel
If there have to be extra empty space in the stock give us something to fill it with that wont rattle(spare parts or cleaning kit)
Not a fan of to many rails. I will be removing all the rails I dont need from my E4 and installing thread protecters.

How hard would it be to redesign the trigger pack to take AR parts?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:56:15 AM EDT
How about a prototype AR-15 or FAMAS style charging handle with a carry handle covering it?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:45:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By snaggletooth1925:

Quick change barrel able to use standard muzzle devices

The only need I see for a removable barrel is to facilitate cleaning, storage, or perhaps swapping calibers or barrel length...none of which IMO need to be "quick change" because I doubt anyone is going to be taking fire and deciding to swap barrels. Perhaps "easy change" barrels would be better. If I have to remove the receiver to remove the barrel, that's cool; just so the barrel is removable. Ever since I had my MRP and now the E4, a removable barrel has really spoiled me when it comes to cleaning time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:25:56 PM EDT
PS90 and FS2000 not new enough for ya?

I would like to see a PS90 scaled up for .223. The top loading magazine has a lot going for it when it comes to concealability and portability.
Top Top