Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2006 5:09:20 AM EDT
On another site someone said it was illegal to conceal an NFA gun.  Then someone replied that it depended on the state and if you had a CCW permit.

This was my question to the original comment and no one's answered it after a week or so:

Hmmmm....didn't know that. Just what constitutes concealment?

The reason I ask is I was planning to get a "discreet" rifle case (the rectangular ones) for a range bag for my 27"ish collapsed SBR. The case I found is roughly that size.

If, say I go into a restaurant, after or before going to the range (or go shooting a few hours drive in the mountains)........I didn't want to leave an NFA gun in my vehicle (aren't I at least somewhat legally responsible if someone steals it and commits a crime?). I figured I could just put it in the discreet bag and bring it in. It would just look like a big laptop bag or something.

Is this not legal? What if I get a bag that looks like a rifle case? Is that acceptable? I know in AZ that having a pistol in a holster in plain veiw is legal. I'm pretty sure a rifle in a case is the same way......what I don't know is if it's in a "discreet" case if it's legal. How would I find out?

If I had it in the discreet bag with no ammunition and no mags but with my copy of the form 1 (of course), would that be legal?

I was going with a discreet case mainly so I didn't freak people out, since they really wouldn't know what was in the bag. Am I worrying too much about this??....normally with a non-NFA gun, I'd just leave it in the truck, locked up, and try and sit where I can see the vehicle (not always possible).

Sorry for the newb question, but this is my first SBR.

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always assumed that "concealed" meant concealed on the body. Otherwise, carrying a pistol to and from the range in a pistol case would be carrying concealed.

There is no criminal penalty for having a stolen NFA firearm used in a crime, though ATF regs require you to notify them of any stolen NFA (this requirement is not supported by statute).

Frankly, I'd leave it locked in the car, but I live in a relatively low-crime area.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
On another site someone said it was illegal to conceal an NFA gun.

Not from a Federal standpoint. I do not know of any state law thrat treats NFA firearms differently then title I guns and far as concealed weapons goes. I would say whatever counts as concealed for a regular gun counts the same for an NFA gun.

BTW
Some NFA firearms are concealed by definition (AOW gadget guns, cane guns, wallet guns, etc..).
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The answer will depend on which state you are in and whether you have a CCW permit or not.  Since you are in Arizona, please scroll down to Chapter 31 and start reading...

www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the answers gentlemen.

Sean
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
In NC the CC permit only applies to a handgun.... not a rifle.

in NC... if you lock your handgun in the glovebox (without the key in the glovebox) or locked in a case, then that is not concealed

as for a rifle... i am not sure if you can even carry ammo in the case locked or not.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
In Texas, it is legal to conceal and carry an MG / SBR / SBS / suppressor, with or without a CHL.    I wouldn't carry an AOW without a CHL though, because it might be considered a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
legal in ND to carry an NFA weapons with a CWP.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
the new NE law specifically bans CCW  anything other than a firearm designed to be used with one hand that fires one single  shot with each pull of the trigger

So Im guessing you could CCW a suppressor but not a  MG SBS SBR and some AOWs

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the new NE law specifically bans CCW  anything other than a firearm designed to be used with one hand that fires one single  shot with each pull of the trigger

So Im guessing you could CCW a suppressor but not a  MG SBS SBR and some AOWs

Sorry, what does "NE" stand for?  

Sean
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
NE = Nebraska.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
DID HE REALLY ASK THAT?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I really asked that.  Sorry, complete brain fart on my part.  You do have to admit this site has all kinds of abbreviations for stuff and all my tiny brain could come up with for NE was New England, but then it wouldn't have a law regulating a group of states, so I screwed the proverbial pooch.  

My apologies.

Sean
Link Posted: 8/27/2006 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
And in Florida there is a specific prohibition on carrying a MG on one's CCW license.   Tho it would'nt forbit transport to a shooting range etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top