Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2007 6:48:37 AM EDT
Ok, I'm getting set up to some metal refinishing (Parkerizing) but, I'm on a budget. I was wondering what kind of air compressor are you guys useing. Sears, Harbor frieght, etc... How big, cfm rating, etc... And finally, the price. I know bigger is better, but what can I get by with?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are just going to use an air brush, then a small pancake will do fine. If you are going to do media blasting, a single stage 60 gal is OK but 80 is better. Check Craigs list for used ones. Also, the traditional oil bath is better than oil-less. Good luck!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
So how much are one of those going to run me?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Nobody has compressors? (for media blasting)
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#4]
lI feel that a compressors SCFM rating is more important than tank size, although  a big tank is desireable. Usually more HP = more SCFM. Blasting uses a lot of air and recovery time and the ability to supply a steady volume/ pressure is important. When your pressure and volume drop, you want it to recover quickly or you will spend a lot of time standing around.  I think SCFM is a measure of the volume of air a compressor can maintain at a given pressure. I recently saw  a flyer from Harbor Freight that was advertising a single stage compressor with a rating of around 10 scfm at 80 psi for around $400. I also saw a similar one at Lowes. You could also look for a used one which is how I got my present one. It's an IR two stage with 80 gal tank.  My first compressor was a Sears 1hp with about a 12 gal tank. It's max pressure was 90 psi. With my blasting set up, it would use up the initial air in about 5 seconds and steadily drop all the while it was running. It would drop to around 40 psi and hold steady. It took a long time to blast a barreled receiver. It was frustrating, but it did do the job done. With this kind of use, I don't think it would have lasted very long. Also match your blast gun nozzle size to your compressor output. Smaller = less air useage. Also get an oil lubricated compressor as opposed to an oil less which is very noisy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top