Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2018 6:46:36 PM EDT
I have owned (2) A3 AUGs. Fantastic rifles but I regrettably sold both of them to fuel my clone quest. Now, I have the urge to add another AUG and while I like the more modern AUG offerings and such, something is just calling me about a standard pre ban AUG. I'd like to grab one and just put it in the safe for a keepsake. So, I can see a bunch of pre ban AUGs on GB but I know nothing about them.

What should I be looking for? What price should I expect to pay for a reasonably kept example? I am super fastidious when it comes to parts and pieces and manuals and tools. I like factory and I like all the shit it came with. What should I make sure it has?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Well.... Guess I'll take a stab at one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I bookmarked this thread days ago hoping someone would answer you since I too have an interest in finding a pre-ban AUG. I guess they aren't all that common. I think I have only seen maybe 3 pre-ban AUGs in person and the last of those was maybe 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What should I be looking for? What price should I expect to pay for a reasonably kept example? I am super fastidious when it comes to parts and pieces and manuals and tools. I like factory and I like all the shit it came with. What should I make sure it has?
View Quote
There's 5 types of preban AUG's.
Early green 20"
Late green 20"
Black 16"
Special Receiver
A2 Conversions

The last three will cost the most, with A2's and SR's being rare and really expensive.

The green 20" A1's are a classic example of the AUG, and are what I would recommend. Honestly between early and late versions of the 20" guns, either will treat you well. There is a tendency for buyers to seek out the later 20" guns, but I really appreciate the original open flash hiders look on the early guns.

For a reasonably kept green 20" example, I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for one that I really want. If you take your time to search, you can buy for much less than $2500 as a shooter.

Now if you're looking for an AUG with the original box, test target, manual, scope adjustment tool, sling, cleaning kit, and cover, a nice example will probably push you toward $3000.

One thing to know is that everything but the original box can be found for sale today. I personally wouldn't worry too much about accessories as you can buy them apart from the gun. What I would look at is overall condition and matching serial numbers.

Best of luck in finding what you want.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as observations you can make, check out the charging handle area for wear on the receiver. It doesn’t take too much for the black finish to rub down to bare metal after so many cycles. You can reasonably make the assumption that more finish wear in that area = heavier usage, and vice versa with less wear = fewer times the AUG has been cycled.

(You can see an example on Hickok45’s AUG YouTube video around 1:30 showing a wear pattern on the receiver)

Same concept for the stock near the ejection port where spent cases can mar the stock body if it’s uncovered. More marring = more cases that have been shot through it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's 5 types of preban AUG's.
Early green 20"
Late green 20"
Black 16"
Special Receiver
A2 Conversions

The last three will cost the most, with A2's and SR's being rare and really expensive.

The green 20" A1's are a classic example of the AUG, and are what I would recommend. Honestly between early and late versions of the 20" guns, either will treat you well. There is a tendency for buyers to seek out the later 20" guns, but I really appreciate the original open flash hiders look on the early guns.

For a reasonably kept green 20" example, I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for one that I really want. If you take your time to search, you can buy for much less than $2500 as a shooter.

Now if you're looking for an AUG with the original box, test target, manual, scope adjustment tool, sling, cleaning kit, and cover, a nice example will probably push you toward $3000.

One thing to know is that everything but the original box can be found for sale today. I personally wouldn't worry too much about accessories as you can buy them apart from the gun. What I would look at is overall condition and matching serial numbers.

Best of luck in finding what you want.
View Quote
You sound pretty well informed.  I am curious what is a 16" black Aug with about 200 rounds of Swiss ammo down the pipe and box etc worth today?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You sound pretty well informed.  I am curious what is a 16" black Aug with about 200 rounds of Swiss ammo down the pipe and box etc worth today?
View Quote
Assuming it's an authentic numbers matching black 16" with the original box and stuff, then I would say 3000-3500 will sell reasonably quick.

Anything over 3500 for an AUG and you're going to have to have the right buyer who is looking for what you have. With nice authentic A2's in the 4k range, an AUG P (16" black) isn't too appealing (at least to me).
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Assuming it's an authentic numbers matching black 16" with the original box and stuff, then I would say 3000-3500 will sell reasonably quick.

Anything over 3500 for an AUG and you're going to have to have the right buyer who is looking for what you have. With nice authentic A2's in the 4k range, an AUG P (16" black) isn't too appealing (at least to me).
View Quote
Thanks.  I assume it is authentic.  It was NIB when I purchased it 15 years ago.  I find it OK to shoot and as a rugged rifle with built in optic a decent  choice.  I guess it always takes the right buyer but I am happy the recent versions haven't gutted the value of this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I am looking for the generic green 20" version. What I, in my mind, thought a pre ban AUG was. Sounds like I shouldn't pay over $2500 for one. GB is littered with $2999 ballpark. I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a LGS that may still have a pre-ban AUG.
I'm fairly sure he still had it before I moved last year.
IM me if you want contact info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top