Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew someone capable of TIG welding an small weld on my MP5 Clone that I managed to cut to deep.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to go to a local welding shop that does TIG welding.  Show them what you have and what you want done.  Be aware, the area will need to be cleaned and have the finish removed. I don't know where the spot is but there might be a finish issue to deal with after the fix.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I was told my a buddy (huge HK fan) that this guy has done extensive work on multiple weapons for him.  I've seen the guns and they are nicely done.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello,

Yes I am looking for someone local but willing to outsource it if need be.

I managed to just cut it enough. I was planning on just getting claw mount to work properly and then send it away to get refinished but now I have to get the hole corrected and refinished regardless.

yes yes I know, noob mistake I get it but I understood what could happen and it did.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
After looking at the picture, I would highly suggest getting a good smith involved with this fix.  It would be very easy to burn though.  There is also the issue of heat shrinkage wrapping the receiver.  A smith that specializes in fixing SW claw mounts would be best.  I think Joe at Dakota Tactical does this work.  Personally I would have added a PTR steel rail to the top of the receiver.  I bet that would be a better option, but that is my personal opinion.  YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
You may not like this idea and some others as well...... but if you have steady hands try using jb weld. I actually used jb weld on one of CA89/Mp5k clones and you cant tell where I did it and it has now had thousands of rounds through it, no issues what so ever.

Just a thought, just a cheap and easy possible fix before ya end up having it welded and causing more possible damage.......... Good Luck either way
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may not like this idea and some others as well...... but if you have steady hands try using jb weld. I actually used jb weld on one of CA89/Mp5k clones and you cant tell where I did it and it has now had thousands of rounds through it, no issues what so ever.

Just a thought, just a cheap and easy possible fix before ya end up having it welded and causing more possible damage.......... Good Luck either way
View Quote

This has past my mind, I was thinking about it but I still need the gun refinished so I figured if I can send it away to someone that does refinishing they could also weld it up and then do the refinish.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
What County in MD are you?

Call Bollinger Gunsmithing outside of Taneytown in Carroll County. Check them out over on MD Shooters, they have a Great reputation and does Great work! - 410-756-5454
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
So before I decide to send this bad boy off and get it fixed and refinished I figured I give it a go with what I have available.

I Used some JB weld and did my thing. I will say from the inside point of view the hole looks completely filled. Plus the outside doesnt look half bad.

I also went over the entire gun and ground down/smoothed a lot of rough edges. Just need to figure out what kind of paint job I should do and go from there.

Any Ideas on how I should paint this?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
There may be a thread over on HK Pro that you can search reference refinishing yourself and bake on yourself............
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There may be a thread over on HK Pro that you can search reference refinishing yourself and bake on yourself............
View Quote

Is there some sorta clear coat I can do? The wife likes the way it looks how it is now. You know all fucked up./
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#11]
You can do a DuraCoat finish yourself

https://www.lauerweaponry.com/

https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=888 - This is a Clear Coat

Or you can order a kit of any type ya want from Brownell's
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is there some sorta clear coat I can do? The wife likes the way it looks how it is now. You know all fucked up./
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I look at it this way, If your going to shoot the weapon. Why does it need to look pretty and perfect? Yeah, I want my weapons to look good but I shoot them and they do have scratches and dings!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, Looks like ya did a good job on the receiver by the way!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lets see a picture of the whole thing, i can not remember seeing a receiver in the white before.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lets see a picture of the whole thing, i can not remember seeing a receiver in the white before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill post up some pics once I get back from Morocco. I was basically working on this gun up until the time I left.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was told my a buddy (huge HK fan) that this guy has done extensive work on multiple weapons for him.  I've seen the guns and they are nicely done.

View Quote

Jayson does good work.  I have a Sig that he worked on for me, and I'm pleased with it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a partial picture of the one side.
I might just leave it like this and just throw a clear coat on the whole thing.

What do you think? leave it alone and clear coat it or go ahead and finish sanding and preparing it for paint

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top